Engine rattle

Discussions around the Mégane 225.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Trophy225
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport Trophy225

Engine rattle

Postby Trophy225 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:12 pm

Ive just had my timing belt replaced by a Renault dealer, drove home 3 miles parked the car up, this evening when i go to start it, the engine is rattling like mad and when i rev the engine the rattle got worse, i switched off the car immediately, i missed the dealership closing time, but im really naffed off, ive been to a dealer to have the timing belt done officially, really annoying, my brother in law says it sounds like the hydraulic tensioner, i havent a clue, can anyone shed any light on this please??

EDIT** The car is a Megane Reanultsport 225 Trophy on a 55 plate with 30,000 miles on the clock.

Funkycoldmadina
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane Sport 225 Cup

Re: Engine rattle

Postby Funkycoldmadina » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:32 pm

Sounds like your brother in law is right. I think the part is about £50.00 and your labour roughly the same plus VAT so your looking at just over a £100.00.

Trophy225
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport Trophy225

Postby Trophy225 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:25 am

I phoned Renault yesterday morning and was expecting the usual runaround, which i got, i asked to speak to the tech who did the timing belt kit, the girl on the service desk said it wasnt possible, to which i asked to speak to the manager! Of course he wasnt in at that time, so i said i would ring back, within 5 minutes the tech who did the job rang me back, arranged for my car to collected by breakdown service and he promised to update me throughout the day when they had inspected it.
Anyway it turned out that one of the pulleys was faulty and they fixed it washed my car put half a tank of juice in it and delivered it back, i couldnt believe it, Renault are famed for being absolute pricks, but i was impressed. Thanks for your input.

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:16 am

Impressed? Really? It wasn't the pulley's fault that they installed it incorrectly, then didn't check and then failed to diagnose the problem in a road test! What a fine example of deceptive language! How many other faults do you think they have introduced?

Think probabilities. Given the experience, let's assume unbelievably generous 90% that no other critical faults are added, which translates into 10% probability of failure in near future. If the outcome of the failure is a written off car (cambelt related), then you just lost £5000*10%=£500. Not bad? If, however, they also serviced the brakes, then this formula becomes slightly more complex:
£5000*5% + LIFE*5% = ???

Do the maths yourself, I don't have a calculator at hand... The best would be to rebuild everything.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Return to “Megane 225”