New Gearbox oil specified for Renaultsport - time to change

Discussions around the Mégane 225.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

New Gearbox oil specified for Renaultsport - time to change

Postby AlexB » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:42 pm

Hi guys! This is to let you know that a new oil is now specified for Renaultsport gearboxes (PK4...). This new oil is thin synthetic with potassium borate nanotechnology. It reduces friction considerably, which leads to more power at the wheels. If someone doesn't know, gearbox losses are 15-20% of the engine power. Cut a few % from here, and this will equate to quite a few horse forces at the wheels!

The oil in question is Tranself-nfp-75w80, which replaces TRX. It is suitable for RS-Cup LSD as well. The nanotechnology spec appeared only in 2011. If your car is older, then change the oil!

How do you think RS250 became RS265? If only they chose to use Miller's nanotechnology engine oil, then it would have become RS270!
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Re: New Gearbox oil specified for Renaultsport - time to cha

Postby AlexB » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:20 am

Received a question in PM...

To choose a right gearbox oil is more difficult than engine oil. This is because of conflicting requirements for the synchronizers and hypoid gears. You need friction in the former and no friction in the latter. Then comes the temperature range, which is a challenge, because the gearbox does not have a thermostat. Then wear, etc.

The top models come equipped with an LSD of gear type; these are tuned to have some particular friction under certain slip rates and load. Change the characteristics of the oil, and it will become detuned! So, upon experiments I came back to the OEM oil in my rs250 cup, just switched to the latest OEM spec oil as detailed in the earlier post.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

ChrisStark
Currently Drives:: Megane 2 RS
5-door Lux

Re: New Gearbox oil specified for Renaultsport - time to change

Postby ChrisStark » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:18 am

:hm Hi there! I'm new here. Just began reading. Now I wonder. I got a 2005 225 Lux (no cup). Should I change to the oil in your first post or not. What if I upgrade to the r26 gearbox (with LSD)? Sorry I'm from germany and I don't fully understand your posts if you recommend changing the oil or not... Thx mate :grin

Return to “Megane 225”