POWER STEERING FAULT

Discussions around the Mégane 225.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

ayjvee
Currently Drives:: MEGANE 225 CUP 2005

POWER STEERING FAULT

Postby ayjvee » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:52 am

Hi, this adds to the continuing saga of the heap of @#/* I bought called a Renault Megane Mk11 225 Cup (2005) in Sept 2012.
Since i last wrote the passenger door tray has been filling up with water and the boot locking mechanism seized up with me eventually breaking the 'latch' trying to open it!! I've just paid almost £200 to have these fixed. Both doors and front windows rattle, but hey ho, I turn the music up loud!
But now.... the power steering is playing up! It's erratic, but on too many occasions I turn a corner at slowish speed and the steering still wants to be turning after the corner! The steering becomes incredibly heavy and it takes quite some effort to get the car back on track so as to speak. (I'm sure I felt a slight 'click' the other day - or could i have imagined it?) Other times, the steering is fine. There are no warning lights showing anywhere and 80% of the time the steering is fine.
Would anyone have any ideas please, or maybe had the same problem?
Many thanks.

(My old 172 Clio is still in my garage as I've been unable to sell it to date - looks as though I'll have this beautiful little car back on the road with my rolling heap of a Megane taking it's place soon enough!)

ayjvee

Re: POWER STEERING FAULT

Postby ayjvee » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:12 pm

However, some of you might be interested to know that Renault will not supply the 'bearings' only for the hubs. (Cause of my steering problems) but only the complete hub at something like £500 per side!! After a bit of searching I found a garage in Derby who replace the bearings for £140 per side. I had both sides done though only one was really bad. They are Aaron's Autos and certainly knew what they were talking about (they race Renaults weekends) as well as doing a good job.
Hope this helps anyone with the same steering problem because I'm told it's fairly common.
Last edited by ayjvee on Thu May 16, 2013 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PAULHOULDEN
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: 225 R-sport

Postby PAULHOULDEN » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:26 am

arent you on meganesport.net? there are guys on there who specialize in this stuff, you wont get much help on this site for renaultsport

s88urd

Postby s88urd » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:44 pm

sounds like the lower swivel bearings, there is a guy on meganesport.net who can send you a set of refurbed hubs in return for a bit of dosh and your ones.
Also if you are getting a nasty click when you turn the wheel, this could be the steering rack bolts which can work loose (happened on mine)
if you need the contact number for the guy on meganesport just drop me a pm, I can vouch for him, he sorted me out (so to speak!)

Jameslaw
Currently Drives:: 2004 megane sport

Postby Jameslaw » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:27 am

Hi everyone join site this week, can anyone tell me where I can purchase new bearings for the steering hub, I have a 2004 sport, thanks

ayjvee

Postby ayjvee » Thu May 16, 2013 10:41 am

Hi,
This might be a bit of a late reply, but I had mine done at Aaron's Autos in Derby. They did both sides (replaced hub bearings) for £280 including VAT. I live in Wiltshire, but blended the repair in with family visit to North Yorkshire same day. Downside was, had to take the wife shopping in Derby whilst the car was sorted, but got dropped off, and collected, by garage. Nice job, friendly people, went on my way with perfect steering!!
www.aaronsautos.co.uk.
Hope this helps?

Return to “Megane 225”