Discussions around the Mégane 225.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Aquai
Currently Drives:: Megane 225 05

Stuttering at 2.5K Revs+

Postby Aquai » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:31 pm

Hi all,

I've had my 225 now for almost 9 months. It's now at 54k miles

It's an 05 plate and it's been running fine up until recently. The main issue I'm having is that when the car is accelerating heavily (anything over 2.5-3k revs) the engine appears to stutter and struggle and then the engine lights flashes on about 5 times before going off. This appears to be happening regardless of gear / speed.

I've been trying to figure out what this could be but no idea. The only thing that has changed recently is that I have topped up the oil?

I did also notice a clicking noise that sounded like it was coming from under the bonnet when idle about a week ago but have been unable to replicate since.

It is due in for a service within the next week or so but thought I would ask here so I could at least point the mechanic in the right direction if anyone has experienced this before?

Thanks

AMT1989
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Sport 225 silver (standard)

Re: Stuttering at 2.5K Revs+

Postby AMT1989 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:20 pm

i had a similar problem with mine but mine was rattling constantly
especially when the engine was cold and parked it felt like someone had a jackhammer at at the car

turned out to only be the top right (drivers side) engine mount thats located under the plastic cover next to the cam cover

its simple to change really and took an hour ish

take a look at yours. if you can see under the metal hood of it

if the part is not touching the top of the hood then theres a good chance it needs doing

if it looks like this then youll probably need a new one

where as new they look like

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:21 pm

If it is due according to the book, then bad news. Renault service intervals are unsuitable for most of us, and the garages mainly use "minimum spec" oil in servicing.

Aquai wrote:...It is due in for a service within the next week or so...s
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

MeganeMechanic
Currently Drives:: A rare 2005 2.0t 165

Postby MeganeMechanic » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:39 pm

The fact that the EML illuminated indicates that a fault code will be stored in the ECU and when read by the mechanic should point him in the right direction. Are you sure it was the EML and not the T/C light? Could just be wheel spin? If its any use I have a garage in the north east and would be happy to take a look.

Hope you get it sorted.

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:40 pm

If the engine struggles, it is not the mount point. As I wrote before, the problem can be caused by an inadequate service interval. If you service the car by the book or rely on garages to supply the oil, it is not good. That clicking may have come from the dephaser because of the oil problems.

Aquai wrote:Hi all,

I've had my 225 now for almost 9 months. It's now at 54k miles

It's an 05 plate and it's been running fine up until recently. The main issue I'm having is that when the car is accelerating heavily (anything over 2.5-3k revs) the engine appears to stutter and struggle and then the engine lights flashes on about 5 times before going off. This appears to be happening regardless of gear / speed.

I've been trying to figure out what this could be but no idea. The only thing that has changed recently is that I have topped up the oil?

I did also notice a clicking noise that sounded like it was coming from under the bonnet when idle about a week ago but have been unable to replicate since.

It is due in for a service within the next week or so but thought I would ask here so I could at least point the mechanic in the right direction if anyone has experienced this before?

Thanks
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Return to “Megane 225”