Few Issues

Discussions around the Mégane 225.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

dan-wrx
Currently Drives:: 96 Ford Fiesta 1.4 Si, Dual Controls, Lowered, Big Sounds :o)

Few Issues

Postby dan-wrx » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:47 pm

Great car, had it nearly 2 years, is a 2004 54 plate with 42k, 18's, panoramic roof, 6 disk in dash changer, full leather heated front seats etc and recently on the rollers ran 235bhp but feels like a lot more on the road, just a shame its not awd.

anyway just a few little niggles I would like to get sorted out, one or two been there since I purchased it for the mrs, and a more concerning one more recently.

Every morning the mrs is complaining she has to wipe the windows on the inside. It was only today after I drove it I noticed how bad this was getting. After driving the car for about 20 minutes and then leaving it, I returned and found all the glass including the sunroof and rear roof glass was completely steamed up. I havent looked at it yet and quite honestly dont fancy it too much in the cold weather atm, but I cant avoid it much longer. Are there any common faults I should be looking for? any common leaking points etc etc?

Cruise control has never worked unless you can hold the button in at the right point and continue to hold it. Again any common issues her?

Speed limiter, basicly same fault as the cruise control.

Steering lock, doesnt seem to engage, sometimes a clicking as you turn the wheel.

Airbag warning light is on, been on about 18 months, will be a MoT fail next year. I'm sure this is just the conector under the seat (I hope) as I constantly move the seat back and she moves it forwards. anything else I should look for and is it an easy fix?

When should cam belts be replaced and is it exspensive?

Think thats it but if anything else springs to mind then I will post it up.

All comments and help greatfully recieved.

Thanks.

gjonmat
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: nawt looking for a 225 :-(

Re: Few Issues

Postby gjonmat » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:53 am

cant help with much but the window thing every clio i have had did the same and got a 225 and yep any dampness at all ie climbing in with wet coat it steams up just the same altho i do like the quick demist button works a treat

morganjake1544
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Clio 1.5dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom 3 door in Oyster Grey Metallic

Postby morganjake1544 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:02 pm

Are there any common faults I should be looking for? any common leaking points etc etc?

Check that the carpets are dry and the under floor storage bins are dry also.
If they are wet it could mean the scuttle drains near the wipers are blocked and water is backing up and getting into the car.

Airbag warning light is on, been on about 18 months, will be a MoT fail next year. I'm sure this is just the conector under the seat (I hope)

Could also be the rotary switch in the steering column.

Probably same as most Meganes, 5 years or 72k miles, whichever comes first. Source the parts online and get an independent garage to do the job.

:)
Clio 1.5 dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom in Oyster Grey + Twingo GT in Pearl Black on a '58'.

dan-wrx
Currently Drives:: 96 Ford Fiesta 1.4 Si, Dual Controls, Lowered, Big Sounds :o)

Postby dan-wrx » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:18 pm

morganjake1544 wrote:
Are there any common faults I should be looking for? any common leaking points etc etc?

Check that the carpets are dry and the under floor storage bins are dry also.
If they are wet it could mean the scuttle drains near the wipers are blocked and water is backing up and getting into the car.

Airbag warning light is on, been on about 18 months, will be a MoT fail next year. I'm sure this is just the conector under the seat (I hope)

Could also be the rotary switch in the steering column.

Probably same as most Meganes, 5 years or 72k miles, whichever comes first. Source the parts online and get an independent garage to do the job.

Ok so I've had a look and theres water in the storage bins, shes also complained of occasional water dripping from the pedals??

whats with these scuttle drains?

Rotary switch issues, would that include hearing a clicking from the steering lock when turning the wheel?

morganjake1544
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Clio 1.5dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom 3 door in Oyster Grey Metallic

Postby morganjake1544 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:19 pm

Read this thread re scuttle drains, it may explain things better than I could.

http://www.meganeownersclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=20807

Rotary switch issues, would that include hearing a clicking from the steering lock when turning the wheel?

Yes it would.

Hope that helps .

Edit: See also https://www.meganesport.net/footwell.htm
Clio 1.5 dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom in Oyster Grey + Twingo GT in Pearl Black on a '58'.

dan-wrx

Postby dan-wrx » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:59 pm

success! managed to clear the drains and the water (a few inches deep in the scuttle) poured away.

think its going to take some time tho for all the sound proofing to dry out fully even after leaving it for a week indoor in the bath to drain.

so i move on, firstly, on re assembly, I noticed a connector that I dont remember taking out? can any one identify its purpose for me. the red one in the pic.

And after lots of reading here and else where onthe net, all symptoms of other faults point to the rotary switch assy, have phoned my main dealer and they want £184.72 :shock: anyone know where i can get this cheaper, car has the fogs and cruise control etc etc

thanks in advance.

morganjake1544
Advanced Driver

Postby morganjake1544 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:24 pm

Just a guess but the connector could be for the switch for heated seats as that's where the switches are if you have that option fitted.

Edit: Just spotted that you do have heated seats.

I think that £185 is probably not far off for the rotary switch unfortunately. Members also say to avoid second hand replacements as they are unreliable. :(

Search for user 'renaultpartsdirect' and PM him for a price. It's Paul Temperton BTW.
Here's their enquiry page. http://renaultpartsdirect.co.uk/pages/Contact-Us.html

Return to “Megane 225”