Auto socks (snow socks)

Used a good or bad product with your car? Share your experience here...

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

joeishmather
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: 57 megane with roof, engine, wheels, doors... All the usual things.

Auto socks (snow socks)

Postby joeishmather » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:26 pm

Just bought myself some autosocks from roof-box.co.uk so I can drive down and up my drive without sliding into the garden!lol

and maybe general use if weather gets any worse!

For anyone that's interested I'll give them a quick review once i've tried them, I'm hoping for snow tomorro lots, but only after there delivered!lol

joeishmather
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: 57 megane with roof, engine, wheels, doors... All the usual things.

Re: Auto socks (snow socks)

Postby joeishmather » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:28 pm

the a$$holes have only just contacted me today letting me know their out of stock, this is after i phoned to enquire about where my order was and they told me it was on its way with the courier, a$$holes

joeishmather
F1 Driver

Postby joeishmather » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:44 pm

i have now ordered chains from these guys :https://www2.westfalia.net/static/Terms_and_Conditions.3655.0.html? and they have guaranteed that they have them in stock! :-)

Ray
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Privilege - Now Sold

Postby Ray » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:52 pm

i am curious to know if they're good

joeishmather
F1 Driver

Postby joeishmather » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:12 pm

which the socks or chains, lol

saw someone shredding up the sock things today, after seeing that i decided to get the chains ive ordered..

Paddy
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane Saloon 2.0 VVT Dynamique

Postby Paddy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:01 pm

Chains can be nasty lad.

Dont do the rims any justice.

I have seen loads of folk here with snow socks.

I am interested how they hold up over tarmac. For when between icy patchs. Wouldn't want to have to stop and take them off come the main roads.

joeishmather
F1 Driver

Postby joeishmather » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:14 pm

bloke up my road has some socks, totally shredded!lol
ive got chains now, n steel wheels just 2 to put on the front so no chance of damaging my alloys, besides my new alloys arent on yet so dont particularly care about these ones!lol

AndyAdmin
Site Admin

Postby AndyAdmin » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:22 pm

my mate got some snow socks for his BMW over christmas, i was seriously impressed with them, quite tempted to get some my self, the only trouble is getting them on and off if you dont have much room between the tyre and the wheel arch.
Form is temporary, class is permanent.

Beer Reviews Beer Blog

It's Chilli up North.

joeishmather
F1 Driver

Postby joeishmather » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:16 pm

I think snow socks generally are best for uk, just that they wear out so fast.
Still not had any snow to try my chains on, went to a rediculously muddy, 4x4 route which I piped the chains on for, worked a charm n was great fun. Washing the car wasn't all that great afterwards tho!lol

arran.vigar
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Megane II 03

Postby arran.vigar » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:49 pm

Just so you know unless you have a constant 1-2+ foot of snow it is not advised to use chains, not only can they ruin your tyres and rims but also destroy the tarmac. Snow socks are a lot better for shallow snow and ice, and you don't have to take them off when on bare tarmac for short periods. Most local motor factors stock them during winter

Marti73
Currently Drives:: BMW R1150RS

Postby Marti73 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:27 am

Can I suggest these, Michelin Composite Snow Chains. Used them for two winters on my Toyota Prius (worst car ever but that's another story) No damage to the alloys and kept us safe on icey Devon hills closed to traffic. A big elastic net pulled over the tires, just keep some garden gloves in the car. SNow Socks by comparison, appear to be made out of fairy wings or angel dust or something. Too many stories of them shredding and wrapping around the brakes.

May consider winter tires this year. Extra grip until it's really bad then fit the Snow Chains.

Obviously adding an image to the forum is for folk smarter than me but you can Google "Michelin Composite Snow Chains" and find them for £70 - £90

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Postby Stranger » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:13 am

Marti73 wrote:Can I suggest these, Michelin Composite Snow Chains. Used them for two winters on my Toyota Prius (worst car ever but that's another story) No damage to the alloys and kept us safe on icey Devon hills closed to traffic. A big elastic net pulled over the tires, just keep some garden gloves in the car. SNow Socks by comparison, appear to be made out of fairy wings or angel dust or something. Too many stories of them shredding and wrapping around the brakes.

May consider winter tires this year. Extra grip until it's really bad then fit the Snow Chains.

Obviously adding an image to the forum is for folk smarter than me but you can Google "Michelin Composite Snow Chains" and find them for £70 - £90

Here's a link to an aricle on them together with a vid showing them in action too :D
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

Return to “Product Tests”