The usual - DCI 1.9 Turbo.....

Any questions you may have before you buy or receive your car can go in here!!

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

scrotyballbags

The usual - DCI 1.9 Turbo.....

Postby scrotyballbags » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:14 am

Hi all

RY52 ... , 2003 Megane Dynamique 120 DCI 1.9

I have just put a deposit down on a lovely example of the above Megane II, spotless on the outside, 61K FSH. I have now just found out about the turbo issues people have been having and am obviously very concerned. I guess this is no longer covered by the 5 year extended renault offering in response to the turbo issues, have there been any stories about Renault still covering the repairs after 5 years on low mileage examples?

If the turbo was going to have an issue would it have happened by now or is it a veritable ticking time bomb? Are there any giveaway signs before fauilure such as noise and can they be checked cheaply for wear? I really was looking for a dependable vehicle to last me at least a few years but i am now worried sick, perhaps i should forego my deposit and walk away?

I am buying from a dealer (not renault) so would i have any comeback with thenm should a failure occur (fit for purpose etc) There is an AA silver warranty for 3 months with this vehicle, perhaps i could try to upgrade to gold for a couple of years?

Any suggestions would be more than welcome?

scrotyballbags

Re: The usual - DCI 1.9 Turbo.....

Postby scrotyballbags » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:35 am

Oh and just to add to this, if the turbo/pipes/intercooler has been replaced with the better versions, is there a way i can tell?

UPDATE: Spoke to RCS and they said they cannot tell me if any remedial or upgrade has been undertaken on this vehicle due to data protection. I was told to contact the previous owner?

Toosh
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 03 Megane 1.9 dCi 120 Dynamique Sport Hatch in Black.
Nervasport alloys, Comfort Pack, Full Leather interior, 6 Disc CD Changer,
Panoramic Roof, and loads more stuff.

Re: The usual - DCI 1.9 Turbo.....

Postby Toosh » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:49 pm

It all depends on how much of a deposit you have put down really.

I was in the same boat as you this time last year, i bought my 03 dCi last jan and after putting a deposit down started looking on the net for clubs and other stuff and came across the turbo problems on the Parkers forum. Like you i sh1t my pants.

A year on i mine as been fine, you need to find out its history, making sure it has been serviced properly and more importantly it has had the correct oil put in.

If you do decide to have it i would change the oil straight away anyway with the correct stuff and carry on doing that every 9000 miles at least.

First port of call is to ring the previous owner.

Oh nearly forgot if the turbo is on its way out it will whistle really loudly. Hope this helps.

Im sure more folks will be along soon with advice.
Black 03 Megane dCi 120 Dynamique Sport Hatch. Gone but not forgotten.
Black 56 Pug 207 GT 1.6 Turbo

Return to “Pre Ownership Questions”