How can I tell if it has ESP?

Any questions you may have before you buy or receive your car can go in here!!

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Bludger

How can I tell if it has ESP?

Postby Bludger » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:28 am

Hi Everyone, I am pleased to be here, this is my first post. I am about to buy a 2004 Megane hatch. The owner says it has electronic stability program (ESP)....but how can I tell just buy looking at it :?: :?

louiserd
Passed Theory

Re: How can I tell if it has ESP?

Postby louiserd » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:32 am

Panl where the headlight adjuster and dimming control is, there should be a button there for it.

Bludger

Postby Bludger » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:38 am

:cry: So obviously you can turn it off........why is that? Does it act like traction control as well??? :?

louiserd
Passed Theory

Postby louiserd » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:47 am

It is a form of traction control. It might be switched off during snow/mud etc. to allow you full control.

louiserd
Passed Theory

Postby louiserd » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:52 am

Perhaps I should clarify before somebody jumps on the comment of it being a form of traction control...

TC is supposed to prevent the loss of traction when excessive power is used for the given road surface parameters.
ESP tries to keep steering whilst traction is lost, through using the ABS system and applying brakes individually to each wheel.

In my eyes, both are forms of "traction control" - just hav difference goals and means of achieving it.

Bludger

Postby Bludger » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:03 pm

:?: I don't follow......wouldn't it be better in mud and snow??? to keep the car more "in control" :?:

louiserd
Passed Theory

Postby louiserd » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:11 pm

Depends entirely on the situation, hence the ability to turn it off.

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:52 pm

On gravel, deep snow and mud you may want to block your diff (or diffs in case of 4x4) and switch the ABS off, not talking of ESP. This is, of course, if you have a skill to drive under such conditions and if the tyres are adequate. On tarmac, however, ABS gives significant advantages regardless skills, so most of us would want to stick to it. Correct me if I am wrong, but ESP is mainly designed for tarmac. Read the web site of NCAP. ESP significantly reduces the average risk under average conditions.

BTW, have anyone tried adding fresh raspberries to Armagnac?

Bludger wrote::?: I don't follow......wouldn't it be better in mud and snow??? to keep the car more "in control" :?:
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

louiserd
Passed Theory

Postby louiserd » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:09 pm

Yep, ESP is mainly for negotiating difficult turns at speed, where most people would typically lose control. However, in specific conditions, it can cause you problems, hence why in the vast majority of cars it is switchable (but will come back on at a certain speed).

It compares intended direction (from steering) with actual direction (inferred from yaw, individual wheel velocity and lateral acceleration of the car), this allows lowering of under or over steer.

Turning it off just allows total freedom, nothing special.

Bludger

Postby Bludger » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:33 pm

Some great answers there. Thankyou for your information.

Return to “Pre Ownership Questions”