Im considering getting...

Any questions you may have before you buy or receive your car can go in here!!

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

bud572

Im considering getting...

Postby bud572 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:42 pm

Hi everyone!

Im new to the site after I found it via google - whilst searching for megane's.

At the moment I own a mk4 1.6 16v VW Golf, and I considering selling it and going for a megane - but, I need to know a few things before hand and I was wondering if you all here would be able to convert me across to you all? :D

Anyway, a few questions or so if its not too much trouble...

Is the colour coded body standard on them?
whats it like room wise for a 6ft 3" guy?
I presume they can have 18" wheels?

Something which is important to me is the interior, I spend alot of time in my car and I dont like basic stuff...

so which models are best for gadgets etc? If anybody has pics of the interiors that would be superb!
Can they have a 7" screen for DVD / Satnav built into the dash? (even if its not factory fitted).

Ive got budgets of about £9,500 of which, my aims are to get insurance cheaper (most insurance I could go for is something like the 2.0 VVT model) so sports models are unfortunately a no no (I think).

I preferably would like something like a 1.6 then I can add things to etc... You all get the idea, am I boring you all? haha

Thats all for now everyone, Ive been having a quick look round looks a good site.

:cool:

GreyMeg
Learner Driver

Postby GreyMeg » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:24 pm

Welcome to the forum, i'll answer what questions i can, all bumpers are colour coded except for the rubbing strips which on lower models is black, dynamique have grey coloured inserts which work on some colour especailly mine (Holagram Grey) i am talking about used models, not sure about new ones - I'm 6'2'' and 18 stone so room is not an issue but i would say rear legroom is tight behind drivers seat if that is an issue.
I would go for a diesel as you get economy power and low insurance/tax mine is a 120bhp 6 speed dynamique, which has climate, heated seats, all round elec windows, electric panoramic roof auto lights, auto wipers, global closing, hands free entry/start etc....and theres a few models above mine so there not short of equipment, Get one with waranty as fixes can be expensive, i also have 18s on mine so your ok there, i'm sure theres loads i've missed by the other guys on here will fill in the missing bits and correct me if i'm wrong..
2004 1.9dci - 18'' Spyder Blacks - Black Lexus Lights - MP3 - Panoramic Roof - Climate - Heated Seats

Ray
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Privilege - Now Sold

Postby Ray » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:03 pm

[quote="GreyMeg"]I would go for a diesel as you get economy power and low insurance/tax mine is a 120bhp 6 speed dynamique, which has climate, heated seats, all round elec windows, electric panoramic roof auto lights, auto wipers, global closing, hands free entry/start etc....[quote]
climate control, heated seats, panoramic roof are all options btw. :cool: rest is standard though.

bud572

Postby bud572 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:08 pm

Thanks loads for the reply GreyMeg, Love the look of your car by the way.

So, What are the top and bottom models? Is dynamique is pretty good model because that is one which I was looking at.

GreyMeg
Learner Driver

Postby GreyMeg » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:13 am

I think it goes Authentique (lowest) - Expression - Oasis (special edition Expression) - Rush (special edition Expression) - Dynamique - Privilage & 225
As Ray mentioned Climate, Heated Seats & Panoramic Roof are options but if you search most have the roofs at least...

Dynamique is a good spec. not quite Privilage but well up there also bear in mind the euro encap of 5 so if the unthinkable happen you know you & yours are in the best place.

Funny enough i part ex'd my Bora 7 months ago for my Megane and although i've had a few bills i am more than happy with it, build quality is not quite as good but the equipment level is far better, i would try to buy post 2003 as the quality seem to jump up after then.

Good luck with the search & remember the Warranty! :biggrin:
2004 1.9dci - 18'' Spyder Blacks - Black Lexus Lights - MP3 - Panoramic Roof - Climate - Heated Seats

Jonault
Advanced Driver

Postby Jonault » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:34 pm

The basic models have steel wheels with plastic trims. I think these are 15". the mid range vehicles have the Nervastella 16" alloys whilst the top of the range have the 17" Nervasport alloys. I'm not sure what wheels you get with the 225, R26 or cup models.
1.4 Hatch, Ottoman Blue, 55 Reg, Dynamique

bud572

Postby bud572 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:47 pm

I went into renault today, and I think I have to say... Im gunna go for a Megane... Im probably going to go for the 1.6 Dynamique - I was also considering a diesel so who knows yet... either way, I was extremely impressed with them and its deffo the path im going down.

Renault said they would only give me 2k for my golf, so, Im going to be selling that privately as for my golf they're selling at £3500 - £4000... as soon as thats sold Im on the hunt :D

Quick question for you all, I really like the rear of the sports megane's, with the double exhaust and different bumper etc... does anybody know how much as a guess this would cost to have it done as a mod?

kylehimself
Pass Plus

Postby kylehimself » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:53 pm

hi bud572,

i have a 1.4 Dynamique. my bumper molds are they grey colourd ones. i also have 18" wheels. you can get 19's if you want they fit ok. im 6'2 1/2, room for me is great, for the person behind me... not so great. the standard kit is great 'n' all. i would defo go for a meg with a bigger engine, but to my knowledge the 1.6 give alot of hassel. probably should bag yourself a diesel. im a fan of the vw golf mk4 to now, but serious mate... get yourself a Meg!

altho this isnt a sellin' point. as im sure your aware megs get a bit of a bad rep for bein' unreliable. but like everythin', people always remember the bad ones. mine is goin' into is 4th year and any problems ive ever had where fixed by me with the help of people on here. and im not the most technical guy when it comes to cars. so hopefully if you get one it will be a nice reliable meg like mine!

here's a wee pic.

kylehimself
Pass Plus

Postby kylehimself » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:57 pm

bud572 wrote:Quick question for you all, I really like the rear of the sports megane's, with the double exhaust and different bumper etc... does anybody know how much as a guess this would cost to have it done as a mod?

renault i think are lookin' like 300 a bumper. then youve gotta get it sprayed n that. you can get after market fibreglass ones from carzone specials and ebay for like 300 the set. if you get the fg ones tho you will have to get the grills elsewhere as they only supply mesh.

this guy stevie has a 1.4 but done it like a renault sport, it looks the nuts
http://meganeownersclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6589

kyle :cool

bud572

Postby bud572 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:39 pm

hey Kyle,

Thanks for responding! Ive just been looking around and I notice theres absolutely LOADS of choice which are well under my budget, its crazy!

The 1.4 which is done like a sports does look nice you're right, I think im going to be doing that :)

How have you found the 1.4's for acceleration, cruising, faults, etc etc?

Thanks,
Jonathan.

kylehimself
Pass Plus

Postby kylehimself » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:57 pm

well mate, the only other cars ive been in to compare my old 1.3 fiesta, my dads avensis 1.8 and my bros bmw 1.9 318 coupe :lol: so as you would imagine it doesnt compare to them and to be honest the wee fiesta was much nippier :lol: the 1.4 does lack in oomph, theres not much pull in it. its a very heavy car for such an engine. however, if like me you don't rake the bag outta the car and just drive normally day to day and are moor bothered about how it looks then its sweet! struggles on steep hills tho. 2nd gear all the way! guys on here told me recently that the 1.5 deisel is great wee motor, should maybe consider that?

faults wise ive had none, i got a good bit of water in the door pockets but i sorted that out with plastic sheetin', fine since then.

i really fancy goin' for the RS look too and have done for a while, but im still payin' the car off and with MOT's tax and loads of b'days comin' up and valentines day. im havin' to do it very slowly. but mate if you have the mulla go for it. it looks great!

kyle
:cool:

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:58 pm

1.5dCi 100 or 106

Cheap tax £35 :-) (dCi 106 with sunroof is £115 :( )
Good fuel economy :-)
Good performance :-) (even better when chipped!) :-P

If your 6'3" you might struggle to fit in a Megane with a sunroof depending on your driving position. :?

I do! :(
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

Jonault
Advanced Driver

Postby Jonault » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:15 pm

Comparing the performance of the 1.4, I have had a C reg 1.3 Toyota Corolla and a P reg Nissan Almera 1.4 that both felt quicker off the mark. However, top end cruising the Megane is better with good overtaking when you get the revs above 3,500rpm. The Megane also goes quicker around corners and holds the road well. Average mpg is about 34mpg for quite a bit of around town driving. Best I've had was 40.5mpg on a long run that was mostly motorway.
1.4 Hatch, Ottoman Blue, 55 Reg, Dynamique

paulcoyle

choices choices

Postby paulcoyle » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:20 pm

If it was my ten grand I would opt for a 1.9 dci 120bhp 6 speed

For all the toys go for the dymamique spec, the insurance for diesels is cheaper considering the torque they can kick out. The 1.9 dci is about gp 8-10, low emissions means cheaper road tax.

If you look at pics of the interior there is a nice space for your flip-screen tv
megane gt mineral blue 180bhp diesel (ecu remap), superglass with tints.

megane 1.6 extreme, otto blue

clio 1.2 ripcurl black metallic

megane 230 soon end of feb

rach74
Learner Driver

Postby rach74 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:36 am

for all the toys go for the privilege range

Return to “Pre Ownership Questions”