2003 1.9dci

Any questions you may have before you buy or receive your car can go in here!!

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

JAMSIEBOI

2003 1.9dci

Postby JAMSIEBOI » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:06 pm

hi just signed up

im looking at a 2003 1.9dci 3 door megane dynamique with lots of toys, wondering if there is anything i should be aware of ive looked through the owners problems but it hasnt really answered my questions.

any issues with the turbo
are the electrics as bad as people make out especially key-less entry
heard some problems with the brakes aswell.
anything in general i should know

any advice would be much appreciated

james

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:04 am

You've seen my messages in the sticky thread. Don't buy reg 03 due to turbo problems caused by ECU and oil issues. I am not sure about late 03-s, check the fabrication number first. Reg 53 and later are OK.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

potdci
Learner Driver

Postby potdci » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:00 pm

My 03 has been fine, pleanty of oil changes :cool:
DARK MET BLUE DCI 120 + DTUK TUNING BOX & K&N Air Filter.

Mrs J

Don't do it!

Postby Mrs J » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:17 pm

I bought a Renault Megane dynamique, DCI 120, 1.9 registration '53', last year in May. Like you, I was wowed by all the little gadgets, and spent months discovering them all. Since then it has caused me no end of problems.
:vio
1. During the heavy rains of last 'summer' the car's ECU got soaked through with water and became corroded. This then caused the car to have some sort of manic attack, with all the lights on the dash board lit up, and windscreen wipers refusing to stop etc. £280 later the Renault garage managed to dry out the wires and get the ECU working again.

2. Since that awful experience the automatic windscreen wipers don't work (which means no intermittent wipe - frustrating!!), and the boot pops open randomnly in wet weather.

3. I have had problems with water ingress (a very typical problem with these cars I've discovered on this site). Water in the floor storage compartment on the driver's side. Also in the door pocket on the passenger side. There was water pouring down from under the dashboard somewhere, but think I have now fixed that (removed bulk head cover, and found the drainage tube was plugged with something the garage must have dropped down it by accident).

4. Rogers Rescue has just this moment put my car on one of their trucks, and driven it away to be fixed again. Who knows what's wrong with it this time! It wouldn't start. I expect that the ECU has something to do with it.

Please think carefully about buying a Megane from 2003 at least, and be wary of any that have taken a while to sell or smell of air freshener (to cover the damp smell). When I get mine fixed, and cleaned you're welcome to buy it off me! At least you know what you'd be getting!! :lover:

FieldsOfFire

Postby FieldsOfFire » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:00 pm

Had '03 1.9 dci dynamique for around 8 months
Fantastic car!
Just got average 52mpg out of it on a 340 mile round trip last weekend, usually more around the 48/49 mark though
Had one problem with it since we've had it which was the steering lock...completely froze up, had to be taken away and have the steering lock replaced.
No issue with turbo as yet, keyless entry has been fine. Brakes do squeal high pitched & fairly loudly from time to time, this is an intermittent problem, have checked discs and calipers. No explanation can be found although the brakes will still put you through windscreen if you want them to!
There is also often a rattle from panoramic sunroof at low revs, but a quick open and shut always solves it.
Hope this helps

Return to “Pre Ownership Questions”