Things to go wrong

Any questions you may have before you buy or receive your car can go in here!!

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

LizAyre

Things to go wrong

Postby LizAyre » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:19 pm

I'm not sure how to use this chat thing, so apologies!

I am thinking of buying a 2ltr automatic megane from a family member.

The only issue I have is that it's got a lot of mod cons...it's got sat nav, heated seats, reversing warning beebs etc etc, and I'm concerned that when it comes to getting this thing serviced it's going to cost me an arm and a leg!

Aside from that, I always think the more a car has, the more there is to go wrong!

Does anyone have any of these features, and if so, what are your experiences with them failing, getting them fixed etc? I can't afford to be constantly getting the car seen to.

Many thanks!

Privilege
Advanced Driver

Postby Privilege » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:56 pm

The amount of options it has will not make it any more expensive to service and as you are buying it from a family member, they should be able to tell you how reliable it has been and what repairs have been necessary.

I had a bad experience with the Proactive automatic gearbox when I had my 2006 model, which resulted in a new gearbox after only 3,000 miles. Check it carefully for proper operation and smooth changes. Any lumpy/thumping changes - leave well alone.

Mine was a 1.6 auto and it wasn't that ecomical, but the 2.0 litres maybe ok as its more powerful and therefore doesn't have to work so hard, but again, they should be able to give you an idea of MPG. Also check out what VED group it is too.
Audi A3 Sportback: Mar 07: 1.6 SE: Tiptronic: Dolphin Grey

Return to “Pre Ownership Questions”