Megane 11 1.9dCi 130 questions

Any questions you may have before you buy or receive your car can go in here!!

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Setanta

Megane 11 1.9dCi 130 questions

Postby Setanta » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:10 am

I have a 2001 Scenic 1 1.4 and, apart from a few coil problems, I have been very happy with the car. However, do to a rise in the number of family members, the time has now come to change cars. I am about to buy a new Grand Scenic 1.9dCi 130 but before I do I have a few questions to ask if anyone can help me.

Bearing in mind all cars have problems, does the history of turbo problems on Renaults relate to a particular model or year group or have the potential turbo problems been 'sorted' with the latest models?

I prefer the 'feel' of a diesel car but should I avoid the diesel and go for a 1.6 petrol model in the interests of long-term reliability?

Are all 1.9 dci 130hp models FAP?

What are the differences in service intervals between FAP and non FAP models?

Are there any other things to be looking out for whem test driving/checking the vehicle before purchase?

Sorry if this is a lot to ask but it is a big purchase and I want to get it right.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:46 pm

Welcome along :wave

The Turbo problems are now resolved (re-design of components and shorter service intervals)

Not all 1.9dCi's are not FAP fitted (just the auto's I think?)
Service intervals are:
9000 for FAP models and 12000 for none FAP OR 1 year WHICH EVER IS SOONER.
There are some very specific operating instrustions for FAP fitted models

Have you considered a 1.5dCi 106 or a 2.0dCI 150?

Are you buying brand new?
Have you considered a Renault to Go car?
https://www.renault.co.uk/ApprovedUsed/UVHome.aspx
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

Setanta

Postby Setanta » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:34 pm

Hi Ian, thanks for the prompt response.

Good to hear the turbo probs. seem to be sorted.

I now have to ask are the 1.5 106 or 2.0 150 diesels a better long term prospect than the 1.9 130?

When you asked if I was buying new or second-hand you hit a wee nerve there!

I had looked at 'Renault to Go' second-hand prices but they are about the same or higher than the new car I am contemplating buying. I am speaking from Northern Ireland and my local Renault franchised dealers will not shift one penny from their ticket prices - either new or second hand. For a car dealer this seems to be an unusual and self-defeating practice but there you go.

With almost any make of car of 1 to 2 years old prices here are higher than anywhere else. For example, many people are now going to England, buying a car and bringing it back and are still saving enough money to make it worth their while.

My original Scenic was an import and I was initially apprehensive about taking this route but now, seven years later, I know it was the right decision. All servicing was carried out by Renault franchised dealers and any warranty work was honoured by Renault - as is their legal obligation in these matters.

The proposed new car is also a UK spec. vehicle with a three year warranty. I would take the perhaps psychologically easier route and buy from a franchised dealer if the price difference was only a grand or so but we are talking about a saving of nearly 5 grand over what my local dealer is demanding for what is essentially the same thing!

Anyway, rant over. I do prefer a diesel but initially considered the 1.5 or 2.0 versions would be either too underpowered or overpowered for my needs but now am not so sure. I would be interested in finding out the relative merits of each type of power unit before making a decision.

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:52 pm

That's odd because lots of car supermarkets sell imports over here for a lot less than main dealers! :lol:

Any hoo!

Don't dismiss the 1.5dCi until you've driven one. My Megane dCi 100(sports saloon) was pretty quick for a heavy car. It was good on fuel and could hold it's own in comparison with my dad's 1.9dCi Megane, plus it was 2 insurance groups less as well.

The new 106dCi's are more powerful and have more tourqe so might be alright in the Scenic?
The 1.9dCi's are very good and the new 2.0dCi's are fantastic engines (I've now got a 2.0dCi Laguna Sport Tourer)
They are a little grumbly at low speed but very smooth and quiet when running, and very quick. :police :D
So no, I don't think the 2.0 will be overpowered for the Scenic nor do I think the 1.5 will be underpowered. Best thing to do is try and get a test drive in the various models, and make a choice on what sort of driving you are going to do in it.

Happy hunting :cool:
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

30something
Learner Driver

Postby 30something » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:59 pm

Any of the diesels will be an hugely improved driving experience over the 1.4 petrol. I drove a 1.5 80hp diesel Scenic for a year and is was surprisingly ok, so the 1.5 106hp will be fine.

adrimo

Postby adrimo » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:35 pm

i bought a grand scenic 2.0 auto and im very happy with it, i chose the petrol as i dont do enough miles to warrant the extra cost of car or price of the fuel itself.

however my next car in maybe 3/4 years will be a diesel as i just prefer the power low down. my last car was an alhambra 1.8T auto

i would go for the 1.9 but look at the torque figures for the 1.5 ignore bhp as with a g scenic i doubt you will ever be doing 5500rpm anywhere.

in 7 months my car has not put a foot wrong i got mine new and saved about 4k on list price so come to england if you have to.

good luck

Bumpy macaroon
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: a megane.................doh

Postby Bumpy macaroon » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:19 pm

changed a 2L 16v laguna for a 1.5 dci 106 meg a month ago purely for economy, but what an engine, true its noisy at low speed but good and torquy giving enough pace and not feeling underpowered, my wife has a 1.4 petrol meg which she loves saying its nippy until Monday when she took the Derv in i had to fight for the key back. plus hitting 60mpg and £35 year road tax whats not to like.......
Bumpy and full of coconuts.
05 1.4 Otto blue Rush Mods: Keyed by some B*%"£~!, interior LEDs
57 106 dci Silver Dynamique Mods: Daughters first baby adidas trainers, Interior LEDs, self made MP3 adaptor

Return to “Pre Ownership Questions”