1.5 DCi

Any questions you may have before you buy or receive your car can go in here!!

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

SoonToBeRenaultMan

1.5 DCi

Postby SoonToBeRenaultMan » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:46 am

Can anybody give any thoughts or advice please ?
I am considering getting a 1.5DCi Megane not sure 3 or 5 door yet prefer the sporty looks of the 3 but 5 would be more practical.

What mainly appeals to me is the great MPG and 35pounds a year road tax as I do a lot of miles. I'm not bothered about blistering prformance if it can cruise at 90 on the motorway.

Are they reliable ?
How do they handle ?

I look forward to any advice.

Martyn.

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:59 am

Welcome to the club :wave

I'm not bothered about blistering prformance if it can cruise at 90 on the motorway.

The maximum speed limit is 70mph my dear boy! :police ;)

Are they reliable ?
How do they handle ?

Yes much more so than they used to be and they handle very well, although if you read the motoring press, not as well as a Focus.

A 5dr would be more practical, but if that's not needed save some money and get a 3dr.

Good luck choosing :cool:
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Postby Stranger » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:01 am

I think it's a superb engine, the OH has the 86 version in her Modus. Reliable? All I can say is that she's not had any engine problems with this one or the last one that she had, regularly returns 55+mpg and like you say £35 per annum RFL is not to be sneezed at. Pulls well from standing and through the gears, plenty of torque and will cruise all day long at 70mph.

I don't know the weight difference between a 3 and a 5 door Meg (should be easy for you to find) but it would be something to bear in mind.

Oh and welcome along btw :tu
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

bucky
Learner Driver

Postby bucky » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:41 pm

Hi Welcome, I have this engine in my heavier cc and I find it performs very well returning 49-50 mpg. The only thing that annoys me is when travelling at about 55-60 mph on a roads you are constanly changing down and back up again if there is a slight incline in the road. Having said this, this is my first diesel car and I have always driven powerful petrol cars so the frequent having to change down might be normal for a lower powered car?
megane cc 106dci 57reg quartz

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:57 pm

Yes but the CC weigh's as much as an elephant. :lool:

Drive it in 5th instead of 6th and it will pull much better at those speeds
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

bucky
Learner Driver

Postby bucky » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:31 pm

I have got into the habit of rarely using 5th and tend to get up to speed in 4th as it pulls really well and then straight into 6th. What does suprise me is that on the motorway at 70mph it pulls in 6th with ease when othertaking or hitting an incline.
Sorry if I am asking a stupid question but does this engine have a turbo, I find that through the gears it starts flat but then you get a sudden thrust of power about 2000rpm.

Thanks Colin
megane cc 106dci 57reg quartz

SoonToBeRenaultMan

Postby SoonToBeRenaultMan » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:21 pm

Thanks for the welcome and comments.
I was trying to figure out the difference between the 86 and 100bhp outputs.
The stats 0-60, top speed, mpg etc don't seem to be any different between the 2 ?

IainMW
F1 Driver

Postby IainMW » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:40 am

Bucky

The Turbo only starts to really work with any gusto above 2000 rpm.
If you are in to high a gear and below this rev range the car will not pull (Turbo Lag!)
As I said the CC is a heavy beastie and the 1.5dCi 106 engine will need to be worked to get the best performance out of it. You've got 177lb ft of torque moving a car that weighs 150kg more than a standard Megane hatchback! :shock:

SoonToBeRenaultMan

The 100bhp engines are a little quicker and a little better on fuel than the 80bhp engines.

Gav
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Sport Tourer, 1.5 dCi 106

Postby Gav » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:57 pm

I'm very pleased with mine, driving approx 15k a year mostly cross country. To me it handles well (Iain said the journos say not as well as a Focus, and that's probably true since the Focus is a lot wider - meaning if I'd had one it'd need new sides), and the performance is no problem at all. Excellent mpg, and comfortable too. I've found on the motorway the economy doesn't suffer too bad the faster you go...
06 Extreme Blue 1.5dCi 106 Dynamique Sport Tourer with panoramic sunroof and Dension Gateway

Margaretdorothy2

Postby Margaretdorothy2 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:21 am

:D I Have the 1.5dCI-86 and I am very pleased with both performance and m.p.g. I have just returned today from South Wales, a round trip of 470miles, and I got a return of 63.4 miles per gallon this achieved on average combining Motorway A and B roads plus a couple of traffic backups, i am really chuffed at the average, as this is the first time I have ever achieved such a great mpg, and I certainly didn't find any problem with the performance where possible did 70mph with great ease, a pleasure to drive.

Wish you all the luck with your purchase.
Margaret

SoonToBeRenaultMan

Postby SoonToBeRenaultMan » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:45 pm

Thanks.
I see there are a few of us in or around Lancashire.

JPB
Passed Theory

Postby JPB » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:08 pm

Hi there, we have two of the 106 meganes, a 3 and a 5 door. Both have been really reliable. 3dr done 28K trouble free the 5dr 20K all fine.Be carefull with the road tax as the 5dr goes up to £110 a year if you put options on especially the sunroof. You can put all the options you like on the 3dr the tax stays the same at a laughable £35. IMHO I'd get the 3dr and with the cash you save buy some nice options.. :-P
So Good We have two. Well that's what I Thought at First:

jason
Currently Drives:: GT 150

Re: 1.5 DCi

Postby jason » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:20 pm

SoonToBeRenaultMan wrote:Can anybody give any thoughts or advice please ?
I am considering getting a 1.5DCi Megane not sure 3 or 5 door yet prefer the sporty looks of the 3 but 5 would be more practical.

What mainly appeals to me is the great MPG and 35pounds a year road tax as I do a lot of miles. I'm not bothered about blistering prformance if it can cruise at 90 on the motorway.

Are they reliable ?
How do they handle ?

I look forward to any advice.

Martyn.

Hello Martyn
Good car fella but if you can find the extra pennies go for 1.5 Dci 106BHP Will save you having to down shift all the time Road tax £105 per year
still very good MPG......

Jason :driving
Megane II GT 150 "07"

30something
Learner Driver

Postby 30something » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:06 pm

The road tax is only £35 on the 106hp, well mine is anyway!

JPB
Passed Theory

Postby JPB » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:53 pm

The road tax is £35 for the 106bhp 1.5D 3dr regardless of the options, so you can get the sunroof with the 3dr, and not pay any extra.
The road tax for the 5dr is £35, without the sunroof, and £115 with the sunroof.
As for mpg get between 50 -55 mpg, running 80 miles a day.
So Good We have two. Well that's what I Thought at First:

Return to “Pre Ownership Questions”