Megane 1.6 VVT Automatic

Any questions you may have before you buy or receive your car can go in here!!

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Woody Woo
Pass Plus

Megane 1.6 VVT Automatic

Postby Woody Woo » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:49 pm

Hello

I am thinking of buying another Megane. This time I want a 1.6 VVT and I want automatic gearbox. I don't know why really, maybe I'm getting old. :(
I have enjoyed the dCi Megane but I don't do enough miles to justify a diesel.
Do you think my idea is a good one?
I have also considered a Focus but then I would be a traitor. We first bought Renaults in the late 1970s. Old habits die hard. :D

Renault 4 Life :)

renier
Pass Plus

Postby renier » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:45 pm

I've got a Megane II automatic and think it's great, never want a manual anymore, it's so relaxed driving, this has nothing to do with an age issue :D

But I would realy advice you to go for the 2.0 engine if you can afford it, especially with the automatic transmission, the 1.6 lacks in power is my experience.
Megane II 5D-Hatch 2003 * 2.0 16V Autom. Dynamique * Gris Boreal
17" Steppe * Leather * RS front grilles
Xenon + 5LED side lights * Clear side indicators * Ph. 2 rear lights
Cabasse Tunerlist * Pioneer TS-Q131C/TS-E1396 * Ice>Link Plus + iPod

Privilege
Advanced Driver

Re: Megane 1.6 VVT Automatic

Postby Privilege » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:56 pm

Woody Woo wrote:Do you think my idea is a good one?

After my experience with an 06 Phase II 1.6VVT Auto, I would say no, but maybe I was just really unlucky, others seem to have no problems. Have to say though, it does have some odd behaviour characteristics :?

Do a search of my posts and you will find some info that may help you decide.

If I were you I would go the Focus route, but I recently drove a new Kia Ceed auto an I have to say I was very impressed.

Good luck whichever route you take :D

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Postby Stranger » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:45 am

My 1.6 auto (tip) was ok, did have a bit of a whine in top when coasting and the torque converter lock up when in 1st, or was it 2nd sorry I forget, was jerky.

I too would highly recommend going for the 2.0 over the 1.6 as the 1.6 is underpowered or what I would actually go for is a diesel auto but then as you say you don't do the miles to warrant having a diesel.
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

Woody Woo
Pass Plus

Postby Woody Woo » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:42 pm

Thanks for the comments. I will have a think about it. I'm not one to rush into things. Motorpoint have some new 1.6 VVT Autos in at the moment with leather interior. Quite tempted.

What does put me off is I think there's a new Megane in 2008. Bit worried about residuals once the new model comes out.

"We are entering a different period for quality. We are aiming at a level never previously reached by Renault" :D

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:13 am

"We are entering a different period for quality. We are aiming at a level never previously reached by Renault"
I can concur with this, the wife Clio III is fantastic, very well built. I've yet to here one rattle from it! :D

Have you thought about a 1.9dCi Auto? The new Megane will be out late 2008 or early 2009, so residuals should be reasonable
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

Privilege
Advanced Driver

Postby Privilege » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:14 pm

Woody Woo wrote:... Bit worried about residuals once the new model comes out.

Residiuals are very poor currently, so I would say new Megane will only make things worse.:cry:

kmarty
Learner Driver

Postby kmarty » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:15 am

Stranger wrote:My 1.6 auto (tip) was ok, did have a bit of a whine in top when coasting and the torque converter lock up when in 1st, or was it 2nd sorry I forget, was jerky.

I have same "problem" :-). On 2nd is lock up sometime jerky.

About engine (and automatic transmission). Yes, with 1.6 is not plenty of power, but it is enough (at least for me). Sure, 2.0 is really more powerfull, but ... why? :-)
MEGΛNE Expression Grand Tour/Grandtour/Estate/Tourer 1.6 automat - 2005
sorry for my poor english
Image (Image)

thedales

Postby thedales » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:18 pm

I am putting my megane 1.6vvt expression auto 5dr for sale next week as new car comes then. It's Ottoman blue 27,000 miles with fsh and a 12 months mot taxed till end of dec 07 and under warranty until next june. Looking for offers over £5000.
If anyones interested call me on 07734905937, i am based in brooklands which is near altrincham, cheshire.
cheers kurt

Return to “Pre Ownership Questions”