Renault Megane CC

Any questions you may have before you buy or receive your car can go in here!!

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

MattCC

Renault Megane CC

Postby MattCC » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:56 am

Im considering getting one of these but Ive been told there are many common problems and I know someone who is having a lot of trouble with one.

What are the problems and do the problems occur on all or is it just the "unlucky few" cars?

Are these reliable?

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:39 am

Firstly welcome to the club.

Is this a new CC you are thinking of buying or secondhand? All cars have their faults, the Megane range being no exception!
Main problem with the CC's are leaking roofs, but general faults depending on the spec and engine of the car do occur as well.

What spec/engine are you thinking of getting?
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

MattCC

Postby MattCC » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:12 am

I understand any cars can have faults, as my first car only last 1 and a half years and I said no way I would use Vauxhall again.

I currently have a C2 and that has had the coil pack and map sensor replaced twice, nothing major. I have heard people having all kinds of problems with them though this being a very common fault.

Im looking at 1.6 vvt Dynamique auto brand new.

My team mate has a 2.0l manual. Latest problem (last night) cat converter gone, think this is atleast 2nd time. Also had others although not sure of them. His car is about 3 years old. I do often wonder if its because he's "lead footed" and that cases ware and tare.

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:53 am

As I understand, the new CC's have a slightly modified roof on them to reduce the leaking problems, but you will have to accept that you might still get the odd leak or two?

The 1.6vvt suffers with duff coils, and on early models the Dephaser Pulley is a major problem. I've not seen any posts about this on cars manufactured after 2005, but I could be wrong.
The auto box is not one of the best, and can be troublesome (lumpy gear changes) Privilege (forum member) had a new one in his Megane after only a few thousand miles.
The CC is a heavy car and the 1.6 might feel a bit breathless, have you considered the 2.0 or one of the Diesel engines?
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

DaveP
Advanced Driver

Postby DaveP » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:25 pm

We have had a 2.0 manual CC since 1st March 2005 (new). Its had a fairly easy life having only done 14,000 miles but it has been used every day. Other than the roof leaks the problems have generally been few, in fact the only one I can think of was the auto wipers rain sensor showed a fault message (only once though) and was replaced under warranty. The roof has been a major problem though. Don't get me wrong, it has opened and closed without a hitch. Its just the leaks! Having been back to the dealers more times than I can remember to try (unsuccesfully) to fix them, they became worse each time! We eventaully got agreement to a replacement new car (with a payment for betterment) and we'll be picking that up in a week or so. I have heard that the new ones have a completely different set of seals to the roof (they certainly look thicker) and have not had many problems. If the new one is as good in every other respect and stays dry then it will be the fantastic car it always should have been. I agree with Iain though - try to go for the 2.0 (or a diesel) - the 1.6 will struggle, especially with the auto box, and as far as I can tell the 2.0s have far fewer problems than the 1.6s
At the end of the day... ..it gets dark

MattCC

Postby MattCC » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:43 pm

Its got be be the auto gear box for me unfortunately. The 1.6 vvt dynamique would be the one I get but as you say could be more problems then the 2.0l it worries me. Im not after something that particularly fast, just its got a big boot which I need for my kit bag.

The leaks dont sound too good but if they have improved then it may not be too bad but you have to expect some I suppose.

My other options have been

Daihatsu Terios 4x4
VW Golf FSI match 1.6
Vauxhall Astra

The Megane is top of the list but sliding due to potential unreliability. I looked on whatcar and that gives it 4 out of 5 for quality & reliability.

IainMW
F1 Driver

Postby IainMW » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:29 pm

Remember that there are a lot of very satisfied Renault owners out there. It's the ones who are not satisfied that tend to find sites like this and Parkers.
Quite a few ex Megane owners are now fully paid up members of the Vauxhall club, but you've said you would not have another one.
A lot has to do with the service you get from your dealer, smaller ones tend to offer better aftercare than the bigger franchises.

Does it have to be a new CC?

You could get a Sports Hatch, Saloon or Tourer for a lot less, particularly if you are buying brand new. Likewise there are some very good deals on pre reg cars.

The Saloon has a huge boot, I'm 6'3" and can only just reach right into it.

rach74
Learner Driver

Postby rach74 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:50 pm

i have a meg cc 1.6 priv 07 and so far had no probs at all and with all the rain we have had i have had no leaks, only had 3 months tho so there is time for things to go wrong but overall im over the moon with the car compared with the 1.9 prive meg saloon 53 plate car i had before, so go for it, great when its sunny and you certainly get looked at

Privilege
Advanced Driver

Postby Privilege » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:06 pm

MattCC wrote:...My other options have been

Daihatsu Terios 4x4
VW Golf FSI match 1.6
Vauxhall Astra...

My personal opinion would be go for the Golf, great car, but just a bit bland. The auto gearbox is great though as it has six gears and is very smooth.

Obviously my opinion of the Megane has taken a nose dive after the trouble I had with my Phase II Auto as already mentioned my Iain, but my first one (1.9dCi was brilliant). A lot of it comes down to luck, but not wishing to offend I think you have a bigger chance of getting problems by going French and they cannot be compensated by the good looks alone :(

Best of luck with the choice you make :)

ICEMAN
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane II 1.5DCi + Lexus RX 300

Postby ICEMAN » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:33 pm

Matt are you the B.Gas man that i spoke with???

in Derby??

anywa, just take about an hour to go through the ownership forum, you will soon see that there are some ppl with loads of problems, but some with no problems what so ever.

but definatly be ready for some sort of faliure....nomally they all can be sorted out under waranty (or with loads of money from your wallet)

welcome to the site.
Black Megane - Black Tints - Black 18" Rims with Chrome - Angel Eyes - Shark Fin - Tail Fins - Kenwood DNX7200 - ipod Video -Hertz Space 6.5" Components - PG Ti500.4 - MTX 9544-15" Sub - Orion D5000 - Audison Cabling - Optima Power = NICE

MattCC

Postby MattCC » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:28 am

Im not from Derby no.

Its definately that Megane if I get one. I currently have a french car and its been good, only 2 minor faults.

Thing with VW is that Ive read that the dealers are usually not interested once you have bought the car. I also dont like that plastic un colour coded rear bumper.

ICEMAN
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane II 1.5DCi + Lexus RX 300

Postby ICEMAN » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:59 pm

my firend, that is with all dealers.

you have to bare in mind that the dealers we know are "sales man" after they make the sale, its NEXT, make another sale!!

speak to your local Renault garage mechanic, you will then see his attitude and what he thinks of the car! lol
Black Megane - Black Tints - Black 18" Rims with Chrome - Angel Eyes - Shark Fin - Tail Fins - Kenwood DNX7200 - ipod Video -Hertz Space 6.5" Components - PG Ti500.4 - MTX 9544-15" Sub - Orion D5000 - Audison Cabling - Optima Power = NICE

MattCC

Postby MattCC » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:06 am

The Megane is the one I want but im just getting a sense that its not going to be a good option. People say Citroen are bad though and I think I have had great success with my C2. Only 2 minor faults.

IainMW
F1 Driver

Postby IainMW » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:10 am

Matt, at the end of the day it's not what other people think it's what you think and what you want.

If you want a Megane CC go for it.

I can agree with ICEMAN to some extent in that certain dealers are not interested once they've made the sale.
I've only ever owned Renault's, and up until my last Laguna I've had fantastic service from them, (the Laguna was a Pig though! :cry: ) and I lost a lot of money on it.
I'm now on my 8th Renault and the wife on her 2nd, she picked her new Clio III Dynamique dCi 86 up last night, and it's great! :D
I'm am very friendly with the owner of the garage where I've bought all but one of my Renaults from and he is a very open and honest person. He has said on a number of occassions to me that certain cars within a model range suffer more faults than others, which I agree is not good but that's down to quality control when they are being built.

I can agree with you an the VW front. I've a couple of mates who ditched their Golf's because of problems and very poor service from the dealer.
(One has bought a Megane and been very happy with it!)

I'm very happy with my Megane, even though it has had one or two problems, and I'm sure others on the forum will say the same.

ttlowton

Postby ttlowton » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:30 am

Hi Matt,
I picked up a new 1.6cc manual 6 weeks ago, no leak's in spite of all the rain, nice easy to drive and great when the roof is down, not the quickest car but well able to keep up and very quiet at 75ish on M-way, good 38mpg over the 1800 miles it has covered.
Overall up to now it is better than I thought it would be, hope I am still as happy six months down the line,

Terry.

Return to “Pre Ownership Questions”