About to buy a Scenic - advice wanted!

Any questions you may have before you buy or receive your car can go in here!!

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

yoshimi
Currently Drives:: Renault Scenic Grand

About to buy a Scenic - advice wanted!

Postby yoshimi » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:44 am

I'm interested in buying a Grand Scenic and have spotted a 1.6 VVT Dynamique, 54 plate, with 30k miles at £8,595.

There are a few concerns I have, which I'd like advice on...

1. The rear passanger-side tyre is balding on the outer rim. I've asked for the tyre to be replaced, and for suspension etc to be checked. The tyre may have been moved from the front, so I've asked for the tracking to be checked. The car isn't pulling at all when driving or braking.

2. It is showing a few messages on the screen - 'Check Emmissions', 'Check Airbag', and 'Service' I've asked for all problems to be resolved, so these messages do not appear.

Other than that the car is spotless, and I'm keen to purchase. The car comes with a 3 month warranty.

What does everyone here think? Are these minor problems, or should I just walk away.

Mat
Pass Plus

Postby Mat » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:48 am

The rear tyre thing is very common on all meganes and scenics. FOr some reason they wear on the sides first.

My dads got a 1.6 Privilege Grande Scenic which is a 2005 but done nearly 40k and has had no problems with it. I would have those other things fixed tho but with a warrenty if you expect things to go wrong, you at least don't have to worry. They're nice big family cars
Megane II Dynamique 2.0L VVTi 2004

Oilburner
Passed Theory

Postby Oilburner » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:49 pm

Given all those warning messages already, do you really still want to buy it?

Mine was showing a "check oil level" warning message and I dismissed it as being something the dealer could fix, and yet the car has been nothing but trouble siince (in other ways). With hindsight, that should have indicated to me that the car is a bit of a Friday afternoon job.

If you must buy a Scenic, try and find one that is working OK from the outset, at least you'll be in a better place to start with!
Pete

2006 Megane 2.0 Privilege (traded-in after two weeks!) & 2006 Grand Scenic 2.0 Dynamique (rejected due to paintwork problems)

yoshimi
Currently Drives:: Renault Scenic Grand

Postby yoshimi » Tue May 08, 2007 9:44 am

Just to say, thanks for the advise here.

I ended up going ahead and bought this Scenic. Touch wood, no problems at all so far. Luvely car, my whole family are enjoying it immensely.

Return to “Pre Ownership Questions”