About to buy 2003 DYNAMIQUE DCI 120 1.9

Any questions you may have before you buy or receive your car can go in here!!

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

trollete

About to buy 2003 DYNAMIQUE DCI 120 1.9

Postby trollete » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:38 pm

Hi guys,

I've been seeing this car today and I'm quite pleased with it, it shows 70k miles on clock and it's pretty well conserved.

I noticed though that the thermometer was showing about 5 degrees less than actual temperature, is that a known issue? Should I worry about it?

Is there anything I should be aware of about this specific engine?

The car has been serviced by Renault up to 54k miles and by "his dad" thereafter...

Cheers! :)

taffyhl
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 2004 Megane II 1.9 dynaique

Re: About to buy 2003 DYNAMIQUE DCI 120 1.9

Postby taffyhl » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:23 pm

If the oil hasn't been changed at least every 9k and they haven't used top quality oil I wouldn't buy it. Too much chance of turbo troubles. Top quality = Mobil fully synthetic diesel turbo 0/40 or similar. If its had a new turbo I wouldn't buy it unless very cheap. Make sure cambelt has been changed, due at 60k and check anything electrical as all prone to fail. Look in the front wheel arches. If the flaps sealing the headlight access holes are missing dont buy it. If you aren't familiar with diesel cars take someone along who is. At this age there are a lot of expensive things that can go wrong. Finally check all carpets for damp. Meganes are not very waterproof!

trollete

Postby trollete » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:21 pm

Yep cambelt was changed at the 54k service, and price is £1400.

Will have a look at all that tomorrow!

taffyhl
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 2004 Megane II 1.9 dynaique

Postby taffyhl » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:36 pm

The cambelt change is encouraging - sounds like they have been looking after it.

Didn't want to put you off too much, just reflecting on what I wish I knew before I bought my 2004 1.9dci a year ago! Bought it from a colleague who had it from new and had FSH which made me a little complacent so I didn't check much apart from a test drive. In his case the garage he used was using a cheaper oil and he didn't realise Renault had changed to 9k oil changes, not the 18k it started with. This is bad for the turbo and leads to blockages in the breather system. My car had a refurb turbo at 80k (before I bought it) and I'm sure the seals have leaked a bit since then. If you know how I would check the pipe from turbo to intercooler - will have little oil in it but if there is lots walk away!

To be fair it hasn't cost me a lot in repairs in 20k miles as I've managed to fix most of the issues myself so far. Biggest issue is the need to top up the oil every month and change it every 4500 miles to help clear the gunge!

Return to “Pre Ownership Questions”