Are later Meganes more reliable?

Any questions you may have before you buy or receive your car can go in here!!

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

taffyhl
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 2004 Megane II 1.9 dynaique

Are later Meganes more reliable?

Postby taffyhl » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:47 am

I would be tempted to trade my 2004 1.9dci (120) it in on a newer version - 2007 onwards. Question is are they any more reliable? Previous cars were Sierra (14 years and 185k before died with worn engine) and Primera (12 years, 183k and still going strong, given to my brother) and I never doubted them.

I've only had it for 2 months and love the look and drive, but not the horrible feeling somethings about to go! Currently using a bit of oil and I suspect turbo seals as there is oil dripping from the stop valve. I know the first and only previous owner as he works with me and had it from new. He had a new turbo 10k ago but I'm beginning to think they didn't clean the pipes/intercooler out fully or the reconditioned turbo wasn't that good. Don't think its the breather pipes as I've run it with that disconnected and didn't see any oil coming out.

It's off to a local independant specilaist this week and if it's bad news I'll be getting rid of it.

joeishmather
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: 57 megane with roof, engine, wheels, doors... All the usual things.

Re: Are later Meganes more reliable?

Postby joeishmather » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:35 am

I would say yes more often than not the slight improvements to the later models make a huge difference regarding reliability.. that said you could always end up with a turd, personalky think that how thecar has been looked aftwr can have as much to do with if not more to do with how it'll last..

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Postby Stranger » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:37 pm

+1

Joe is right it's all really about how a car is treated, serviced and generally looked after which is important but 9 times out of 10 the newer the better as manufacturers iron out problems as time progresses.
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

bigcarnut

Postby bigcarnut » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:31 pm

I have a 2007 megane gt dci i have had it for 6 months now before this it has always been ford Diesels mostly mondeo 2.2 tdci's

I did worry when getting the megane as you do hear so many storys about reliability issues electrical gremlins stuff like that but i have had nothing go wrong with the car and i like it so much its a cracking wee car

My car does not have big miles only 65k but it has full history and i will be keeping that up to date using the right oil and hopefully that will give me many miles of running

my sister had a 2004 megane dci and its biggest issue was electrical gremlins

so i have to agree i think the newer the model the more the manufacturer will have ironed out the problems

clark24
Currently Drives:: civic

Postby clark24 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:44 am

my six year old range rover sport has only ever been in the garage for servicing, great car, and yes it does go off road and gets covered in muck, as you can see!!

Return to “Pre Ownership Questions”