Megane Tourer 1.9DCi

Any questions you may have before you buy or receive your car can go in here!!

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

jakub

Megane Tourer 1.9DCi

Postby jakub » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:13 am

Hi All, I'm new here and new to the Megane world as well. Looking to buy an 04 Tourer 1.9 with 92k on the clock - its a private sale and I'm expecting to pay a max of £1500. had a look at it yesterday and all seems ok, except the drivers window which apparently is a bit temperamental, and also noticed there is something wrapped in a plastic bag under the bonnet (near the front of the car on the passenger side). It drives fine, and have not noticed anything strange at all. I need the car as a cheap way of commuting and also will be doing quite a bit of motorway miles so need to to be a diesel. I am planning to keep the car for a year or maybe 2 maximum. It has service history up to 64k and then just a few receipts etc. The lady who own is is the 4th owner, but considering the age of the car that doesn't look suspicious? Does any of the above look like a concern? Just don't want to buy something that will break down on me all the time, or worse something I will have to scrap as non runner. Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

morganjake1544
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Clio 1.5dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom 3 door in Oyster Grey Metallic

Re: Megane Tourer 1.9DCi

Postby morganjake1544 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:08 pm

drivers window which apparently is a bit temperamental

Seller code for "It needs repairing but we're selling it so we haven't bothered". Allow £150.

service history up to 64k and then just a few receipts

Any of the receipts for oil changes? From 64k to 92k I'd be changing the oil 3 times.

Cambelt, water pump, etc been changed? Allow £280-£300. Theoretically, second change due in 13 - 19 months time when car is 10 years old.

What are the brake discs and pads like? When were they last changed? Allow £200.

What are the tyres like? A pair of tyres will set you back £120-£150.

Has it got a tow bar? What has it towed, a little trailer or a big caravan? 92k and pulled a caravan, query life of clutch.

Check every switch and knob, electrics are Megane's Achilles heel.

Hope that's food for thought. Find a decent one and they're a great car.

:)
Clio 1.5 dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom in Oyster Grey + Twingo GT in Pearl Black on a '58'.

steve-t
Advanced Driver

Postby steve-t » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:23 pm

Excellent and accurate advice
Steve

jakub

Postby jakub » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:14 am

Thanks a lot, very helpful a lot. Decided not to buy this one ans spend a bit more time finding a better example.

Thanks again

Return to “Pre Ownership Questions”