heres a tip, dont buy one ...

Any questions you may have before you buy or receive your car can go in here!!

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

stephen1990
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: renault megane 1.4 dynamique ;) fear the roar of the 1.4 !

heres a tip, dont buy one ...

Postby stephen1990 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:50 pm

for the simple fact they're money pits, had mine a year and had nothing but bother with it, spent at least £1200 so far just to keep her roadworthy, they're a french version of alfa romeos, so far on mine i've had the following done

- water pump belt tensioner and timing belt
- new battery (my fault)
-lower arm suspension
- 3 new tyres
- discs and pads all round
- track rod ends
- back box (coming soon)
- caliper (coming soon)
- handbrake cables (coming soon)
- coil packs
- light bulbs
- glove box lid
- fuse
-windscreen wipers
- air filter
-microswitch for the boot

also coming soon........top mounts or a new front suspension whichever works cheapest
top and bottom of it is if you like having a healthy bank balance, keep away from meganes, lovely cars to look at and thats it, other than that they are SHITE!

freelanderuk
Rally Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane convertible 1.9dci 2006

Re: heres a tip, dont buy one ...

Postby freelanderuk » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:14 pm

- water pump, belt and tensioner and timing belt will need doing on any car of a certain age

- 3 new tyres
- discs and pads all round
- back box (coming soon)
- light bulbs
-windscreen wipers
- air filter
all the above i class as will want doing while i own the car and not as breakdowns, so take these away from your other bits it has had done and it dont sound to bad
Drive it like you stole it

My flickr

stephen1990
Learner Driver

Postby stephen1990 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:56 pm

its just been a pain in the arse, these cars are nothing but faulty, if i knew then what i know now i wouldnt have touched it, found out when i received the log book its had 9 owners in 10 years and me probably being the 10th, the water pump belt tensioner and the timing belt were all done under warranty which i'm happy about because thats a good saving, hopefully with all the coming soon jobs around the corner thats everything sorted on my meggy (touch wood) i will never again buy a mk2 megane but the mk3 has caught my eye, dont know if theres anything faulty with them though

morganjake1544
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Clio 1.5dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom 3 door in Oyster Grey Metallic

Postby morganjake1544 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:12 pm

found out when i received the log book its had 9 owners in 10 years

Sounds like you didn't ask the right questions when considering buying it. All manufacturers make the odd lemon, maybe Renault more than most, and you bought one.

:-(

On the plus side, we've had ours from new, seven years now, and it's never missed a beat (window regs excluded).

:)
Clio 1.5 dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom in Oyster Grey + Twingo GT in Pearl Black on a '58'.

stephen1990
Learner Driver

Postby stephen1990 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:57 am

first car i ever bought so you can see why i didnt ask because 1) inexperience and 2) i fell in love with it as soon as i saw it, but i just wish i didnt buy it and bought another one like a 55 plate for £800 more, plan was, spend as little on a car and the rest on insurance......plan failed

Return to “Pre Ownership Questions”