1.4 extreme or 1.6 Dynamique?

Any questions you may have before you buy or receive your car can go in here!!

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

shoogiesco
Currently Drives:: Alfa 147

1.4 extreme or 1.6 Dynamique?

Postby shoogiesco » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:49 am

Hello all
Im on the lookout for a Megane as I need somethign a bit less harsh on fuel, tax etc, I have found a couple near me that are quite cheap. going by Autotrader the 1.4 and 1.6 have the same fuel economy and same tax band is this right? anybody have an opinion on which would be better?

cheers
Sandy

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Re: 1.4 extreme or 1.6 Dynamique?

Postby Stranger » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:27 pm

1.4 would probably be worse on fuel in the real world as you'd have to use more right foot to make the same progress as in the 1.6. Then again the 1.6 isn't a flying machine, have you not thought about the 1.5 dCi? get the right one and it's only £30 RFL
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

edward2
Learner Driver

Re: 1.4 extreme or 1.6 Dynamique?

Postby edward2 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:19 pm

I had a meganne 1 1.4 its was slow but acceptable. I have a 1.6 megane 2. It is 115 bhp is acceptable performance when gets going.

It is not very useable performance because of tall gearing hard to kept on boil. So feels a bit of a slug in normal driving but when kept the reves up not bad at all. But not a nice car to drive quickly high driving postion dull steering ride softer and rear suspension is not the hot hatch multi link its got the old sytle suspendion.

I supose its not really the performance that makes renault feel slow a mk2 golf gti is not much quicker etc or mgb is slower but feels quick. So more of a feeling renault megane 1.6 and 1.4 does not have a sporting feel but quicker than some cars that feel more sporty.

Suits me perfect way it drives I like the long gear slugish soft ride feel normally and is adquate when want to go a bit quicker. Would not want hard ride or over eagar car as unrelaxing only thing not perfect engine sounds a bit boomy at motorway speed would rather more of a v8 type sound ideally.

Return to “Pre Ownership Questions”