picking up my 1.4 2004 megane next week

Any questions you may have before you buy or receive your car can go in here!!

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

edward2
Learner Driver

Re: picking up my 1.4 2004 megane next week

Postby edward2 » Thu May 31, 2012 6:40 pm

Oh yes I have seen they have this on cadillacs.

I am curious to know why is there a keycard rather than key?

morganjake1544
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Clio 1.5dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom 3 door in Oyster Grey Metallic

Postby morganjake1544 » Thu May 31, 2012 6:54 pm

I think we'd all like to know that!

It's your challenge to find out, Edward.

Start by studying the French psyche and go from there.

:)

My best guess is to make life as painful and expensive as possible for all Megane, Laguna, Espace, Vel Satis and Avantime owners. The concept is good but the execution leaves a lot to be desired.

Maybe it's their revenge for Waterloo?
Clio 1.5 dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom in Oyster Grey + Twingo GT in Pearl Black on a '58'.

edward2
Learner Driver

Postby edward2 » Thu May 31, 2012 7:28 pm

-) Well there is one advantage for me anyways.

I have had 2 cars I have had parked outside my house that been broken in to and ignition barrell smashed.
The attempted thevies did not attemp to overcome imboliser on the car may be they thought the flasing led was just for display pursposes until did not start. At least with no ignition key hole they are unlikly to break in to try and break the igintion. As would consider it beyond possibility.

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Thu May 31, 2012 9:56 pm

morganjake1544 wrote:I think we'd all like to know that!

It's your challenge to find out, Edward.

Start by studying the French psyche and go from there.

My best guess is to make life as painful and expensive as possible for all Megane, Laguna, Espace, Vel Satis and Avantime owners. The concept is good but the execution leaves a lot to be desired.

Maybe it's their revenge for Waterloo?

That made me laugh!

Essay (5,000 words) to answer the following question: "Discuss the influence of the medieval scholasticism of Peter Abelard, through the founding of modern philosophy by René Descartes, to 20th century existentialism and post-structuralism, in relation to the design principles of French cars".

Marking structure: 100% is awarded for no merit. Every substantial point will subtract 10 marks.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

morganjake1544
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Clio 1.5dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom 3 door in Oyster Grey Metallic

Postby morganjake1544 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:55 pm

I'd like to see Carlos Ghosn explain it, through the medium of Contemporary Dance.

Clio 1.5 dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom in Oyster Grey + Twingo GT in Pearl Black on a '58'.

edward2
Learner Driver

Postby edward2 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:58 pm

I picked up my megane on saturday morning from renault garage. I started it from cold before buying and it seemed ok. It is a 2003 1.6vvt 5 door hatchback it is green. It is an extression it has aircondioning and 15 inch steel wheel. (which I prefare to alloy as stronger and have always found old alloys leak).

It seems perfect nearly like new for a 2003. It has just under 37000 miles. Service history. It had the pully for the vvt and timing belt changed last november. It has the handbrake changed in 2005 and the igintion electric window fixed.

Before they sold it the fixed the passanger side electric window and the air con. Everying seems to work find apart from the unlock button on one of the key cards which I new about before buying.

I have done about 70 miles in it so far. It does not have a manual but I have a hayness manual so not sure if should buy a manual as I see one on ebay for 20 but dont know if will need.

I went to the scrap yard and I sore 2 meganes 2s in it. I was wanting to get mats and an ashtray. The 2 meganes there mats were missing and had no ashtrays. I then got mats from halfords.

My friend was up from london a computor programmer he uses an ap on his mobile phone for the engine managment for his kia pecantio the kia has a wireless contection. He said my megane being 2003 would not have this but will be wire. Does any one use the mobile phone ap for there megane?. ( not that i need this currently as running fine but interesting to know).

I wonder what oil should I get for my megane. Halifords has oil listed for megane 2 but thought may be i should ge the same oil renault uses. Is meganes recommended oil elf?

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:40 pm

2003 models are betwixt and between. Prise off the blanking panel beneath the radio, and look for a big old plug. If it's there, you have OBD of some sort. I forget the actual rulings for the protocols and whether OBD is required on petrols of that year. My 2003 diesel did have such a connector and an ELM 327 worked just fine (ebay).

As for oil, go to opieoils.co.uk and key in your registration. Guy, who seems to own the place will be able to recommend the best oil. Don't go by brand necessarily - Renault change the recommended ratings about once a week (well I exaggerate). The important notes are in the technical bulletins. There are various parameters to consider, not least of which is that you should probably use fully synthetic A4 rated or better oil. Mine takes Mobil 1 0w40 - but a petrol head (or Alex) will give you better advise.

edward2
Learner Driver

Postby edward2 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:07 am

One quite minor thing I noticed with megane it is more noisy running gear than previous megane. It may just be the way it is meant to be. Possibly because less wind noise than previous.

I don’t think it’s the engine as when it neuteral will no revs no difference. I wondered if possibly bearing that has not gone but is not perfect. But does not seem directional as when had bearing before. I suppose could jack it and check bearing way. May be it is just not the quietest.

edward2
Learner Driver

Postby edward2 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:30 pm

I think the noise was just road noise because was driving at 65 I normally drive slower.

I normally only drive 40 to 50. On the way back from work driving as I normally do it did not sound more noisey than my megane 1. It has less wind noise and engine can not notice. On my megane 1 could hear the engine in the background and some wind noise. Overall it sounds quieter I think.

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:59 pm

The bearing can be checked with simple techniques, as you seem to know (jack up, rotate wheel, listen).

Sounds like you have got a good car!

edward2
Learner Driver

Postby edward2 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:32 pm

Bumped in to the curb in town 20mph ish when a lorry overtook closely nothing major did not bang or anything just felt it at the wheel

I then had the tracking checked and adjusted at an exhaust centre they said it was 2 percent out the tyre was fine they asked if it was a new tyre. I had the tracking corrected.

Just wondered is there any Meganne specific aspect to the tracking such as steering wheel centering that I would also need to consider.

On the trip computer there is 2 MPGS one reads 31MPG and the other reads 36MPG as I did not get a manual with my car I wondered why is there 2 different MPGS? The first MPG to appear is the lower one then the higher one appears.

(I have the type of trip computer that is worked by right hand wiper stalk that displays in the top screen that has the mileage and oil ok message on start up.)

morganjake1544
Advanced Driver

Postby morganjake1544 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:23 pm

On the trip computer there is 2 MPGs one reads 31MPG and the other reads 36MPG as I did not get a manual with my car I wondered why is there 2 different MPGs?

Interesting, I've never seen this on a UK spec Megane. The handbooks did used to state that there were two MPG figures, one was an 'average' since the last reset, and one was a 'real time' figure. The UK cars however, only got the 'average' MPG. I've had Meganes as hire cars abroad that had both.

Unless of course, like me, you need reading glasses and the second figure is actually 36MPH. ie. average speed ! ;)

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:49 pm

So far as I'm aware, there are no specific problems with the tracking on the Meganes. It's a standard track rod end thread adjustment with the usual laser alignment kit. Basically, bog standard. Just keep an eye on the steering being straight (something also done with the alignment) and tyre wear.

edward2
Learner Driver

Postby edward2 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:56 pm

Oh i will go out and check the mpg mph think could just be that. Often make that kind of mistake dyslexic the other day i rang my insurance when i thought my document had actual milage wrong when it fact it said annual milage.

It may just be I am not used to the electric power steering it kinda feels like it pulls to the left a little more than the right. I did wonder if that needs re centering slightly.

Often watch Motorweek on PBS the megane 2 seems advanced for its age chystler has only just fitted elected steering to cars, ford only got fuel capless fillers in the last few years. Also the start cards seem much more common in never cars as do plastic wings.

The best show i have found about megane 2 on internet is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlTBK9Uz ... creen&NR=1 unfortuntly it is in Russian,

I am suprised that renaults are not sold in the US as its seem european cars are fashion just now. Ford focuses fiestas astras insginias etc sold there

It may just be the camber of the road often leans to the left so it would pull a little more to the left am not sure.

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:11 pm

Road camber will have an effect on handling. The design reason behind electronic PAS is that it only draws a load on the engine when actively steering. The supposed benefit is a lower MPG figure since the hydraulic pump is continuously powered. I've not researched this in detail however.

Return to “Pre Ownership Questions”