Buying guide?

Any questions you may have before you buy or receive your car can go in here!!

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Cal

Buying guide?

Postby Cal » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:09 pm

Hi all,

Looking to buy a Meg for the wife, looking for a general buying guide?
I have seen to look for water ingress, Fuse boxes, electrics and key cards.... But what else?

Also there seems to be a lot of talk about the 1.6 being a bad engine but why? What failures etc?

Also looking at the 1.4 a little gutless but it's only a family car....

Still considering the 1.9 and the 2.0 also. Anything else?

davelowe
Driving Legend

Re: Buying guide?

Postby davelowe » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:41 pm

The 1.4 suffers from throttle body cleaning issues. The 1.6 has issues with the dephaser. The diesels are only really good for towing and long mileage.

Therefore your choice depends on the typical journey length. If it's shopping and the school run, I'd go for a 1.4. 10 miles+ per day, then the 1.5 diesel is your friend.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

Cal

Postby Cal » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:41 am

Ok... The dephaser doesn't seem too daunting based on what I've seen... With the 1.4 is it simply a case of the TB requiring cleaning regularly?

Anything else common like bushes or bearings? Based on your signature there should be a lot more for me to look out for ;-)

Thanks for the advice!

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:18 pm

Honestly, there isn't much between the marques - the only thing that springs to mind is the electrical problems, that in all fairness plagues most cars.

Don't be put off - just test EVERY electrical device on any car you care to inspect. Auto-this and that, windows. You know the drill!
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

MéganeDynamique
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault Mégane 2.0 VVT Dynamique Sport Hatch

Postby MéganeDynamique » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:16 pm

Need to chip in a vote for the 2.0 VVT petrol here.

People overlook them because a)they're hard to find and b)sounds like a pointlessly big engine for the car.

Without a doubt they seem to be the most reliable unit in the Megs, very few complaints from owners. It's such an excellent engine, and better on fuel than my mum's 1.6 VVT thanks to the 6th gear and that it doesn't need worked as hard. Only downside is the £245 road tax.
Ottoman Blue 2.0 VVT Privilège 5 Door - Full beige leather, ESP, Xenon headlights, Carminat Navigation, Cruise etc.
Ink Blue 2.0 VVT Dynamique 3 Door... Black Leather, heated seats, panoramic sunroof, tyre pressure sensors, Hands Free etc.

Return to “Pre Ownership Questions”