Soon to be Megane owner?

Any questions you may have before you buy or receive your car can go in here!!

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

FatmanDaz
Currently Drives:: Nothing! last car was a Punto & the cam went. Looking to replace with a Megane 2

Soon to be Megane owner?

Postby FatmanDaz » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:00 pm

Hi all,

My name's Darren, firmly in middle age, married with two children and residing in the North West.
Having just parted company with my last car, an aging Fiat I have head long plunged into that horrible process of buying a replacement. As budget is limited and practicality are key deciders I very quickly arrived at the door of the Megane 2. However, it is a car that I have always admired but never previously dabbled with other than hire car versions.
I've narrowed my search to a 1.4 or 1.6VVT Expression, from 2004 (budget limited to £2500). All three are sub 55k miles and have FSH, although I don't yet know if this includes cam belt as they are all past the 4 year change point recommended by Renault.

I appreciate this is a big ask but I'm just looking for honest feedback on what to look out for or avoid. I'm hoping there isn't much as it really is a car I'm keen to own but as cash is tight at the moment, I can't afford to jump in blind.

Thanks in advance for any comments / advice.

Darren

davelowe
Driving Legend

Re: Soon to be Megane owner?

Postby davelowe » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Hi Darren,

I'm more a diesel man myself, but problems common to the petrol models basically boil down to the de-phaser solenoid and pulley assembly - part of the variable-valve timing on the 1.6. The 1.4 is a safer bet as it doesn't have this feature (so can't go wrong). Sometimes the throttle bodies need a clean, but I understand that is simple maintenance.

I'd wager that the 1.5 engine will return you better fuel economy (managed 80mpg in mine) than the petrol. The diesels don't seem as reliable though.

Someone with better knowledge of the petrol series should give you a more complete answer.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

Return to “Pre Ownership Questions”