would you?

Any questions you may have before you buy or receive your car can go in here!!

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Being a Megane II owner, would you recommend one to someone else?

Yes
81%
No
19%

Total votes: 81

Le Grand Crapaud
Rally Driver
Location: Overlooking graveyard. Plot booked. Pretty picture awaited from commissioned artist!

Postby Le Grand Crapaud » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:57 pm

What would I ask for - you did ask the question :roll: ?

Cars that don't leak and don't have squeaky brakes and rattly dashboards. Properly functioning engine management systems. Decent tyre wear through utilising a modern (Focus type) rear suspension. A properly designed, implemented and functioning Quality Control system at Renault plants.

And last but not least proper Quality Management training for Renault UK's Customer Service personell and its dealers.
Anton Bufonidae hops again and again and again and again and again!

Reevsey

Postby Reevsey » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:54 am

I personaaly would recommend the 225 which is what i have, it seems you get what yo pay for as all the niggly little bits that i have read above don't seem to apply to my megane, it doesn't rattle or squeak, the ride is good, tyre wear isn't so great but i have got a heavy right foot. The only thing that mine has ever gone back for is the door unlocking sensors, they stopped working but got replaced under warranty. I find the dealership i use very good, the only thing is the waiting list to book it in is about 2 weeks long!

Jimbo
Just Passed

Postby Jimbo » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:28 pm

i would definately recommend a megane. i have the 1.9dci and would say in my opinion is more drivable than the 2.0T (165), more usable torque and better on fuel. i have had some little niggles, passenger window problems and the start sensor on the clutch pedal doesnt work, but my dealer sorted them out very quickly.

by the way, getting it chipped was the best thing that could happen to it!!! :) but even when the engine is standard, its great, i love it!! :)

Le Grand Crapaud
Rally Driver
Location: Overlooking graveyard. Plot booked. Pretty picture awaited from commissioned artist!

Postby Le Grand Crapaud » Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:40 pm

jimbo how much did your insurance company up the premium by for the chipping? What was the power increased to theoretically?
Anton Bufonidae hops again and again and again and again and again!

Bruno Grilo

Postby Bruno Grilo » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:29 pm

Basically I would recommend!

The only thing I dislike in my Magoo (as in Mr. Magoo :lol: ) is that plastic around the hand brake...

You can easily scratch it...as time goes by, more scratches appear...

We gotta be very careful with coins and keys...

One other thing I dislike is the CD player!
It only shows the track number and not the time of the track!

I've had 3 problems with the car but all repaired under warranty!

The left rear door sensor had to be replaced as well as the horn...
The horn broke down in a wedding...can you believe this?? :shock:

The 3rd problem was a recall about something in the eletric windows!

Despite this, superb car!!! One of the best that Renault has ever made!

Cheers from sunny Portugal! :wink:
Megane II 1.6 Luxe Dynamique

DaveP
Advanced Driver

Postby DaveP » Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:45 pm

Bruno Grilo wrote:

You don't get any problems with water leaks there then!!
At the end of the day... ..it gets dark

Jimbo
Just Passed

Postby Jimbo » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:43 pm

Le grande, the insurance went up about £130ish. the claimed gains are around 155bhp 309nm torque, according to the superchips web site. i have yet to get a proper rolling road read out.

Bruno Grilo

Postby Bruno Grilo » Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:47 pm

DaveP wrote:
Bruno Grilo wrote:

You don't get any problems with water leaks there then!!

Nope... :lol:

:wink:
Megane II 1.6 Luxe Dynamique

meganeboy
Pass Plus

Postby meganeboy » Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:35 pm

neither here!! :lol:

rgds from Sunny Malta!!

soterman
Advanced Driver

Postby soterman » Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:19 am

or here.... sunny Greece!

I voted no. I wouldn't recommend the Megane II to a friend, only because too much of it may go wrong... I just noticed in the service book that my optional tyre pressure sensors need to be replaced every 8 years. And 'replaced' sounds more like 'pay for 4 new ones'. I think I am just lucky that I do not have any of the problems that I read everyday in the forum, but some day I am definately going to run out of luck....

The day after my waranty expires!
'05 1.6VVT Megane II[/color]

sproket
Passed Theory

Postby sproket » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:11 am

i would recomend the meg to anyone but i would recomend finding out which dealer is the best near you as that can also bring the experiance of owning the meg down.

Ant Eg
Passed Theory

Postby Ant Eg » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:55 pm

I said Yes as I am about 2 get a new megan. The only reason I would recommend it is the last one kept me alive in a head-on crash.

Renaults (not just Megan) 2 biggest failing seems to be:
1) their (electrical) build quality
2) the dealers/service centres

Whats more of a pain than having to take a car in to fix a fault? Taking it back again & again to fix the same fault. This is why they come (near) bottom in surveys, top gear etc...

I know there is the dealer forum on this site but is there a simple at-a-glance dealer review anywhere on the web? e.g.
Dealer Location - Dealer Name - Rating (good/average/bad)
for simple stuff like pricing, standard service, common faults & manufacturer recalls. Same idea as seller rating on ebay or amazon, using dealership based on recommendations.

Ray
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Privilege - Now Sold

Postby Ray » Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:56 pm

Ant Eg wrote:I know there is the dealer forum on this site but is there a simple at-a-glance dealer review anywhere on the web? e.g.
Dealer Location - Dealer Name - Rating (good/average/bad)
for simple stuff like pricing, standard service, common faults & manufacturer recalls. Same idea as seller rating on ebay or amazon, using dealership based on recommendations.

there's a system being created just for that purpose... watch this space.. or rather the website... and the announcments section of the forum... ;)

pw981
Rally Driver
Currently Drives:: 04 Megane 1.9dCi replaced with a 07 Toyota Auris 2.2 D-CAT 180

Postby pw981 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:31 am

I'm having a few doubts about my Megane now, nothing special, but just car ownership in general, the higher mileage wear and tear items such as drive shafts, starter motors, wheel bearings, suspension parts. Since these parts aren't too reliable in a new Megane, I dred to think what they will be like when my car is high mileage! I didn't expect to be doing this many miles, approx 25k a year! My car is going to be 2 years old next Feb, and its already got 39,800miles on it!
2004 Megane II 1.9dCi

L77
Pass Plus

Postby L77 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:12 pm

Lets be honest if we all had other cars we would all be saying this that and the next thing about them as it stand's I am more than happy with my megane and would point a friend in the direction of a megane as its all just down to sheer luck if you ask me.

It don't really matter what make of car you have I personally think its just your luck which one you have ended up with.

All in all cars are prob the worst itmes we will buy for reliability. :evil:
OoPs :roll: sorry for the rant my answer would be yes

Return to “Pre Ownership Questions”