Looking to buy a 2003 Megane

Any questions you may have before you buy or receive your car can go in here!!

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

gazfocus

Looking to buy a 2003 Megane

Postby gazfocus » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:19 pm

I am looking at buying a 2003 Renault Megane 1.6 VVT Expression Auto and looking for some advice.

I've seen alot of reports on the Internet about the windows dropping and costing in the region of £300+ to fix. Is this still likely to be a real problem or has this issue now been resolved by Megane? I've also heard of the heated windows shattering but only on newer cars so I'm assuming this won't matter so much.

Also, what are Megane's like to drive? I've only had my license for about 6 months and I was mis-sold my current car and now it's only good for the scrap yard so looking for a nice, comfortable and reliable car. Will a Megane live up to this?

kenster
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane II

Re: Looking to buy a 2003 Megane

Postby kenster » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:56 pm

If you were mis-sold your previous car, then dont buy a Megane esp around 2003!! Should be called 'Expletive' not Expression! They have even more issues than the post 2005 models.

Have a look on these forums. Dont buy one, theyre a fkin liability. :banghead We have a 2005 model, yep it's done the window winding down in the night. It's puts the headlights on most of the time, that's when it's not blowing the bulbs. Indicator connections keep going. Ask anyone how you change an indicator it's the bumper off. Headlights are doable but fiddly.
Bumper catch seized, so bumper wont ping up.
Weird ESP/ASR issue currently where it's braking on it's own.
Wipers come on/off, buzzing noise from top of windscreen in the sensor area... something was fixed under warranty there, buzzing again.

Drive wise, it handles quite well, very stable on the road, not much feedback through the wheel on my one (Dynamique 2.0vt) and performance is pretty naff. And most of all who ever set the ratios on this car, when cruising on roads in europe permitting such speeds as 75/80mph it's revving to 4k+ i keep wanting to change to 6th when im in 6th.

I had new rear discs last year, for some reason they're the most expensive rear discs ive ever had fitted to any car. And i checked on motor factors myself.

Look for anything else, pref not a Renault.

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Postby Stranger » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:37 pm

I had a 1.6 VVT dynamique+ auto.

Nice drive although a little underpowered, good handling, lots of goodies. 1st gear on the Auto's was woefully low but apart from that the transmission was ok with a 4th gear overdrive which made motorway cruising nice.

You are limiting your choices with wanting an auto though, is this just a preference or a necessity?

In all honesty though I would avoid anything before 2005 as there were lots of issues prior to this year, sure there are some that have been fine but there are too many that weren't. If you don't need the room and want to stick with Renault then look at a Clio.
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

rjacko
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 1.9 dci Dynamique, 3dr 03 reg

Postby rjacko » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:54 pm

Well I've got an 03 megane, 1.9 dci dynamique tho so can't comment on the petrol variant. Spec wise it's great, as for problems yeah it's had the window drop due to regulator, done under warranty years ago. Indicators do go but can be got at without stripping the front end of the car. Rear bearing went but the car is 7 years old.

That is the key point that mine is 7 years old as is the one your looking at so yeah you will no doubt have some issues with it if you get it but then I'm sure you would if you got any other 7 year old car.

All I can say is if you like the megane's get one, but it's luck of the draw as it is with all the other makes of car too.

Good luck if you decide to go for one :cool:
3dr 03 Megane 1.9Dci, Dynamique, panoramic roof, keyless system, full leather, 6 cd changer, 17" Nervasport alloys

MéganeDynamique
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault Mégane 2.0 VVT Dynamique Sport Hatch

Postby MéganeDynamique » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:14 pm

I wouldn't say that 03 Mégane's are a liability. Bought mine in Feb '09 with 58k on the clock, I'm now hitting 84,000 miles two years later and still don't want to change car. Yes, I've had an electric window fail, but it didn't fall into the door, just got stuck, cost £100 for a new motor. Other small issues like the boot catch, but every car has it's problems.

If the price is right it could be a very good car!
Ottoman Blue 2.0 VVT Privilège 5 Door - Full beige leather, ESP, Xenon headlights, Carminat Navigation, Cruise etc.
Ink Blue 2.0 VVT Dynamique 3 Door... Black Leather, heated seats, panoramic sunroof, tyre pressure sensors, Hands Free etc.

Return to “Pre Ownership Questions”