Looking to buy a Megane II '03 - '04

Any questions you may have before you buy or receive your car can go in here!!

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

JollyJokker
Currently Drives:: wants to buy a Megane II

Looking to buy a Megane II '03 - '04

Postby JollyJokker » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:09 am

Hello all,

I joined this forum because I see myself possibly purchasing a used Megane II, probably a '03-'04 manufactured one.

From what I have researched, it seems that Meganes from that time had many major issues.
I am looking at Meganes with around 47000 mileage.

And I am thinking: Is it possible that any problem should already have shown up all this time and has already been fixed by the previous owner? (e.g. injectors, water leakage etc)? Do you think that this would make sense?

I can say that I love this car as much as anything else but I am afraid. Afraid a lot. I am thinking in the back of my head to go for a Corolla to stay on the safe side but I'm really dreaming a Megane II with a Panoramic roof!

I would appreciate your help here.

Thanks a lot!

~JJ

alan murphy
Currently Drives:: renault megane dynamique

Re: Looking to buy a Megane II '03 - '04

Postby alan murphy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:24 pm

Hey there, well here is my tuppence worth. We have two meganes in the driveway, one a 2000 reg bought in 2000 and the other a 05 bought in 07. The 2000 reg only sees a mechanic for a service every 12 to 15,000 miles, has the original window regulators, had to put a new battery in it last year (fair enough) have only put two other parts into it at a total cost of about 50 quid in the last ten years. Now the 05, bought this from a renault main dealer because of the good experience with the other one, came with a one year warranty, within the first year had first window regulator fault, replaced under warranty, since then another two have gone, changing a headlamp bulb is an experience to say the least!!, the boot lock is dodgy, have had to crawl in there a couple of times to release it and the little button on the hand break fell off and got lost so now have to wiggle a little bit of broken black plastic to release it. The positives, well, they look good, high safety rating and very comfortable to drive but there is no doubt they have build quality and electrical issues.
I suppose it depends on your needs / finances, you will more than likely need a little slush fund to dip into on a regular basis to keep it running and chances are you will have a number of irritating problems with it. It's pretty much a case of...you pays your money, you takes your chance. You might get lucky and have no probs. Personally my friend, I would go with your head and go either japanese or german just for reliability, that's what I'll be doing next time, we don't have loads of extra dosh lying around. I know that's pretty negative towards the megane, just calling it as I see it, others will have a different point of view but then in a funny way, kinda love them as well.
It's your call :?

navid.v
Rally Driver

Postby navid.v » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:25 pm

JJ,

go for a later model rather than 03-04,we had a 55 reg megane and the only problem we had was the window regulator which got repaired under warranty.most of the issues on earlier cars were rectified later on.
Current Car:BMW Z4 2.5 SE 04,Renault Clio Dynamique S 1.2 TCE 58 ;Previous Car:Megane II Sports Hatch 55 Reg Ottoman Blue 1.6 VVT

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Postby Stranger » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:33 am

Yep, go for a later model. Spend a bit more or save up for longer and even so perhaps you'll have to go for a lower spec but the 03s and some 04s were especially prone to faults.

That said I was one of the lucky ones, I had an 03 on a 53 and the only problems that I had with it, from memory, were a leak at the plenum chamber, a faulty CC system and a leak on the rear tailgate.
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

STEVIE
Advanced Driver

Postby STEVIE » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:55 pm

Ive got an 53 2003 and the only probs ive had (touchwood) is an coil went easy repair
and it needed a new battery (under warranty)
oh and a coolant tmep sensor my fault fitting an after market air filter and broke it
she has been perfect since i bought it in october 2003
But saying that i do service her every year with good oil no matter of mileage

stevie
http://www.meganesport.net welcome all members of Megane II Owners Club

BlueMeganeII
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 03 Megane 3 door 2.0 VVT Dynamique - Sunroof, 17" Alloys, Keyless Entry and start
55 Grand Espace Initial, Xenons, Leather, Sunroof, Keyless, Sat Nav, Tyre Pressure sensors, 18" Alloys, Roof spoiler/bars.

Postby BlueMeganeII » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:44 pm

The earlier models are fine just avoid the 1.6 pre facelift and the 1.9dci pre 2005. From what I could see the Window regulator from the 03 and a 56 are identical anyway.

Madmover
Currently Drives:: MG ZR (For Sale http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1624386.htm)

Postby Madmover » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:18 am

BlueMeganeII wrote:The earlier models are fine just avoid the 1.6 pre facelift and the 1.9dci pre 2005. From what I could see the Window regulator from the 03 and a 56 are identical anyway.

you say pre facelift, when did they do the facelift? whats different?

BlueMeganeII
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 03 Megane 3 door 2.0 VVT Dynamique - Sunroof, 17" Alloys, Keyless Entry and start
55 Grand Espace Initial, Xenons, Leather, Sunroof, Keyless, Sat Nav, Tyre Pressure sensors, 18" Alloys, Roof spoiler/bars.

Postby BlueMeganeII » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:18 pm

The facelift occured in 2006 which included some slightly modified lights, a much better choice of materials for the interior, new style alloys, a redesigned rear light cluster and more slanted forward set of lights with new style bumper to match, wipers that are fully automatic and don't have to be reset each time - an update list stereo - thats about it. A similar lift happened with the Scenic.

navid.v
Rally Driver

Postby navid.v » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:22 pm

BlueMeganeII wrote:The facelift occured in 2006 which included some slightly modified lights, a much better choice of materials for the interior, new style alloys, a redesigned rear light cluster and more slanted forward set of lights with new style bumper to match, wipers that are fully automatic and don't have to be reset each time - an update list stereo - thats about it. A similar lift happened with the Scenic.

not completely accurate information,as we had a pre-facelift model with update list (as the tuner list if I am right was changed to update in late 2003-early 2004) auto sensitive wipers and lights as they were based on different car trims (dynamique-Privilege-etc.) the rear lights can easily be changed to the facelift model (if anybody wants),and as mentioned before,it all depends if your one of the lucky ones or not,had the 1.6 petrol pre-facelift on 55 reg,not a single problem with dreaded dephaser.
Current Car:BMW Z4 2.5 SE 04,Renault Clio Dynamique S 1.2 TCE 58 ;Previous Car:Megane II Sports Hatch 55 Reg Ottoman Blue 1.6 VVT

Paddy
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane Saloon 2.0 VVT Dynamique

Postby Paddy » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:51 pm

Just to put my 2p worth in.

I have a 2005 model 2.0 saloon. Other than the CV joint going through my own doing i am yet to have a fault.

The car has been totally sound, not a leak, electronic or mechanical fault to speak of.

And to say I drive her hard would be an understatement. I have even had her out on the odd track day without issue.

Ok so only 21,006 miles.... but growing.

P

MéganeDynamique
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault Mégane 2.0 VVT Dynamique Sport Hatch

Postby MéganeDynamique » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:49 pm

Wasn't going to reply until I saw that you might buy a COROLLA!??? I think I'd rather stay without a car.

I have an '03 Mégane. Apart from the usual electric window failure nothing has gone wrong in 2 years in 20,000 miles of motoring. It was mechanically perfect when I bought it and has stayed that way, it's cost me very little.

It was obvious that mine had been well looked after, it was in showroom condition with FSH and 58,000 miles. Choose carefully and there's no reason to be scared of an '03 or '04 Mégane
Ottoman Blue 2.0 VVT Privilège 5 Door - Full beige leather, ESP, Xenon headlights, Carminat Navigation, Cruise etc.
Ink Blue 2.0 VVT Dynamique 3 Door... Black Leather, heated seats, panoramic sunroof, tyre pressure sensors, Hands Free etc.

Triumph232
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.5DCI Extreme 2007

Postby Triumph232 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:37 am

Hi just a point about the facelift 2006 on. They also have nissan electrics so all water issues etc gone. much more reliable than renaults effort.

Return to “Pre Ownership Questions”