megane 1.5dci owners help please.

Any questions you may have before you buy or receive your car can go in here!!

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

bottletree
Currently Drives:: Picasso 1.8sx petrol 02

megane 1.5dci owners help please.

Postby bottletree » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:04 pm

Hi, new member here. I am a few weeks from purchasing the renault megane 1.5 dci (80 or 106). I own a 1.8sx Picasso at moment thats starting to bite hard at the pennies.
I want a car with low tax and good fuel economy and low insurance. The dci sounds about right. Got wife and 2 young'uns. Mostly make short trips around Sheffield with the odd trip to north Wales.
Looking for a car not older than 3 years if possible. Can you owners give me advice on what the cars like on short runs and any other tips.
Thanks in advance. :-)

Gav
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Sport Tourer, 1.5 dCi 106

Re: megane 1.5dci owners help please.

Postby Gav » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:45 pm

Financially there are many factors that would determine which is the cheapest to own and run. The diesel will be more efficient, but the fuel costs a little more per litre than petrol (it does vary, but in the last few years that's been the general trend). A diesel engined car is also more expensive to purchase, and may require extra servicing compared to a petrol model. I know my dCI106 from 2006 sugests services every 12000 miles, but a 2007 version is 18000. Diesel attracts slightly lower C02 based road tax, but it's peanuts compared to depreciation.

I originally brough my Megane for a longer cross-country commute where I averaged 58mpg. However I now have a short urban commute and in winter struggle to get 40mpg unless going for longer runs. If you are going to mostly use the car around town, and not do a lot of miles, diesel isn't really the way to go. If annual mileage is heading towards 15000 then it starts making sense. I've only kept mine since it already paid for the diesel premium (20 months of long commutes meant a lot of fuel saved) and on longer journeys it's great.

The newer (06 on) facelifted Megane II's are fairly reliable (better than older ones as Renault have sorted out issues), whichever engine you chose. The 1.5dCi is a great engine, but might not be the right choise if total cost of ownership is a priority.

Hope that helps.
06 Extreme Blue 1.5dCi 106 Dynamique Sport Tourer with panoramic sunroof and Dension Gateway

simmiane
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: renault megane 1.9 diesel 3 door hatch 53 plate

Re: megane 1.5dci owners help please.

Postby simmiane » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:27 pm

hi i have owned a 1.9 dci for around 5 months now and reguarly make trips to dumfries which are around 33 miles and find the car great and the economy side is really good compared to my old rover 216 plus being the 1.9 i find it has a good deal of tourque and is easy to overake with .

Return to “Pre Ownership Questions”