Looking at a Megane but have a few ownership questions...

Any questions you may have before you buy or receive your car can go in here!!

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

danielmoore1981
Currently Drives:: Mk2 Ph1 Clio 1.2 RN

Looking at a Megane but have a few ownership questions...

Postby danielmoore1981 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:20 pm

Hi people.

Me and my fiance are looking to change our car. We currently have a [/url=https://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v520/DanThe440Man/Renault%20Clio/]Clio[/url] Mk2 Ph1, but have outgrown it and feel with it's mileage and condition it's a good time to sell. Obviously we're looking at a Megane, and thought we had made our minds up, but after a visit to our local Renault dealer, (Mitchells, Lowestoft) where a friend of mine works, we've been slightly put off.

Basically, we were looking for a 1.4 16v 3 door, mainly for the road tax and insurance issues on an '02/'03 plate (so very early Meg's). We were told that the 1.4 16v are a little sluggish and underpowered for the size of the car, and that from a road tax perspective, the 1.6 16v is only £30 more a year and is a much better sized lump for the size of the car.

As we're looking at spending about £3k, possibly a little more, we're only looking at the very early Megane II's. I asked if there were any issues with the earlier Megane's, and he told me there were: and I asked him if these issues would put him off buying one: and he said yes. He's not out to sell me a new car as he's been a mate a long time and know's I can't afford one! The main issue is to do with the coil pack. He said that from '05 the engines were changed as the 4 individual coils were prone to breaking down and would need consistent replacement on the earlier models: basically that once you start replacing them, they all go, and break down quite a bit after. I've also heard that there have been water ingress issues around the front windows, giving you soggy front carpets and doorcards!

So really, what i'm looking for is the opinion's of current owners with the older engines/earlier models. How bad are the coil packs? Would any of you happily buy an older Megane knowing about these problems? Or did he make the problems out to be worse than what they really are? We were really dead set on a Megane, but we can't really afford an '05+ so if the early ones are quite bad, then we'll have to look for something else... :(

Honest opinions and advice welcomed!

Dan :D

Jonault
Advanced Driver

Re: Looking at a Megane but have a few ownership questions...

Postby Jonault » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:45 pm

You may find that an early Megane has already had the coil packs changed so that might not be an issue. The 1.4 may be a little sluggish but it cruises well on motorways with power coming in at 3,750rpm helping with high speed overtaking. Although water ingress can affect some cars, I've only ever found water in the door pocket when I left my car parked on a slope in monsoon conditions. Other common failures are window regulators and suspension strut top mount bearings. At least the 1.4 doesn't have a VVT engine so you won't get the dreaded dephaser pulley failure.
1.4 Hatch, Ottoman Blue, 55 Reg, Dynamique

Toodeep
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 5 Door Privilege 1.6

Postby Toodeep » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:49 pm

Seconded. The dephaser issue is the single reason why I would advocate the 1.4, 2.0 or indeed the Diesels over the 1.6. It's almost as stressful worrying about it happening as having it happen! It's like finding out most of your ancestors died of a hereditary illness.

Most of the niggly things (leaks and electrical) can be dealt with if you are reasonably competent and prepared to trawl the Forum. I'm no mechanic but haven't yet had to resort to using one.

I know a few Megane owners and none has had coil pack problems. Many have had leaks but they are easy to prevent once you know about them. I don't think anyone here would pretend that Megane ownership will be a breeze compared to some of its less stylish competitors but many share your enthusiasm and, like me, would not be put off buying another.

andywills
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 04 Megane 1.6e 16V VVT

Postby andywills » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:49 pm

Coils don't just affect renaults....have a google, you'd be suprised as to what manufacturer comes up first, and they're not that expensive to replace.

The dephaser is a pig. How renault can deny there is a problem with them juding by the number of threads on here that are dephaser, dephaser, dephaser is beyond me (my money is on cost of claims). I decided to bite the bullet and when i had the five year service (cam belt. etc.) done, the dephaser was relpaced with the newer version. This was a preventative measure rather than a corrective measure (no extra in labour).

As the mechanic told me, and as mentioned on here time after time. preventative measures are ALWAYS better than corrective measures. ignore the 2 year or 18k service crap, get a service every 12 months.
Renault Megané Dynamique 1.6e 16v VVT 2004

Return to “Pre Ownership Questions”