Safety - 3 Dr. VS. 5 Dr.

Any questions you may have before you buy or receive your car can go in here!!

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

drumace
Currently Drives:: Focus

Safety - 3 Dr. VS. 5 Dr.

Postby drumace » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:59 am

Hello,
Does anyone know if the 3 Dr. configuration of the Megane II Hatch is less safe in case of side crash (since there is no vertical bean in the 3 Dr. configuration).
In addition, I know that some configurations has 8 airbags instead if 6. Where are the 2 additional airbags are located and what advantage do they give you?

Thanks,
Tal

tallpaul
Pass Plus

Re: Safety - 3 Dr. VS. 5 Dr.

Postby tallpaul » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:28 pm

i might be totally wrong, but i *think* the 5 door car has with 8 bags because of the 2 rear doors, whereas the 3 door car has 6 bags. Ones not any less safe that the other
52 Megane dCi 120 Dynamique 5dr ● 18" Team Dynamics Pro Comp II ● OEM clear lights ● OEM RenaultSport 225 Front Bumper ● Yellow Fogs ● Black Roof

drumace

Postby drumace » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:28 am

I checked a 3 Dr. Magane II Dynamique and it had 8 airbags so I guess you might be wrong.
Anyway, my most concern is the lack of the vertical beam on the 3 Dr. so I'd like to know if it makes the 3 Dr. configuration less safe and more dangerous in case of a side car crash.

Tal

Anthony
Rally Driver
Currently Drives:: 2005 Renault Megane 1.5 dci 100

Postby Anthony » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:19 pm

drumace wrote:I checked a 3 Dr. Magane II Dynamique and it had 8 airbags so I guess you might be wrong.
Anyway, my most concern is the lack of the vertical beam on the 3 Dr. so I'd like to know if it makes the 3 Dr. configuration less safe and more dangerous in case of a side car crash.

Tal

There are 8 air bags in a 3dr. and 10 in a 5dr. Neither is less safe as they both have a 5 star crash rating, simple as that.
2005 1.5dci 100 Sport Hatch -Gone!

tallpaul
Pass Plus

Postby tallpaul » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:23 pm

the 3dr still has the same vertical beam, but the rear wing covers it
52 Megane dCi 120 Dynamique 5dr ● 18" Team Dynamics Pro Comp II ● OEM clear lights ● OEM RenaultSport 225 Front Bumper ● Yellow Fogs ● Black Roof

drumace

Postby drumace » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:02 pm

OK, now it makes sense.
So I guess there is no special safety issue on the 3 Dr. configuration.

Thanks.

Toodeep
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 5 Door Privilege 1.6

Postby Toodeep » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:01 pm

This 'vertical beam' or B pillar (2,3,4 or 5-door) provides surprisingly little of the protection in a sideways impact in most cars, at least in the obvious sense, hence the move towards beams inside doors, stronger sills and computer designed floorpan reinforcement. A strong B pillar is more helpful in the event of a roll. Theoretically a 2/3 door bodyshell has more structural rigidity than an equivalent 4/5 door as there are fewer holes (for doors) in the unitary whole (the reason racing 'saloon' cars used to have their rear doors welded shut). Set against this, rear seat passengers in a 4/5 door can escape/be rescued more easily.

It is the 'give' in the body in this sideways direction that allows the side airbags to do their job. Even if it were practical to make the passenger cell totally rigid in this direction, the occupants would accelerate towards the side of the car with more speed and force than the necessarily thin curtain airbag and seat airbags could cope with without being overwhelmed. Side bags, and therefore cars, would need to get wider to prevent this and would have no bearing on 'whiplash' injuries, which would increase in severity. Think of some of the in-car footage you must have seen on TV of saloon car racers crashing inside their massively strong roll-cages then consider that you would have no neck roll, HANS device or racing seat with extended 'ears'.

Most tellingly, I would imagine that EuroNCAP or other crash ratings could not reasonably be bestowed (or inflicted) on a range of body styles if it were thought that they would each perform markedly differently.

Incidentally, I have 6 airbags (in a 5 door). 2 front, 2 front seat and 2 full-length curtain 'bags, all of which were standard. An extra 2 rear seat 'bags may have been an option but I'm not sure where 9 and 10 would be.

Bumpy macaroon
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: a megane.................doh

Postby Bumpy macaroon » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:39 pm

vertical beam and air bags aside, im a fan of the 5 dr as its easy to get the kids in, im a bigger fan of the 3 dr as its impossible for them to get out without you letting them

and yes we do use the child lock but my boy can climb out of the open rear window or just reach the outside handle.
Bumpy and full of coconuts.
05 1.4 Otto blue Rush Mods: Keyed by some B*%"£~!, interior LEDs
57 106 dci Silver Dynamique Mods: Daughters first baby adidas trainers, Interior LEDs, self made MP3 adaptor

direstraits
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: History: Renault Megane II Touring 1.5 dci 106HP, Clio III 1.2 16v 75HP
Laguna III Ph2 Exception

Postby direstraits » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:04 pm

If I engage child lock, rear windows can only be opened from driver's controls.
2008-2011 MII GT 1.5 dCi 106HP,
2011- Laguna III ST Excep. 1.5 dCi 110 FAP 17" 215/50 Mich. Primacy HP, 16" 195/60 Mich. A4
2012- Clio III 5d Avant. 1.5 dCi 75 FAP 15" 185/60 Mich. Energy Saver, 15" 185/60 ContiWinterContact TS800

Bumpy macaroon
Advanced Driver

Postby Bumpy macaroon » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:46 am

wifes 5door is a cheap rush special edition, (strip out extras and sell prefacelift model start of 2005) it has manual windows in the rear it still has the child lock switch at front with driver which is surprisingly useful when adults get in the back or like i did, climbed in the back to measure the width (needed to fit in a large box) and the door shut, child lock on looks like i will have to climb over seats, then remembered switch.....
57 106 dci Silver Dynamique Mods: Daughters first baby adidas trainers, Interior LEDs, self made MP3 adaptor

AlunWJS
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 'Sport Tourer' (estate) 1.6vvt, March 2004
MGB GT 1798cc 1970

Postby AlunWJS » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:02 pm

On the subject of that switch for activating the child locks, is there a way (as for other cars) for turning the child locks on permanently?

I love the idea of the switch in principle. It's particularly useful if I've got some adult mates in the back who don't want to be treated like kids, allowing them to open the windows or let themselves out. However the wife has a habit of accidentally knocking the switch off and she doesn't always check it before journeys. As my girls are now big enough to reach the handles I'm a little concerned that they're going to open the doors by accident.
2004 Megane 'Sport Tourer' 1.6vvt (the one with all the problems! but to be fair has never let me down and is currently driving beautifully.......)

Bumpy macaroon
Advanced Driver

Postby Bumpy macaroon » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:59 am

just guessing but you could try pulling the switch out,
the system will be perm locked when either the switch closes the cct ie links the two wires together or breaks the cct ie cuts the link so you will have to try the following....

disconnect a wire from the switch, does the system activate the child locks?

if not link the wires together and check.

like i say im only guessing and have not had a look at the switch but it can only work in one of two ways, how you then leave the switch is up to you.......

BlueMeganeII
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 03 Megane 3 door 2.0 VVT Dynamique - Sunroof, 17" Alloys, Keyless Entry and start
55 Grand Espace Initial, Xenons, Leather, Sunroof, Keyless, Sat Nav, Tyre Pressure sensors, 18" Alloys, Roof spoiler/bars.

Postby BlueMeganeII » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:05 am

If you look along the edge of the door there should be a small keyed area, you need a screw driver to change it. This engages the child locks (door) permantly but not the windows. They are still controlled by the switch at the front.

Return to “Pre Ownership Questions”