1.9dci test drive on 13/9/09

Any questions you may have before you buy or receive your car can go in here!!

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

cooke80

1.9dci test drive on 13/9/09

Postby cooke80 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:19 pm

I have seen a 1.9dci touring for £3700 on an 05 plate with 93k miles. The price for the age is excellent in my opinion, the reason for the price is obviously the mileage. But the engine sounds good, it had its belts changed at 71k. It seems very good value for money, the body work while dent free it is riddled with stone chips (which leads me to believe its a motorway mile muncher).

Is there anything specific to this particular car i need to look out for?

thanks in advance

:pc out

davelowe
Driving Legend

Re: 1.9dci test drive on 13/9/09

Postby davelowe » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:32 pm

This isn't going to be a helpful post, but check just about everything.

Full service history, any history of water ingress into electronics, air con effective, fully synth oil throughout entire life time (5W40 B4), regular oil changes (9k not 18k), handbrake works - check the button release multiple times, try all the electronics (lights etc) as many times as is humanly possible. Check the radio is seated flush with the dashboard, ensure the stalk controls work. Look for any oil leaks under the bonnet (pull of the plastic cover for good access). Find out the smoke test results from the last MOT. Check that the VOSA recall brake pedal has been carried out (might not apply to the 05 plate). Make sure you can start it by depressing the clutch pedal only (not also the brake). Ensure the turbo doesn't whine excessively. Reset the trip mpg display and over a decent mixed run ensure you get 35+ mpg. That and many more... Sounds a fairly good example age/distance wise - suited to a diesel. Just beware anything that doesn't seem 'right' or has an excuse attached. I would say that it sounds an exceptionally good deal. Ask what the catch is.

Good luck!
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

cooke80

Postby cooke80 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:27 pm

i'm doing this from a mobile so excuse the punctuation.

had the test drive and i was very impressed with the way it drove. picked up well from low speeds, changed gear smoothly, all the electrical items worked, it started using the clutch only. i was very happy with it. however (there is always a however)
a. the air con didn't kick in. it wasn't a case of it needs regassing, but the stop didn't kick in.
b. water in the below floor compartment on the passenger side.

i'll read up on both there faults when i get home.
anyone want to offer an opinion?

cooke80

Postby cooke80 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:15 pm

right, back home now.

I forgot to mention that the car was clean underneath and was a former fleet car anything that needed doing has been done. No problem with the CV joints (did a slow circle on full lock left and right), exhaust looked as good as new, no oil leaks, no whistle from the turbo and consdiering the mileage, i couldn't fault the engine.

just going to do a search now on water ingress

cooke80

Postby cooke80 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:19 pm

had a read up about water ingress, i'm scared to death. I know the window regulator has been replaced already. But with all the water in the footwell, i think it is better to walk away from the car i looked at. And quite possibly meganes in general.

Lovely car to drive, but just can't take the risk

what car to look at next? :banghead

Toosh
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 03 Megane 1.9 dCi 120 Dynamique Sport Hatch in Black.
Nervasport alloys, Comfort Pack, Full Leather interior, 6 Disc CD Changer,
Panoramic Roof, and loads more stuff.

Postby Toosh » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:26 am

Water in the footwell is normally a badly sealed speaker in the doorcard.
Black 03 Megane dCi 120 Dynamique Sport Hatch. Gone but not forgotten.
Black 56 Pug 207 GT 1.6 Turbo

tallpaul
Pass Plus

Postby tallpaul » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:52 pm

water in the footwell is a common issue, mine had the same, I re-sealed the speakers and keep the front drains clear and its been fine.
52 Megane dCi 120 Dynamique 5dr ● 18" Team Dynamics Pro Comp II ● OEM clear lights ● OEM RenaultSport 225 Front Bumper ● Yellow Fogs ● Black Roof

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:08 pm

cooke80 wrote:had a read up about water ingress, i'm scared to death. I know the window regulator has been replaced already. But with all the water in the footwell, i think it is better to walk away from the car i looked at. And quite possibly meganes in general.

Lovely car to drive, but just can't take the risk

Wise move. It's easy to find faults with this car, but some things are simple to solve - they shouldn't need solving, but then the vehicle is French.

The thing that most concerned me is the air con excuse. Obviously the water ingress is a problem with many solutions, but you could be looking at hefty bills to fix them, and it would seem that many people have reported 'botched' repairs. I know myself that I have done them - including fixing the glove box handle using double sided cello tape and bit of technic lego! You can't tell on the surface, but it's there beneath the surface. Shame Renault didn't iron out these kinds of problems during the R & D phase.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

Return to “Pre Ownership Questions”