Should i buy a Megane II?

Any questions you may have before you buy or receive your car can go in here!!

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

DaveyB1981

Should i buy a Megane II?

Postby DaveyB1981 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:07 pm

Evening all,

Currently looking to replace the family pug 306. Possibilities include the Focus, Civic, 307 and of course, the Megane. I've always been a fan of the Megane II and would say it is currently top of the list for me. My concern though is around reliability. In the old days this wasnt such a concern, but i now have a young family and have to be sensible.

You guys obviously have an affinity with the cars, but my question is, if you didnt, would you still buy one? Are they as unreliable as some (including this site) seem to make out?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

steve the postman
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 1.5 DCI 86 EXTREME TUNING BOX
DAB DIGITAL RADIO/DVD PLAYER
HID HEADLIGHTS
PIAA HORNS
GT LEATHER STEERING WHEEL

Re: Should i buy a Megane II?

Postby steve the postman » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:43 pm

On my third megane 2 had 2 clios before that
As with any make of car you do get some friday afternoon dogs
I haven't had one yet (oh crap i'm thinking of a new one in a couple of months thats me jinxed)
But do your homework here look for common faults then look at your other choices sites they will have criticts too
One thing i can say is very very comfortable seats
Steve
1.5 DCI 86 EXTREME, TUNING BOX, DAB DIGITAL RADIO/DVD PLAYER, HID HEADLIGHTS, PIAA HORNS, GT LEATHER STEERING WHEEL.

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:29 pm

Hi Dave :wave

I've only ever owned Renault's and only had one really bad one (52 plate Laguna 1.9dCi). My Megane 1.5dCi saloon was a good car that had a few small problems that annoyed me more than anything, but they were soon fixed by my dealer. My dad has just sold his 1.9dCi Saloon after nearly 4 years (bought a new Megane III 1.5dCi Privilige) and that was virtually trouble free.

The thing that makes the difference is how you are treated by the dealer if you do have any problems? Good customer service and support makes a huge difference to the ownership of any car, smaller dealers tend to be better than the larger multi-dealership franchises.

A word of advice, be very careful and wary of Arnold Clark franchises! There are so many people (not just Renault owners) who have nothing but swear words to say about AC :td
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

Gav
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Sport Tourer, 1.5 dCi 106

Postby Gav » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:31 am

Before my Megane I had a 307, which was replaced due to unreliability shortly after the warranty ran out. The Megane has had a few issues, they've been sorted out by the local dealership I brought it from.

Compared to a 306, all of them are a lot larger, especially the Focus that is widest. I regularly park next to a 306 and Focus 1 so it's easy to see the difference. It may be a factor for you. If you need boot space in a hatch then I think the Civic will be a better choice than Megane, or go for the sport tourer and have plenty of room for all the family paraphanalia!
06 Extreme Blue 1.5dCi 106 Dynamique Sport Tourer with panoramic sunroof and Dension Gateway

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Postby Stranger » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:49 am

Dave, don't forget that people are less likely to shout the praises of a car than they are to complain about it's inadequacies.

I had a coupe and then a Megane II and whilst I did have a few problems with the II they wree all sorted either by using info found on here, my really helpful dealer who is alas no more or a mechanic mate.

Good cars, good drive and good looks imo. If you don't try you'll never know :cool:
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

rossioni
Currently Drives:: magane tourer - tdi

Postby rossioni » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:13 pm

Yep but dont go near one without a warranty

Return to “Pre Ownership Questions”