alloy wheel fitting

For all stuff related to modifying your car

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

jim1.9dci
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: 53 1.9dci

alloy wheel fitting

Postby jim1.9dci » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:59 pm

just wandering, i have just won a set of 18s on ebay they are 4 x 100 et 38 do i need new bolts or will the 1s holding my 17 inch nervasports on do the job? also is there a need for any spacers ,thanks

steve the postman
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 1.5 DCI 86 EXTREME TUNING BOX
DAB DIGITAL RADIO/DVD PLAYER
HID HEADLIGHTS
PIAA HORNS
GT LEATHER STEERING WHEEL

Re: alloy wheel fitting

Postby steve the postman » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:16 pm

pm the finn he seems to be the boy for wheel advice
Steve
1.5 DCI 86 EXTREME, TUNING BOX, DAB DIGITAL RADIO/DVD PLAYER, HID HEADLIGHTS, PIAA HORNS, GT LEATHER STEERING WHEEL.

TheFinn
Advanced Driver

Postby TheFinn » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:17 pm

Hard to say without seeing the wheels in person, but most aftermarket wheels are drilled for conical bolt seats with a 60 degree cone. The Renault bolts used with the Nervasports are just this type, with the nice addition of a separate spacer under the bolt's head that prevents the bolt from eating into the soft alloy on tightening.

(Another bolt type is a sphere-seated one, although these are more commonly used on steel wheels. They shouldn't be used for wheels with conical seats, or vice versa.)

Just make sure the Renault bolts are long enough for the new alloys: Insert a bolt through the Nervasport bolt hole and measure how much thread is visible behind the wheel. Then insert the same bolt through your new wheel and make sure the visible thread is at least as long as with the original wheel. Then you can be sure your install is safe.

You won't need any wheel spacers. But you do need to make sure the centre bore on the wheel fits the Renault 60.1mm hub flange. Aftermarket alloys usually have separate, changeable centering rings to match different hub flange diameters of different car makes. Obviously, if the centering ring is too small you won't be able to fit the wheel. But if it's too big you shouldn't fit it then, neither. If the wheels come with too big centering rings, you should be able to buy correct sized ones from most tyre shops, just take your wheels there for measure so they can see how big the outer diameter of the ring needs to be.

Hope this helps.
2,0 16V 6-speed manual: Image - Image

steve the postman
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 1.5 DCI 86 EXTREME TUNING BOX
DAB DIGITAL RADIO/DVD PLAYER
HID HEADLIGHTS
PIAA HORNS
GT LEATHER STEERING WHEEL

Postby steve the postman » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:18 pm

See what i mean??????
Steve
1.5 DCI 86 EXTREME, TUNING BOX, DAB DIGITAL RADIO/DVD PLAYER, HID HEADLIGHTS, PIAA HORNS, GT LEATHER STEERING WHEEL.

jim1.9dci
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: 53 1.9dci

Postby jim1.9dci » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:12 pm

thank you very much , that is a big help! :) the wheels im buying are off a vauxhall so i need to check that bore diameter

Return to “Modifications”