Bumpers

For all stuff related to modifying your car

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

mike123
Learner Driver

Bumpers

Postby mike123 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:11 pm

I cant decide what to do.... I would like my bumpers and side strips body colouring, but I dont know wether to go to my renault dealer to see if my parts can be just changed for silver ones. With my last car, I had a ford fiesta and took that to a body shop to have the same done, side strips, door handles etc and that cost £700. When I had this done I was advised not to go through a drive through car wash and to only wash by hand. I dont know what to do..... :?

Opinions please
Silver Facelift 2006 3 door 1.6vvt Megane Dyanmique

Mattj
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 1.9 DCi

Re: Bumpers

Postby Mattj » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:11 pm

seems alot of dosh !! i coulda sworn people were paying around 200 to have the side strips done. If they are done properly and rubbed down and primed properly and several coats of paint to get an even surface then they should be ok to go thru a car wash - it the surface isnt keyed properly to priming then even hand washing could cause the surface to crack and then flake off

if i had the spare cash then i would - but thats me :)
Renault Megane II - 1.9 dCI

davidloveshismeg
Passed Theory

Postby davidloveshismeg » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:13 am

Hey

I went to renault two years ago to see about colour coding my clio. They offered the service at a huge price and also the strips and bumpers where not sprayed, just coloured plastic so I just decided to go a good sprayer to get them done that way, and much cheaper!!

Dave

Jonault
Advanced Driver

Postby Jonault » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:53 pm

Try and avoid automatic car washes, only wash by hand or use a jetwash to avoid having your paintwork dulled by a myriad of tiny scratches.
1.4 Hatch, Ottoman Blue, 55 Reg, Dynamique

Mattj
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 1.9 DCi

Postby Mattj » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:03 pm

anyway seems alot cheaper to go to hand car washes anyway - around here its around £6-7 to get a decent car wash or £10 to take it to this hand car wash place run by some polish blokes and they vacuum the car as well !!
Renault Megane II - 1.9 dCI

mike123
Learner Driver

Postby mike123 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:04 pm

Ive saw a few body coloured meganes about, assuming the body coloured panels are just coloured plastic. IMO they look pretty good. I suppose i'd have to phone renault and a few bodyshops and just see who can offer the best deal. With my fiesta when i had that sprayed they matched the paint perfectly and it was a really unusual grey colour. £700 was a bit much though just to get panels sprayed, plus the fact I couldnt go through drive through cars washes, which I usually do cos I can never be bothered to wash it by hand. Does anyone have any pics from when they have had their Megs body coloured?

Thanks for your replies.

Mike :-)
Silver Facelift 2006 3 door 1.6vvt Megane Dyanmique

Return to “Modifications”