Diesel Tuning Unit - KingQuick Technologies

For all stuff related to modifying your car

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Diesel Tuning Unit - KingQuick Technologies

Postby IainMW » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:30 pm

Well after changing the old 1.5dCi 100 Megane for a 2.0dCi 150 Laguna Sport Tourer I've been enjoying the extra power and torque but missing the fuel economy :(

So after looking at the various Tuning options available (and being frightened at the prices) I've decided to plump for one from these guy's
https://www.kingquick.co.uk/store/home.php

Better still I bought it for £99 from eBay :shock: :D

I was very sceptical at this price that I was buying a load of rubbish but after several email conversations with a guy called Jeff (from KingQuick) and reading many positive posts on other forums I've parted with my cash.
It's not arrived yet so can't comment on any improvement yet but will do as soon as it's fitted.
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:48 am

Ordered it Monday night (from eBay £99 :D ) Delivered Monday afternoon :shock: :D

Fitted Monday night; this took about 15 minutes as the pressure sensor connector is difficult to access on the 2.0dCi and then I needed to find a suitable place for the unit (just in front of the battery in a small compartment.

In a word WOW! :shock:

The car is now smoother through all the gears and pulls much better from lower revs in higher gears, and after 120 miles the trip computer is now recording a 3mpg improvment in economy.

I've not adjusted the module in any way as it comes with the optimal profile set, but I can and this will give me more or less power.

So a definate thumbs up from me! :cool:
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

robwinand
Currently Drives:: Renault Mégane II 1.9dci 120, K&N Filter, NSport 17"

Postby robwinand » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:41 am

Hi Iain,
Do you know how much extra horse power you've got?
RWA

IainMW
F1 Driver

Postby IainMW » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:46 pm

Not exact figures.

The claims of the unit are "upto" 30% more power and torque and "upto" 10% more fuel economy

In standard form the 2.0dCi kicks out 150bhp and 340Nm of torque.
With the Kingquick module this rises to 178bhp and 390Nm :-P

Here is part of an email conversation I had with Jeff from Kingquick.

Hi Jeff

Fitted the unit last night reasonably easily; the pressure sensor connector
was a bit difficult to access but I eventually managed it.

Only had a quick drive around in the car just to check everything was okay
(which it is) as it was quite late when I fitted it. Certainly feels
different to drive now; smoother power delivery in the lower gears, less
transmission shunt at low speed and it now pulls much more cleanly from low
revs in the higher gears.

Just a couple of questions:

1: I have not yet adjusted the module in anyway, it's as it came. What sort
of power increases are achieved with every 1mm of adjustment and is there a
recommended setting?
At the moment the pointer is in the 11 o'clock position. I appreciate every
engine responds differently to these tuning modules but what is the
estimated power gain between the minimum/maximum settings of the unit?
I'm not to bothered about a massive power increase but I would like to
improve my fuel economy.

Jeff's reply

Thanks for your questions and I'll try to answer them in turn for you. The
unit should provide a smoother engine and as you say, it should be nicer to drive.

The recommended setting is as the module was sent but each 1mm of turn
clockwise will steadily increase the aggressiveness of the profile. At the
point the engine rattles or feels lumpy is the time to adjust back a little,
there are no pre-determined positions for extra BHP or torque as all engines are slightly different.

The fuel economy comes from the engine not running at such high revs to
achieve the desired "pull away speed" We have to inject slightly more fuel
to provide the extra power and the more power you have, the lower you will tend to keep the revs, by not using the high revs so much, this is where you'll save on the fuel. I hope that makes sense to you! More power= more economy! Strange but true :-)

robwinand
Currently Drives:: Renault Mégane II 1.9dci 120, K&N Filter, NSport 17"

Postby robwinand » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:01 am

Hey Iain,
Thanks for your reply. any chance of posting pictures of the connected unit? just wanted to know if it's as simple as you described. I've got a 2004 1.9dci sport hatch (3dr). Was thinking of having it remaped with angel tuning but, this seems to do the business at third of the cost.

RWA
RWA

Gav
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Sport Tourer, 1.5 dCi 106

Postby Gav » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:07 pm

This all sounds very interesting... I guess they have the lower prices on ebay to try and get some sales - the extra functionality of the premier unit would justify (to me) the extra £20 (if I were getting one): Waiting until the engine is warm, and only making adjustments when it feels it's safe to do so. That might mean it can tell when it's idling and therefore not command any extra fuel to be burned. I would expect that the fuel economy would get better since you could select a higher gear for the speed - perhaps not so great for motorway use...

If you have such a unit, I'm presuming that you really should be telling your insurers - just like with any change to the spec of your car. And if the car is looked at by a Renault dealer they might get a bit shirty if they saw it (so needing removal/replacing before/after going).
06 Extreme Blue 1.5dCi 106 Dynamique Sport Tourer with panoramic sunroof and Dension Gateway

Deano16v
Advanced Driver

Postby Deano16v » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:04 pm

all sounds great but its still crude. I think i'd still pay the extra and go for the remap but only because it is custom to the car. Those boxes are designed to work off the shelf for any car but all cars arent the same.

Cant argue with the price though and as you say the difference it makes.
DCi 120 for sale, 52,000 miles, £3250 ono

IainMW
F1 Driver

Postby IainMW » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:09 am

I'll post some pic's as soon as I can find 10 minutes to spare.

Yes, any modification to the car and your insurance company needs to made aware of this, like wise Renault could argue that the warranty would be affected, but in all reality the unit take's 2 minutues to fit and remove, so when the car goes in for a service then I will remove it.

Deano16V, in what way is it crude?
It's actually a very sophisticated bit of kit to do what it does and if you look at it another way every car that comes off the production line has exactly the same ECU map as standard. The unit simply alters this mapping to a different profile which can be altered via the adjuster.
A full remap as you say optimises the engines performance that a tuning box "off the shelf" does not do quite as well.

I did not have £400 plus to part with for a full remap and was going to plump for one of the Premier units from Kingquicks website but when I found the Classic unit on eBay at £99 (now at £115.00 unfortunately) and a little advice from Jeff at Kingquick I decided to go for that and save myself even more money. The performance is significantly improved and my fuel economy has also improved as well so I'm happy, and at the end of the day I can take the unit off and sell it when I get rid of the car. So a win win situation all round :-)

Deano16v
Advanced Driver

Postby Deano16v » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:00 pm

sorry, didnt mean my reply to come across as arsey. by crude i only meant in comparison to a full remap. the point i was trying to make was similar to the one you raised about the standard ECU maps in that the boxes are an off the shelf item.

at the end of the day more people buy boxes than remaps and nearly everyone is happy with them, as are you, so they are by no means a bad things.

just makes you think though that you paid £125 for yours and it does everything it says on the tin and more, how can some other companies charge 2 maybe 3 times the price for theirs!
DCi 120 for sale, 52,000 miles, £3250 ono

snowy
Just Passed

Re: Diesel Tuning Unit - KingQuick Technologies

Postby snowy » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:58 pm

diesel diesel diesel.... is there anything like this for petrol?!!

IainMW
F1 Driver

Postby IainMW » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:25 am

snowy wrote:diesel diesel diesel.... is there anything like this for petrol?!!

Yes there is, Superchips can remap petrol engines as I'm sure other companies can as well?

snowy
Just Passed

Postby snowy » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:01 pm

aye i know that but is there anything 'remote'?

IainMW
F1 Driver

Postby IainMW » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:44 pm

Pics of the installation on my Laguna 2.0dCi

:cool:

james_k

Postby james_k » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:32 pm

just ordered mine from this place today for my megane, just waiting for the post man to arrive with it! :D
06/55plate Renault Megane 1.9DCI (130) Dynamique 3 door!

steve the postman
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 1.5 DCI 86 EXTREME TUNING BOX
DAB DIGITAL RADIO/DVD PLAYER
HID HEADLIGHTS
PIAA HORNS
GT LEATHER STEERING WHEEL

Postby steve the postman » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:59 pm

took me less than 5 mins to install mine
took longer to route wires neatly than to put in
mpg up and power too
57 dec 07 1.5dci 86
1.5 DCI 86 EXTREME, TUNING BOX, DAB DIGITAL RADIO/DVD PLAYER, HID HEADLIGHTS, PIAA HORNS, GT LEATHER STEERING WHEEL.

Return to “Modifications”