Coilover goodness

For all stuff related to modifying your car

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

TheFinn
Advanced Driver

Coilover goodness

Postby TheFinn » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:23 pm

Received a package the other day:

Opened it to first find a pair of progressive rear springs...

...marked like this:

Lifted those out, only to find more schweet schtuff from Germany. Beautifully wrapped in bubble wrapping (unlike some kits from other manufacturers I've received where the parts are knocking against each other unprotected):

Here's one of the front springs, progressive like the rear ones:

Started unwrapping, first out came a front shock absorber strut. Notice the height-adjustable spring lower seat over the threaded strut body:

H&R use a so-called "upside-down" or "inverted" technology on these struts. That is, the thinner shock absorber piston rod that normally points upwards and is visible, is pointing downwards on these and is hidden away inside the strut's body. I won't waste time trying to describe that in detail here, if you're a complete anorak then check out how H&R's shock absorber supplier Bilstein explain it.

All this invertedness is duly covered by a protective rubber boot:

Just in case you wouldn't know what part you're holding in your hand, they've slapped on a sticker giving out the game:

More unwrapping follows, and we've exposed yet another shocker, this time for the rear and in those trademark blue&yellow Bilstein colours:

They had to slap on a sticker there, too:

We've almost uncovered the whole package but for these little gems:

They're for the rear height adjustment and are placed between the body and the top of the rear spring.

The plan is to fit all this sometimes in May or early June, together with some other stuff I've already collected for my FRS makeover....
2,0 16V 6-speed manual: Image - Image

kylehimself
Pass Plus

Postby kylehimself » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:16 pm

very nice peice of kit mate! how low you gonna go??

kyle :cool:

TheFinn
Advanced Driver

Postby TheFinn » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:29 pm

I'm thinking 45 to 60 mm with a very slight "wedge" i.e. front slightly lower than rear. The exact amount of drop depends on the wheel/tyre combo, I've yet to find me some decent wheels.... But that's why I chose an adjustable kit, fine-tuning the height to perfection will be a doddle! :-)
2,0 16V 6-speed manual: Image - Image

Return to “Modifications”