call me stupid...

For all stuff related to modifying your car

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

kylehimself
Pass Plus

call me stupid...

Postby kylehimself » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:13 am

as some people may know i have just fitted facelift rear lights to my meg. now call me stupid, but is it possible to get facelift front bumpers fitted to my phase I. in particular 225 bumpers??? if so, would it be rediculously priced?

TheFinn
Advanced Driver

Postby TheFinn » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:55 pm

It's possible, but you need (at least) these new parts from a Ph. II:

- front bumper
- front bumper rub strips left+right (if fitting a non-RS front)
- undertray and wheelarch liner extensions (if fitting an RS front)
- front grills (two uppers + one lower)
- headlights
- headlight supports (behind the front bumper)
- foglight wiring (or the old one must be lenghtened)

If buying new parts from Renault, yes, the prices will be ridiculous...

kylehimself
Pass Plus

Postby kylehimself » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:27 pm

cheers for the info, but after seeing what all i would need, i have to say in short... f**k that!

if anything i might just go for the ibherdesign vega kit... also costly but probably nowhere near what renault would expect.

renault are wild expensive! i was looking at a set of wheels of them, stupidly thinkin' id get there wheels at an alright price. for the set of 17" louxor (cant remember if thats what there called) alloys, they wanted 564 quid and i think that was just for rims no tyres. now why pay that when you could get a set of great lookin' 17" wheels from like wolfrace or sumthin' for less money with good tyres included???

Jonault
Advanced Driver

Postby Jonault » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:53 pm

Try this lot for alloys:

http://www.alloywheels.com/alloywheels.asp

I got a set of Momo Corse Black 17" from this company. Put your vehicle details in the boxes and it lets you know which set will or will not fit your car.
1.4 Hatch, Ottoman Blue, 55 Reg, Dynamique

R55VYS
Advanced Driver

Postby R55VYS » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:19 pm

Id go for something like this fella,

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Renault-Megane-22 ... dZViewItem

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Renault-Megane-Sp ... dZViewItem

i dont have an undertray on mine and it causes no probs, its not a structural piece.

If your after fitting the new style bumper, it might not work out that bad, but as said above you will need new headlights brackets etc, may pick up cheap from ebay, you can get away with out an undertray, but if you buy a bumper from renault £220 ish + vat i think you get one with it anyway, could be wrong as i think thats old shape, dont think you'll need to mess on with foglights mine just pluged straight in. engine covers are ment to be diff aswell but thats if your bothered, just give ren a ring and see how much, may be worth ringin two aswell as the prices seem to vary.

The guy i got my bumpers from put the vega kit on his 225, said it was a bitch to fit, and he spent loads of getting the kit to look like it was suppose to be on, ie lining up properly. it did look well tho, but il tell you now you wont be going over speed bumps, steep drives, multistorey car parks etc, would make it totally unpractical, lol, sorry having a right rant at you here, end of the day tho its your choice.

if you get 17's put on try to get the largest profile tyres on you can cos they look tiny, bearing in mind 20's go under the archs with no work, that should give you an idea of the gap thats left with 17's, my 18's with a 40 profile have the same rolling radius as the standard 16's, ie dont fill the arches more than the standard ones.

kylehimself
Pass Plus

Postby kylehimself » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:24 pm

cheers for your help R55VYS. if i can get away with 18's i might just go for them instead.

as for the 225 stuff, checked renault. price i got was £356 for bumper. the guy told me they had never fitted a 225 bumper to a regualr car so wouldn't know how well it would work.

and the vega kit fitting wouldnt be a problem know a good few guys in a couple of car moding shops over here could sort me out. can get the kit at trade price and fitted for cheap! dunno if im gonna bother anymore, might just settle for getting the bumper molds and bump strips coded to the car!

one more thing. window tinting? can you have the rear windows tinted as dark as you want but the front only to a certain % of visibility or somethin?

and how much would you be talkin for the back to be done?

Basenji
Rally Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane 2 hb

Postby Basenji » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:18 am

If 17" very good mix of look/quality /price is DEZENT offer , i.e. F.
Fitted on my vehicle- you can have a look.
zdrówko

P.S. It doesn't sound silly that you are infected by tunning. :lol:
Meggie slightly customized http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=aD_K0VbKYGs

R55VYS
Advanced Driver

Postby R55VYS » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:03 am

Yeah you can do the back three as dark as you like, but as you say the front two can only be done to a certain %, and the windows have a tint on as standard so i think if you put the lightest of tints on it would be darker than allowed, and they can make you pull it off on the roadside, but thats worst case scenario.

My dad paid £170 to get someone to tint his windows alround and they did it on the front of our house, top job to.
no idea for just the back, just ring some companys they'll give you a quote no probs.

18's go on easy mate, as i say ive done it to mine, a guy had 19's on a 1.6 and they only slightly rubbed on full lock.

When i got my bumpers i went into renault and had a bit crack with them and they give me aload of slava that 225 bumpers wouldnt fit my car as the fittings that connect to the front wings are diff, and all 225 models, eg cup, trophy, have diff fittings again. My bumper came off a trophy and fits my can no probs at all, so my conclusion..... renault are clueless.

They do look totally diff colour coded like, get some 18's banged on, slam it 45mm and twill look pimping.

Wasnt trying to put you off the vega kit, as i say if its done right it looks class, the guys who i seen was gleaming, best meg ive seen, looked crazy coming down the street, had morrettes on to.

kylehimself
Pass Plus

Postby kylehimself » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:07 am

you didnt put me off the vega kit chum. just decided im gonna get the bumpers coded and slap on 18's, got the money for the paint job, so im gonna get that done soon. as for the wheels, im a bit skint gotta save my pennies for them that will take a while (im still payin of car you see) and maybe also go for the tint too!

oh yeah! renault said they would code the car for 120 pound... does that sounds rite? seemed almost to cheap to be true as it is renault i im dealing with here.

R55VYS before i commit to anything, since you have done it, can you gimme an exact list of the nesecery items i would need to fit an rs bumper. like light bracketts and so on? kinda want to show it to the renault guys so they dont end up telling me i need more than i do.

TheFinn
Advanced Driver

Postby TheFinn » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:36 pm

If you're willing to go the RS route Phase I stylee, then there are less expensive alternatives to original Renault bumpers.

Check out Carzone, they do RS Ph. I replica bumpers in glassfibre. The kit includes the (un?)necessary undertray and wheelarch liner extensions.

I can't be bothered to convert euros to pounds right now, but a front or rear bumper from them is something in the region of 250€ apiece, and a full kit including front and rear is a little less than the price of front and rear bought individually.

kylehimself
Pass Plus

Postby kylehimself » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:08 pm

thanks finn! carzone kits looks gd, only one thing? where the grills should be its more like a mesh, know of any alternatives to the mesh that would fit?

R55VYS
Advanced Driver

Postby R55VYS » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:22 pm

PM'd

TheFinn
Advanced Driver

Postby TheFinn » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:43 pm

kylehimself wrote:thanks finn! carzone kits looks gd, only one thing? where the grills should be its more like a mesh, know of any alternatives to the mesh that would fit?

The original Megane RS grilles are a direct fit to the replica bumper, the mesh is just delivered as part of the kit because it's a cheaper alternative and because the company probably hasn't got plastic injection moulding (or whatever) equipment to produce replica grilles, their speciality is just laminating fibreglass.

You could also use your existing non-RS upper grilles and just get a genuine lower RS grille, although that might create an optical mismatch.

kylehimself
Pass Plus

Postby kylehimself » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:38 am

pm'd you back r55vys. cheers mate! loads of help. il be keepin' in touch for anymore info you have

lol btw everyone, got pulled by the police tonight for driving with my front fogs on!!! peeler told me its illegal? after my warning he burned off in his well done up 3.2 vw passat!!! the police over here have some motors. point is, pulled me for drivin' with fogs and then he speeds off and goes well over the national speed limit... illegal much? i think so...

Return to “Modifications”