Megane Facelift Rear light Cluster Part No's Here

For all stuff related to modifying your car

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Dr Dave

Postby Dr Dave » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:25 am

snowy wrote:nice one Dr Dave! so the short loom connects to the light via the connector, and then you have to solder the other end to the cars loom. is this correct?

thats it, :wink: its up to you where you solder them as the new short loom is about 4 foot long, so you can hide the "join" quite far back, when its taped up with loom tape, you cant tell its not factory.
must help with resale etc?

renier
Pass Plus

Postby renier » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:16 pm

Dr Dave wrote:total cost was £150, including both rear lights and both short looms.

I've been to the dealers today and have shown them Dr Dave's pics of the short loom. They had to look in a separate ordering system, but found the short looms finally. If I wanted to order them, they would charge me £80 for 2 sets of short looms. :o

I've paid only £87 for both rear lights (got a 20% discount). The normal price for both rear lights at my dealer is £109. This would mean that you've paid £41 for 2 sets of short looms?? :shock:

I've spent £10 for 3 sets of mini Iso cables. Makes a total of £97 for the complete installation.

Although I like the sollution with the short looms a lot, I'll stick to my unprofessional method, saved me £53 :wink:

I think it's criminal of Renault to charge so much money for a stupid set of cables :x

Dr Dave wrote:when its taped up with loom tape, you cant tell its not factory. must help with resale etc?

I'll just keep the original lights and when selling the car remove the new wiring and new lights completely. As i've kept the original wiring intact, nobody will ever know that they've even been there! :wink:
Last edited by renier on Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Megane II 5D-Hatch 2003 * 2.0 16V Autom. Dynamique * Gris Boreal
17" Steppe * Leather * RS front grilles
Xenon + 5LED side lights * Clear side indicators * Ph. 2 rear lights
Cabasse Tunerlist * Pioneer TS-Q131C/TS-E1396 * Ice>Link Plus + iPod

kylehimself
Pass Plus

Postby kylehimself » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:55 pm

hi everyone! if your like me, scared of wreckin' your lights and wiring and renault wouldn't order the new looms or whatever. and you want the phase II megane rear lights, and dont wanna pay 80 odd quid for the loom jobies, *think that was the price quoted* then why not just take the car to an auto electrician? i did cost me 30 pound to get them wired up. and the spark had the car in and out in 2 hours flat! maybe not as neat as getting the correct wires and all but at least you get a good job.

my overall cost was 120 quid. 80 for the lights and 30 for the spark. and at least if something goes wrong the electrician is liable and not you. so if somebody goes into the back of you cause your brake lights sudenly stop workin', you have someone to fall back on.

im gonna TRY (but dont really wanna poke at stuff incase i mess it up) and get pics up of the job he done. mybe give you a guys who want to d.i.y. a bit more of an idea of how its done.

one more thing. after reading so many posts on this and seeing how much hassel and trouble people have to go throught for this modification, for all that is, id just like to say. renault are complete d!cks lol the replacement of these lights could be made so much simpler if dealerships would just fit them. but they wont, cause theres no money in it therefor they have no interest!

Dr Dave

Postby Dr Dave » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:00 pm

at the end of the day, everyones a winner :lol:
which ever route you take, its good to have options. 8)

renier
Pass Plus

Postby renier » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:24 pm

kylehimself wrote: renault are complete d!cks lol the replacement of these lights could be made so much simpler if dealerships would just fit them. but they wont, cause theres no money in it therefor they have no interest!

I've been wondering this as well why they changed the plugs, they must have known that owners of a pre-face lift model would like to change to the new model. :?:

Therefore, I think they intended it (it's a conspiracy theory :wink: ....), to prevent people from updating their old model rear lights to the new model. Perhaps not to offend owners of the newer model who suddenly see everybody driving around with their new model rear lights :lol: :lol:

Stupid choice of Renault if you ask me, as I think they could earn a lot of money in the after sales of these new rear lights to "pre-facelift owners". And when they offered the short looms at a reasonable price, a lot more people would purchase those as well or have the dealer fit them.

At Volkswagen, this is completely different, I get a lot of free advertising from the dealer with a lot of options in these brochures for these kind of upgrades, with full garantee and properly done by the dealer.

At least we are driving around in the latest fashion 8)
Last edited by renier on Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kylehimself
Pass Plus

Postby kylehimself » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:14 pm

just got some pics of my new lights on, nothing you havn't seen before but just thought i would share. *phone pics sorry if there crap*

old phase I lights

new phase II lights

hazards/indicators

sides/brakes and fog

wiring. sorry this wont really help anyone see how it was done. but as you can see, just connected to new cables to old. soldered and taped. tasty job!

im really happy with the outcome here. car looks 100% now. also happy cause i just found out an old friend of mine now works in Renault, gets my parts cheap and stuff done with no hassle. my passenger side mirror glass was shattered. he got me a new one... for free! saved me £28 god bless the few good people at Renault!

renier
Pass Plus

Postby renier » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:42 am

Funny to see that in the UK the fog light is on the right side of the car, where in left-side driven cars it is on the left.

Did he use my wiring schedule or figure it out on his own?

Looks great!
Last edited by renier on Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kylehimself
Pass Plus

Postby kylehimself » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:00 am

i thought that about the fog too. my dads theory is that the fog is placed behind the driver, to show that the driver side is toward the middle of the road, for overtaking purposes in foggy weather. but maybe thats rubbish! i dunno. as for the spark. he worked out the wiring himself. pretty quick too but then thats his job! it definatly a nice wee mod!

Jonault
Advanced Driver

Postby Jonault » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:09 am

kylehimself

Is extreme blue the same as ottoman blue? The colour looks the same as my car.

John
1.4 Hatch, Ottoman Blue, 55 Reg, Dynamique

Dr Dave

Postby Dr Dave » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:47 am

renier wrote:Funny to see that in the UK the fog light is on the right side of the car, where in left-side driven cars it is on the left.

Did he use my wiring schedule or figure it out on his own?

Looks great!

when doing the light upgrade, i just ran a wire across to the left hand lights and now have fog lights both sides, might help in very foggy conditions (england :P )

navid.v
Rally Driver

Postby navid.v » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:12 pm

Jonault wrote:kylehimself

Is extreme blue the same as ottoman blue? The colour looks the same as my car.

John

as far as I know,renault has changed the name of ottoman blue to extreme blue on the new cars,so I would say the car in question is Ottoman blue rather than extreme.
Current Car:BMW Z4 2.5 SE 04,Renault Clio Dynamique S 1.2 TCE 58 ;Previous Car:Megane II Sports Hatch 55 Reg Ottoman Blue 1.6 VVT

kylehimself
Pass Plus

Postby kylehimself » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:28 pm

to be honest i don't know, i just checked my paint code with renault and they came up with extreme blue. but as you say, they both look the same.

Jonault
Advanced Driver

Postby Jonault » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:44 pm

Well whatever Renault want to call it, it's still a great colour that varies depending on light conditions.
1.4 Hatch, Ottoman Blue, 55 Reg, Dynamique

kylehimself
Pass Plus

Postby kylehimself » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:39 pm

couldn't agree more mate!

renier
Pass Plus

Postby renier » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:17 pm

Dr Dave wrote:when doing the light upgrade, i just ran a wire across to the left hand lights and now have fog lights both sides, might help in very foggy conditions (england :P )

Is this allowed in the UK?

I've always understood that the purpose of having only one fog light instead of two is preventing drivers from the back of mistaking them for brake lights :wink:
Last edited by renier on Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Modifications”