Undertray Yes or No???

For all stuff related to modifying your car

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

ScottyHull
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane II 1.4L 04 plate

Undertray Yes or No???

Postby ScottyHull » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:47 pm

Hi,
I am going to service my car myself this week and was thinking about not putting the undertray back on the car as its a pain in the arse to take off and put back on.
Is this a good idea or should i put the undertray back on, does it help anything structurally or not and also does it protect anything from normal driving elements? :?: :?: :?:

Thanks for you help in advance.
Scott
Renault Megane II '04' (Silver)

mart1nn
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.5 dCi 106

Re: Undertray Yes or No???

Postby mart1nn » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:42 am

I would definitely fit it back ... Just imagine all the dirt that is going to get onto the engine. Besides that it might (although I doubt it) influence aerodynamics slightly but that's about it as far as I know.

marshey
Learner Driver

Postby marshey » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:37 am

Ive been driving mine for about 2 years without one on and its been fine.

I found the undertrays make it harder to tell if you got an oil leak as it collects on there and not the floor.
also if your working under the bonnet and you drop a bolt you have to then take the undertray off to get bolt.

MilosB
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: R. Megane 2 1.9dci sport package

Postby MilosB » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:57 pm

mart1nn wrote:I would definitely fit it back ... Just imagine all the dirt that is going to get onto the engine. Besides that it might (although I doubt it) influence aerodynamics slightly but that's about it as far as I know.

+2

there is an undertray for a reason, not only to make the car more expensive... and it is held by 9 bolt (or less)
Renault Megane II 1.9dci sport p. 3dr. lowered on koni's,and exhausting through sebring

ScottyHull

Postby ScottyHull » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:57 pm

I am not fussed about aerodynamics to that slight extent. I don't seem to catch the tops of speed bumps (should I say speed mountains in my case where I live) while it's removed so I think I won't put it back on until I sell it. Thanks for the advice guys.

dcikev
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: 1.6vvt coupe, 1.9dci scenic

Postby dcikev » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:36 pm

not had mine on for two years and no problems. good for quick access & no probs with increased mpg!

ScottyHull

Postby ScottyHull » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:05 pm

It's just so much easier without it on. Don't have to take it off the bumper when you need to change bulbs/ oil and filter changes etc. :cool:

DK-brun
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault Mégane II Tourer, Dynamique 2,0 16v

Postby DK-brun » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:00 pm

ScottyHull wrote:It's just so much easier without it on. Don't have to take it off the bumper when you need to change bulbs/ oil and filter changes etc. :cool:

You don't have to remove the entire undertray from your bumper when removing from the car when you should change your bulbs ;) Besides there are only 3 10mm bolts underneath, and you do not even spend one minute removing them.

The undertray is there for a reason, and it is not for annoying the owners of the cars ;)
Kasper Brun
Renault Mégane II Tourer, Dynamique 2,0 16v

ScottyHull

Postby ScottyHull » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:21 pm

If it's there for a reason what is it besides aerodynamics?

MilosB
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: R. Megane 2 1.9dci sport package

Postby MilosB » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:02 pm

1- if you hit something underneath and you hear it it is hitting your undertray, it will warn you that you are close to your engine, / no undertray, the first thing it will hit is your oil pan,
2- lot of times the air/tires will pick dirt, rocks, water... and will "push" it in your engine bay.
have you noticed when you hit a water how it sprays away , it sprays in both direction (to both sides of each tire) I prefer my engine not being washed by that water.
etc etc....
oh yea, the undertray actually increases the cooling of the engine/radiator then without it.
Renault Megane II 1.9dci sport p. 3dr. lowered on koni's,and exhausting through sebring

ScottyHull

Postby ScottyHull » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:59 pm

Thanks for all the info guys. I'll leave it off until next time I service the car.

Return to “Modifications”