For all stuff related to modifying your car

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

seandbailey
Currently Drives:: 54 plate Bmw e46 m3 convertible
05 plate Renault megane 1.9d privilege

cruise control steering wheel off ebay

Postby seandbailey » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:16 am

Hi all
New to the forums and first time Renault owner.
I always find joining a good owners forum for excellent advice and ideas when buying a new car.

I bought a 05 plate 1.9dci privilege a couple of weeks ago and was really impressed with all its bells and whistles that it came with.
I know after a bit of digging around that Renaults are known to have shoddy electrics and the head lights are a wh0re to change.
But (touch wood) I think this cars pretty solid(he says).
The one main drawback when buying the car that annoyed me was the fact it lacked cruise control. It has so many options yet this would have seem to be standard above the leather seats.

So here's my question...
I have seen the home made cruise control options on the forum here, but wondered if I were to replace the steering wheel with one off eBay that has the cruise control paddles, how easy would that be to wire up into the system and keep the audio controls on the steering column?
Would I have to still do a lot of wiring or would it be easier that all the soldering that you'd need to do with TNG home option o have read about?
If anyone has done this previously then please link the post or drop me some advice.

Many thanks, Sean.

Also, the car does have carminat sat nav built in but I was looking to replace that with a Bluetooth (for audio transfer and phone calls) and better or updated sat nav of anyone has much info on that too :wink:

MilosB
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: R. Megane 2 1.9dci sport package

Re: cruise control steering wheel off ebay

Postby MilosB » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:00 pm

you dont need any soldering , only connect the CC wires . also no soldering, than go to renault dealer and activate it.
Renault Megane II 1.9dci sport p. 3dr. lowered on koni's,and exhausting through sebring

joeishmather
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: 57 megane with roof, engine, wheels, doors... All the usual things.

Postby joeishmather » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:53 am

If you follow through the post where I have written the guide you'll see this.

Not so rough anymore tho, bought the airbag compatible with cruise control and the buttons and now it looks like this..Image
Well please with it! :-)

I think its page 4 and you'll see I have written a quick guide as to how to fit the buttons as you are very lucky if you have the plugs coming through the steering column to simply plug into.

let me know if you have any questions, good luck!

seandbailey

Postby seandbailey » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:57 am

Thanks for the replies guys. I did try to delve into the depths of the forum before posting as I know it's frustrating seeing spammed posts frequently.
That is one thing I didn't check before ordering the steering wheel, of it had the Lego box to plug it all back into.
It's a 05 model privilege so not sure if that would come with all the bells and whistles tucked in behind, thinking that it's the top of the line and preempting people to get the cc upgrade.
I'll get hold of the car Thursday and pull the column casing off.
Fingers crossed! :D

seandbailey

Postby seandbailey » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:03 pm

Hi again. I had a look behind the light thing and couldn't see the site Lego clip. Where could it be? I can't upload the photos as don't see the link to do it. Also where do I stand with the steering wheel with controls if I don't have the Lego brick connection? Thanks

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Postby Stranger » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:27 pm

For uploading pictures see this post from announcements:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22798
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

seandbailey

Postby seandbailey » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:04 pm

Thanks for letting me know about the photos. I'll get them up once I get on my computer.
Joe, or anyone got that matter, if I do not have that Lego part under the dash, would the steering when replacement with one that already had the controls still work by just connecting the ribbon cable under the airbag, or is it totally not connected at all?
Or am I led to believe the Lego part was just an optionally on/off button?
Thanks a lot. Must be annoying this seller on eBay now was he is still waiting payment for the one I was supposed to buy, yet if it won't work I'll cancel the order.

joeishmather
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: 57 megane with roof, engine, wheels, doors... All the usual things.

Postby joeishmather » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:27 pm

I dont know what you are referring to the as lego part, if you can post a link to the image it would be great and I can advise you further :-)

seandbailey

Postby seandbailey » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:38 am

Hi. Sorry I was referring to your post on your how to page. The first picture under the light switch which pops out I believe has the white connection which I was led to believe you just connect and then wire up your home made cc.
But as mine does not have the white connection "Lego"style connector under the dash/steering column I was hoping that just the straight change of the steering wheels from my current (non) cc to my bought steering wheel which has the cc already on it would still work.
Or as I can not see the connections under the dash means the conversion is impossible.
I'll get the pictures up today off under my dash and the lack of bits which were on yours... Thanks.

freelanderuk
Rally Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane convertible 1.9dci 2006

Postby freelanderuk » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:42 am

the white connector behind the light level switch connects to a cruise control /speed limiter switch , if you don't have this connector you can not install cruise control
Drive it like you stole it

My flickr

joeishmather
F1 Driver

Postby joeishmather » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:52 pm

As above, the connector is essential for the modification. Sorry.

Thanks

seandbailey

Postby seandbailey » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:14 pm

OK thanks so much. I emailed the guy off what and cancelled the order so fingers crossed he is OK with that.
Just seems so odd most cars can do the retrofit of cc yet some can't. The car I bought has so many options on it I would have thought cc come as standard, but it's not to be.
Now as the car has not been serviced since June 2011 I just hope it goes through ok. I'm going to start another post regarding that... But as this is cleared up I thank you all for your valuable input. :rock

Return to “Modifications”