egr valve blank?.. help! :-)

For all stuff related to modifying your car

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

joeishmather
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: 57 megane with roof, engine, wheels, doors... All the usual things.

egr valve blank?.. help! :-)

Postby joeishmather » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:23 pm

I have just had my egr valve out, 1.5 dci 86bhp megane 57 plate, 66000 miles and this is the 3rd time I've done it. Its lovely after its done however very rapidly needs cleaning again. This has made me look into blanking off the valve and I am just wondering if this is something anyone on here has done?
Currently all the info I can find has lead me to think its a good thing to do with little to no negatives.
Any help/advice and personal experience will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

joeishmather
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: 57 megane with roof, engine, wheels, doors... All the usual things.

Re: egr valve blank?.. help! :-)

Postby joeishmather » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:26 pm

So after more reading up on this I disconnected the plug from the egr valve and took it for a spin.
The car feels so much better now, it pulls all the way through the revs. It starts better and sounds better too.
So far all seems well, no lights on the dashboard literally no negatives at this point.
I am wondering tho if I am correct in my thinking that by removing the plug from the egr valve when the engine is off means that the valve stays closed and no exhaust gasses are allowed to pass. Is this correct and if so are there any negatives I should be looking out for?
Thanks

marshey
Learner Driver

Postby marshey » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:56 pm

Ive been wanting to blank mine for ages, im getting sick and tired of cleaning the egr valve.

Let me know how it goes i might try blanking mine soon if theres no light that comes on.

All the information i have read about blanking them is reguarding the vw pd engine and its all positives doing it on that engine so should be same on here.

joeishmather
F1 Driver

Postby joeishmather » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:09 am

Little update is that the car is now, although still driving better than ever, showing engine management light and bringing up 2 fault codes relating to egr and emissions. So currently im putting up with the lights but im still exploring various solutions. It seems like there is alot of advice over on some of the french sites which is great but I dont read French! Anyhow I shall keep you updated with my progress.

marshey
Learner Driver

Postby marshey » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:08 pm

By just unplugging the egr valve wont that mean that it will be constantly open or is it shut by default?

I read on some site saying just take it out and put a 40mm pipe with sealed ends and it will block up the holes.

joeishmather
F1 Driver

Postby joeishmather » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:52 pm

Constantly closed, unless im mistaken, if it was open it was driving very well considering! But no im pretty sure its in the closed position and doesn't allow the gasses to pass..

Im having a blanking plate made, once I have it fitted I will ppst a how to, so long as it all goes well!

joeishmather
F1 Driver

Postby joeishmather » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:32 am

I have received my blanking plate and have it fitted, see photos below.

It simply fits between the exhaust feed to the egr and the egr cooling tube, took about 15 min and the cars running fantastic, no warning lights etc. i have just had only 2 runs in it so will update with mpg findings after its had a good drive.

so really for anyone else looking to do this if you have this blanking plate its as easy as pie!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gultiu5vqhr5s ... .29.07.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kyqj0kccc5oki ... .21.15.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/98fr2uiy4meq2 ... .35.32.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o4uu0tyxije0d ... .35.35.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a0otxx2796deq ... .09.11.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k8d4e7rih03n3 ... .29.09.jpg
think the photos aren't the best but they basically show the tube i removed to ease access, the blanking plate and the cooling tube with exhaust feed (really rusty cast piece) locations, as well as the egr valve location.

hope this is of use to you guys.

freelanderuk
Rally Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane convertible 1.9dci 2006

Postby freelanderuk » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:17 am

Where and how much for the blanking plate please
Drive it like you stole it

My flickr

joeishmather
F1 Driver

Postby joeishmather » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:50 pm

I had it made by a friend, it was laser cut when he was doing another job.
I can ask if he can do another, probably better if there were a few people wanting them so it could go through as a proper job rather than cutting it from leftover on another job if you know what I mean.

freelanderuk
Rally Driver

Postby freelanderuk » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:24 pm

thanks for the reply , i would be interested in one , see if you can get a few more people interested, hows the car running with out the erg now

My flickr

marshey
Learner Driver

Postby marshey » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:10 am

The 1.5dci egr setup looks very different from the 1.9dci

im just going to cut off and block that little pipe from exhaust manifold that goes up into inlet manifold

freelanderuk
Rally Driver

Postby freelanderuk » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:17 am

good point , i have a 1.9dci

My flickr

joeishmather
F1 Driver

Postby joeishmather » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:51 pm

He has said £15 a plate delivered. To be sure of fitting you can make paper template and either scan and email it with a dimension or post it so that it can be custom for each of your vehicles. Thanks

steve-t
Advanced Driver

Postby steve-t » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:26 pm

Not to be a downer on EGR removal but it now will not pass the MOT
https://money.aol.co.uk/2014/03/12/chang ... d=webmail2
Steve

marshey
Learner Driver

Postby marshey » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:19 pm

That says about dpf and not egr so should be fine.

Can always leave egr in and just unplug it so it is still physically there but just not working.

Return to “Modifications”