MEGΛNE Expression Grand Tour/Grandtour/Estate/Tourer 1.6 automat - 2005
sorry for my poor english
Image (Image)

The Negotiator
Learner Driver

Re:

Postby The Negotiator » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:07 pm

kmarty wrote:Hi,
my Megane was bought without cruise control.
I did cruise control in accordance to spanish site (shown above) and it works :-). Only what you need is one switch (cruise control/0/speed limiter), four buttons (+,-,recall and 0) and three resistors (100ohm, 270ohm and 900ohm(82ohm+820ohm respectivelly) - values taken from Dialogys):
For buttons, I used remote control for radio (mounted on second side of steering pillar).
For showing CC on board computer I had go on Renault service and they enable it through diagnostic SW. Without it, CC works though, but you don't see any state of CC.
Now I have fully functional cruise control retrofitted:
Positions of remote controls for compare:
ImageImage

I am considering going down the same route as you - bit worried about wiring up the remote control! - but, how does the remote attach to the steering colum, does the plastic have to be cut to allow it?

Thanks
Paul
Was: '52 Megane 1.9dci dynamique with everything standard plus: electrically folding mirrors, handsfree locking, climate control, heated seats, panoramic glass roof, in-dash CD changer, TunePoint iPod, etc. etc.
Now: '55 Laguna Initiale

simeon

Re: Cruise Control

Postby simeon » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:46 pm

I don’t have prepared wires, did any one tray to put wires from main computer to switch? :roll:

kmarty
Learner Driver

Re: Re:

Postby kmarty » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:36 pm

The Negotiator wrote:I am considering going down the same route as you - bit worried about wiring up the remote control! - but, how does the remote attach to the steering colum, does the plastic have to be cut to allow it?

Thanks
Paul
Uhm ... I probably have problem to understand you. Sorry, my fault.
In plastic on the steering column I cut out a hole to attach remote control. But attaching remote control is still not easy. Inside plastic is column with screw holding top and bottom parts of plastic which make installing of remote control a little bit harder. itself remote control holding on adhesive double coated tape (a few layers).
I think "my" version is not one of the best.

Image (Image)

The Negotiator
Learner Driver

Re: Re:

Postby The Negotiator » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:23 am

kmarty wrote:
The Negotiator wrote:I am considering going down the same route as you - bit worried about wiring up the remote control! - but, how does the remote attach to the steering colum, does the plastic have to be cut to allow it?

Thanks
Paul
Uhm ... I probably have problem to understand you. Sorry, my fault.
In plastic on the steering column I cut out a hole to attach remote control. But attaching remote control is still not easy. Inside plastic is column with screw holding top and bottom parts of plastic which make installing of remote control a little bit harder. itself remote control holding on adhesive double coated tape (a few layers).
I think "my" version is not one of the best.

Your answer matches the question I tried to ask, thank you :)

Not so sure I want to cut the plastic so looks like I should make and put the switches elsewhere then!

Thanks
Paul
Was: '52 Megane 1.9dci dynamique with everything standard plus: electrically folding mirrors, handsfree locking, climate control, heated seats, panoramic glass roof, in-dash CD changer, TunePoint iPod, etc. etc.

The Negotiator
Learner Driver

Postby The Negotiator » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:47 pm

Based on people's help so far I have ordered the new switch panel, blank and CC/SL switch.

Now, I just can't pick between getting a secondary remote or getting a bank of switches like:

https://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/level5/modul ... 341291.xml

Any thoughts?

Paul

bobsimes
Currently Drives:: megane cc 1.6

Postby bobsimes » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:41 pm

WHAT A GREAT POST!!
i would say ther single best mod anyone can do for their CC

i have a uk car and found all the wiring in the places given in this post.

i got the three parts from renault total cost £21

Needed parts:
82 00 079 020 - Plastic bonnet (switch holder)
82 00 193 673 - blanking pla dont have traction control ect
82 00 107 841 - Cruise/limiter switch

i used the radio remote control which i was not using (aftermarket head unit used) and did the mod recomended at the foot of page one of this post (see pics)
the only change is that the resistors for + and - were in the wrong place just swap the 270 ohm and 100 ohm over if you are using the original steerign remote and not adding a second remote (ps scrap yard is the place to obtain one there are loads about).

i used the following resistors bought individually from maplin over the counter

18 p each

270 ohm for - button
100 ohm for + button
910 ohm for recall button (mute button on steering remote.) whe tested with ohm meter turned out to be 903 ohm ideal!!

you will need a dremel small drill to drill the required holes marked in green in the remote as per the pictures mentioned at the bottom of page one of this post and a soldering iron.

to get to the wires remove both cowlings from around the steering wheel see the other pictures in previous posts

i found removing the steering remote was impossible without removing the streering wheel so i didnt want to remove it and found another way.
remove airbag and horn unit usig scred driver poked through hole at back of steerign wheel, drill small hole through back of plastic steering wheel so you can insert torx screwdriver to undo screw holding steering remote in.

after re assembly i tested it and all worked well apart from the instrument panel needs reconfiguring by renault to show the cruise contol lights and speed ect in the information panel between the spedo and rev counter.

now for the bad bit.

the re configuring of the instrument panel will need to be done by renault, they willcharge for 1 hours diagnostic work @ £85.

i know !! a joke but hey it works perfectly now and for £100 ish i have cruise control which would have cost £250 as an extra when the car was new and on longer trips will save you fuel.

you can use it without having to have the visit to the dealers but you just wont have the display functions all cruise/limiter buttons work and this would just cost you the price of the parts plus a second remote if you get one, as i said i used the original also the speed limiter works perfectly too.

hope this helps

simon

kmarty
Learner Driver

Postby kmarty » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:19 pm

bobsimes wrote:WHAT A GREAT POST!!
i would say ther single best mod anyone can do for their CC
hope this helps
Thank you. It helps surely better than my guide in "Czenglish" :-).

Image (Image)

John_Hansen

Postby John_Hansen » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:34 am

Hi I've been thinking how to make this simpler and really you could do this by buying the Renault CC/SL switch and then have simply one momentary action push button that is the + switch and a 270 ohm resistor.

How so I hear you all asking. Well touching the brake or clutch disengages the CC and switching the CC/SL switch off completely disables it. The "-" only slows your set speed down and in my opinion is too rapid in action to be useful. R is recall so you might consider this as a second switch. Anyway that is what I've found in using it now for 6 months.

So that will be a lot more discrete than 4 switches and you could mount the switch in a more ergonomic position such as beneath the plastic steering column surround.

If you can't find the wires in this connector beneath the steering wheel then you probably do not have CC/SL capability.

https://www.forocoches.com/galeria/data/ ... ocidad.jpg

On some other points
1) If you have the speed limiting working then and not cc it must be a fault either the switch or the cars wiring.
2) BMW and Mazda CC do not display the set speed so it isn't essential to pay Renault £85 for what is 30 seconds work changing a parameter on the cars computer. I have considered buying the tool.

My twopenneth for what it's worth.

Have fun

John

bobsimes
Currently Drives:: megane cc 1.6

Postby bobsimes » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:00 pm

Re the last post,

I agree the cruise control works fine without the display being turned on by renault @ £85 but i just wanted it all working as the factory intended it to, now the lights show to indicate operation of either the limiter or cruise control and in the display where the trip counter is it now displays the speed set in mph and saved speed or limit speed.
the only thing i found when the display was not working prior to me getting it turned on is that if you hold the + key for too long to increase the speed you dont know what speed it has set and the car goes shooting off accelerating and could be dangerous that is one of the reasons i got the display turned on.

either way it works fine!! best mod i have done on the car to date.

simon.

wanda
F1 Driver

Postby wanda » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:03 am

I must say cruise control is the best thing invented. Makes journeys similar to a seat in front of a TV :D

dudemark0

Postby dudemark0 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:09 pm

After reading john's post regarding the use of a single switch to set the speed of the cruise control, would it be possible to use the esp switch in its existing location next to the cc switch to set the desired speed.

John_Hansen

Postby John_Hansen » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:50 pm

I guess you could as it is a momentary type switch. But it is in the most inconvenient place imho. You really need something that is easy to get to and preferably in line of site.

Cheers

John

dry_flood
Learner Driver

Postby dry_flood » Mon May 05, 2008 3:37 pm

Would it be possible to swap the steering wheel with one that already has the CC buttons on it? I dont know what model Megane has these controls fitted but you must be able to pick one up from a scrappers?

Gaz

dry_flood
Learner Driver

Postby dry_flood » Wed May 21, 2008 7:37 pm

Once I have soldered together the buttons what do i connect the 2 wires to?

Do I have to cut these wires and join them to my 2 wires from the 4 switches?

Return to “Modifications”