Dash LED change

For all stuff related to modifying your car

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

mentholboy
Currently Drives:: Megane ||

Dash LED change

Postby mentholboy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:39 pm

Hey guys, been changing the LEDS in the dash and I thought I'd see what you guys think and be of any help to anyone who was thinking of doing it themselves! :D

It's not finished yet and one of the lights in the clock seems to have gone out so I'll need to sort that out, but yeah this is what I've got so far.

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Re: Dash LED change

Postby Stranger » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:12 pm

Like 8-)
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

Ldthomas
Currently Drives:: 2007 Renault Megane 1.5 DCI

Postby Ldthomas » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:34 am

I think you should chuck up a guide on how to do this! Looks awesome fairplay. :D
1.5 Dci 106bhp (57 Plate)
White L.E.D Side, Interior and Number Plate Lights
Upgraded CD Player, Front speakers, 6x9's, 1200w Sub and Amp.
K&N Air Filter
5000k H.I.D headlights

mentholboy

Postby mentholboy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:28 pm

Well I made a quick vid on how I was doing the dash here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rPNvgf4iGg&feature=youtu.be

And this is what does what on the pcb

To be honest, I was using a general 40w soldering iron and I have the shakiest hands in the world (not helped by the amount of coffee I drank :D ) and it wasn't very hard! You just have to be careful to not get the solder on anything when you 'float' the old LED off, which is why i put some tape around it. Bear in mind if you get the old LED off like I did, it'll probably ruin the old LED, not that should matter anymore lol. Take note of the polarity of the LEDs as well, I forgot to take a pic of that, but if you look close at the ones on there, you can see one side has some green markings on it, I think that was the anode, but I'd use a multimeter's continuity tester on it to double check. If you are going to do the dials as well be extra careful when floating it off, it is right next to the needle which has a plastic surround on it. I used a flat head screwdriver to cover the plastic while I did it and it worked fine. Oh, if you float the led off and there's too much solder left on the pad, use a solder sucker to remove some.

When taking the thing apart be very careful when you take the needles off and put them back exactly where you found them, otherwise the dials will be incorrect when you turn the engine on. I used a small fork to get them off.

If you do the dials as well you will have to paint them. I used a small razor blade and gentle scraped the old paint off, then used a cotton bud and some blue acrylic paint from model zone, job done.

Thats all i have for now, I'll take some pics of the other stuff when I get the chance, but any questions feel free to ask! The LEDs you need for the speedo are 1206 SMD. I always get mine from http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1206-Surface-Mount-LEDs-Premium-Quality-SMD-SMT-LEDs-/281087348073?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&var=&hash=item8716014f52 super fast delivery and good quality. You need 10 for the back light, 6 for the needles and 12 for the LCD.

MartyW
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane CC 1.6 VVT in Ottoman Blue

Postby MartyW » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:16 am

Hi i am more interested how you managed to get the clock sorted.

When i changed the leds n the clock to all blue and put in a blue filter you could not see the numbers, i had to put the orange filter back in and now i have a blue background with orange numbers.

Ldthomas
Currently Drives:: 2007 Renault Megane 1.5 DCI

Postby Ldthomas » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:06 pm

The white background is from 2006 upwards megs i think. Older oner had the orange dash. Hope that helps?
1.5 Dci 106bhp (57 Plate)
White L.E.D Side, Interior and Number Plate Lights
Upgraded CD Player, Front speakers, 6x9's, 1200w Sub and Amp.
K&N Air Filter
5000k H.I.D headlights

mentholboy

Postby mentholboy » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:33 pm

Try a white filter, I just made one out of some thick paper

brackers92
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.9dci

Postby brackers92 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:46 pm

Hi trying to do this to my car but was wondering if you could tell me what type of led are need at each part. Cheers. :)

wanda
F1 Driver

Postby wanda » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:02 pm

How do you do soldering on the window buttons?

CristianoMT
Currently Drives:: Megane mk2 Saloon 15DCI Phase 2 2007

Postby CristianoMT » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:45 pm

mentholboy wrote:Hey guys, been changing the LEDS in the dash and I thought I'd see what you guys think and be of any help to anyone who was thinking of doing it themselves! :D

It's not finished yet and one of the lights in the clock seems to have gone out so I'll need to sort that out, but yeah this is what I've got so far.

What LED'S are used for the Center Console? Were you have the Fan and Start button's ect?

Viljami323
Currently Drives:: Renault megane hatchback 2003

Postby Viljami323 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:28 pm

Wow this is so amazing!! I love this awesome work man

Colsta
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane Convertible 1.6 Dynamique

Postby Colsta » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:57 pm

mentholboy wrote:Hey guys, been changing the LEDS in the dash and I thought I'd see what you guys think and be of any help to anyone who was thinking of doing it themselves! :D

Massive Kudos points and a hefty pat on the back mate!! Was contemplating this... but car is red n orange with orange dials.... kinda suits as is but maybe playing with the filter on gauges as outcome is awsome!!

bod94
Currently Drives:: Renault megane II 1.6 petrol 2005
Fiat punto active 1.2 petrol 2005

Postby bod94 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:28 am

Hi I'm wondering what LEDs are used on the centre console and also how you managed to get to the led for the mirror nob?

Rahmat

Postby Rahmat » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:25 pm

Hi The great man!
Tnx for everything.
As a matter fact I had a megan 2 and I wanna change led in odometer but I don't know exactly which type of Led need? Is it ok if I but the bigger Led some how like flasher?
U know which sizes has them?

Return to “Modifications”