Coilovers, wheels, stance

For all stuff related to modifying your car

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

almcgrail
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: Megane II tourer 130

Coilovers, wheels, stance

Postby almcgrail » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:57 pm

Hi there, i bought an 06 reg sport tourer 1.9dci towards the end of last year.
Quite impressed with it so far, however i'm hoping to do a few mods; lowering, alloys, 225 bumper (really wanted r26 front but couldn't justify the cost!).

First question is has anyone fitted JOM blueline coilovers? how do they ride? I've heard you get what you pay for with coilovers but this aint a track car, i just want the option of changing the ride height depending on how i feel.

Secondly can anyone give me advice on wheel fittment? Going for 18s due to tyre price on 19s. What width and/or size spacers would suit the arches best?
Alternativley I might go for mercedes classic amg style rims with adapters purely for something different. Trouble is not sure if this is the easy option as the wheels are 8.5j and offset is 35, Again what spacer adapters would be needed?

If anyone has done similar mods it would be good to know. Any advice would greatly be appreciated and photos would be a bonus.

Anthony
Rally Driver
Currently Drives:: 2005 Renault Megane 1.5 dci 100

Re: Coilovers, wheels, stance

Postby Anthony » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:10 pm

2005 1.5dci 100 Sport Hatch -Gone!

Anthony
Rally Driver

Postby Anthony » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:03 pm

no no no no! no JOMs for me! It's on V-Maxx, just giving the guy an idea of what stance you can achieve with the right coily/wheel/spacer combination :D

Anthony
Rally Driver

Postby Anthony » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:05 pm

Tis my old car now anyway :| My bro owns it. I currently have an 05 Corolla T Sport :devil

marshey
Learner Driver

Postby marshey » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:19 pm

I've just fitted jom coilovers to my megane, won't know how it rides until tomorrow and i'll show you some pics how it looks aswel.

almcgrail
Pass Plus

Postby almcgrail » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:58 pm

Cheers for the replies so far.
Anthony, that stance looks spot on really for my needs. Am i right in thinking your (old) coilovers are down to 70mm? Lovin the spacers, 20mm looks sound.
Marshey, cant wait to hear about the Joms, let us know what you wind them down to.

Anthony
Rally Driver

Postby Anthony » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:54 pm

Yeah must of been released recently those JOMs, wern't available when I was looking either.

Yes they are wound all the way down, which V-Maxx claim to be -70mm.

A word of warning, the ride with those JOMs will be horrendous! lol. But we all know that's not what coilovers are about! ;)

Eddie i'm loving the rolla, practically double the revs to play with. It's damn good fun this car! :rock

marshey
Learner Driver

Postby marshey » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:35 am

Been out for a drive with the JOM coilovers on wound all the way to bottom on front and back ive got standard 16" alloys and there a 1-2inch arch gap at front and rear tyre is tucked inside arch a bit. Car goes over all speed bumps fine no scrapping or anything yet and the ride isn't that bumpy you can only really notice it over speed bumps and pot holes. It drives 100 times better to standard sharper turning and alot less body roll on corners.

Anthony
Rally Driver

Postby Anthony » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:42 am

marshey wrote:Been out for a drive with the JOM coilovers on wound all the way to bottom on front and back ive got standard 16" alloys and there a 1-2inch arch gap at front and rear tyre is tucked inside arch a bit. Car goes over all speed bumps fine no scrapping or anything yet and the ride isn't that bumpy you can only really notice it over speed bumps and pot holes. It drives 100 times better to standard sharper turning and alot less body roll on corners.

Yes Sorry I was relating the ride to what it would be like with an 18" wheel set up. On standard wheels and tyres it will be fine because of the mahooosive sidewalls providing some comfort.

almcgrail
Pass Plus

Postby almcgrail » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:50 pm

Good to hear about the JOMs, i suppose the real test will come with long term usage. I'm on a limited budget with my car so i may have to get some instead of other brands, plus when they're wound up it says they are 30mm drop so should be sound when we go on family holidays and that.

Anyway, been to sort out stage 1 of my modding today, 225 bumper. Got a good price from dealer on phone so went down to buy one but missed half 12 hometime for people on parts desk so I'll have to order Monday now and hope price doesn't go up over weekend as that would be just my luck!

As soon as thats out of the way i can get onto the wheels, trouble is all the ones i like are 5 stud, hence the question about spacers/adapters and that.

almcgrail
Pass Plus

Postby almcgrail » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:21 am

Cheers for that Eddie. I spoke to him other day and 225 bumper kit has gone up from £330 to £560 in past few days so asked if they could honour old price and he said no its out of his hands. Just gotta hope my local dealer will stick to their price i was quoted Friday which was cheaper than parts direct anyway.

joeishmather
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: 57 megane with roof, engine, wheels, doors... All the usual things.

Postby joeishmather » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:30 am

almcgrail wrote:Cheers for that Eddie. I spoke to him other day and 225 bumper kit has gone up from £330 to £560 in past few days so asked if they could honour old price and he said no its out of his hands. Just gotta hope my local dealer will stick to their price i was quoted Friday which was cheaper than parts direct anyway.

I have to say I've never had anything from rpd as my local dealer has always been considerably cheaper..

Anyone have a link to these Jom coilovers?

Return to “Modifications”