How to retrofit cruise control, step by step..

For all stuff related to modifying your car

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

joeishmather
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: 57 megane with roof, engine, wheels, doors... All the usual things.

Re: How to retrofit cruise control, step by step..

Postby joeishmather » Mon May 30, 2011 1:39 pm

sorry, here is a quick how to, so you remove the airbag and steering wheel,

after this you remove the cover which encloses the slip-ring, which is actually a ribbon wire, you need to tap into this ribbon wire there are 2 unused wires within it... so you connect each wire from the buttons to this, this is tricky, you have to be good at soldering here else it'll ruin the wire..

ok so now you have the buttons connected at the side of the ribbon wire which appears in the steering wheel behind the airbag.

(the buttons that you will have bought screw in and it is obvious here once you remove the airbag.

now you take the feed from under the steering column as in the original how to, then you connect each of the 2 wires to the other end of the ribbon wire, if you follow the ribbon wire into the steering column you will see a connector and plug, the plug is the end of the ribbon wire, it is easiest to attach the 2 wires here..

and thats it job done, :-)

i hope that helps, im sure you will have additional questions, but the basic principal is that you need to tap into the two unused wires within the ribbbon wire, adding the wires from under the steering column to one end and the wires from the buttons at the other, in the steering wheel..

it will become clearer when you start to get things apart... like ive said tho, just ask any questions, its hard to write a how to as i didnt take any photos of this process as i just wanted it done quick didnt want to faf about with the camera.

:cool:

Morph3R
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.6 16V Lux Dinamique LPG Converted

Postby Morph3R » Mon May 30, 2011 7:35 pm

OK, one question. Is this workout with this ribbon wire mandatory? Can we replace this slip ring with one that is made for steering wheel with CC and just plug in CC buttons? (e.g. buy it from Renault dealer of order it used from one of many Auto Salvage Yards ?)

Morph3R
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.6 16V Lux Dinamique LPG Converted

Postby Morph3R » Mon May 30, 2011 7:37 pm

(of = or)

p.s. is it possible to edit once posted messages in this forum?

joeishmather
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: 57 megane with roof, engine, wheels, doors... All the usual things.

Postby joeishmather » Mon May 30, 2011 7:39 pm

I'm not sure of this, I think it is easiest to modify the existing one... It's not difficult, if you can solder well! :-) and there is no additional cost in doing it this way.

jamesessexeade
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Magane 1.9 dCi 130 Privilege Coupe Cabriolet

Postby jamesessexeade » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:42 am

I reckon I might have to give this a bash :)
Get that roof down, and 63 mpg, happy days indeed :)

revvinkevin007
Currently Drives:: 2005 megane dci 120

Postby revvinkevin007 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:33 pm

I don't have the White plug behind the switch plate. What a bummer!! :( :( :(

l3ogroll
Currently Drives:: meggie 1.6 vvt

Postby l3ogroll » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:17 pm

yo guys got nearly everything to have a bash but getting a 900ohm resistor is like rocking horse poop!!! will a 820+82 in series do the trick?

joeishmather
F1 Driver

Postby joeishmather » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:35 am

Yes that should be fine!

Dan__UK_1984
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: 2002 1.5DCi 3Dr

Postby Dan__UK_1984 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:01 pm

Right, couple of issues whist trying this:

I bough a CC Steering wheel from a breakers. I disconnected the battery, swapped the buttons over no probs, there was a plug under the original airbag that the CC buttons fitted into nicely, this had black and red wires. As I say, the plug fitted in no problems at all. I then fitted the air bag, again no problems here.

However, upon reconnecting the battery etc the air bag light is now on. Is this normal? Also the Cruise Control doesnt work - Do I still need to solder in resistors etc, even though this plug under the air bag exists?

I'm going to re-fit my old airbag & remove the buttons to see if it is actually a faulty air bag.

Thanks,
Dan

Dan__UK_1984
Learner Driver

Postby Dan__UK_1984 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:19 pm

Update - the cruise DOES work. Just no light on the dash (that doesnt bother me)

But the air bag light is still on (it often does it if I move the seat, but in this instance I am 100% sure it's the air bag) So will go swap mine back over and make sure it goes away.

Dan__UK_1984
Learner Driver

Postby Dan__UK_1984 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:00 pm

Gotta love French electrics!

Swapped the air bag over, then back onto the new one and the light was off. Must have been an iffy connection.

So now all is up and running, really pleased that I didn't need to do any soldering or messing with the cables as everything was there already.

For my 2002 (52) Dynamique spec car the following was required to get Cruise Control:

Cruise Airbag & Buttons - I bought a whole steering wheel for £75 but just swapped the buttons and airbag.
Cruise Master Switch
Cruise Master Switch Panel - this is optional, I found on previous cars with CC I just left it on all the time, so I've fitted the switch and left it behind the original panel.

Worth noting that the light on the dash doesn't light up to tell you CC is active, but you'll know it's active because you will have just pressed a button!

Boomstyliemikey
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 1.9 130 , remapped, DPF removed, Panel filter, double din

Postby Boomstyliemikey » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:21 pm

Does anyone else car not have that white clip behind the headlight adjuster? Im Gutted!
1.9 dci dynamique, originally 130bhp. Remapped, DPF removed, Pipercross panel filter.viewtopic.php?f=13&t=17209

Dan__UK_1984
Learner Driver

Postby Dan__UK_1984 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:50 pm

Boomstyliemikey wrote:Does anyone else car not have that white clip behind the headlight adjuster? Im Gutted!

Have you had a good look with a torch and mirror? Or reached in there? Mine was taped to the black plug, but if it came loose it would dissapear into the dash... So maybe to you have it somewhere?

Boomstyliemikey
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 1.9 130 , remapped, DPF removed, Panel filter, double din

Postby Boomstyliemikey » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:48 pm

Had a look in there used a flash light but no luck felt everywhere it was possible to and cant find it. there is only one white plug right at the back but thats pugged in to something. My car car is pre face lift. Is urs the face lift version?
1.9 dci dynamique, originally 130bhp. Remapped, DPF removed, Pipercross panel filter.viewtopic.php?f=13&t=17209

Dan__UK_1984
Learner Driver

Postby Dan__UK_1984 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:02 pm

Boomstyliemikey wrote: My car car is pre face lift. Is urs the face lift version?

Nope, 2002.

Return to “Modifications”