Noob modding advice appreciated

For all stuff related to modifying your car

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Clone
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: 2006 Megane 1.5 DCi 106bhp. 18" ACE alloys, Pioneer DEH, Smoked rear lexus lights, Tinted rear windows, Climair wind deflectors, Remus sports cat, K&N panel filter.

Noob modding advice appreciated

Postby Clone » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:42 am

Hi guys, first post time so im hoping i dont sound too noobish... :mrgreen: Apologies also for the turd profile, pics and info will be added as soon as i get the chance.

Im looking a couple of pieces of advice, I decided to rope it all into a single thread as opposed to creating three or four new ones. Any help/advice is appreciated. Also im not lazy (well.. not too lazy...), i have looked up the forums on these topics and couldnt find the answers i was looking hence the thread.

Firstly I have a 2006 megane 1.5DCi 106bhp, so far i have an upgraded exhaust and air filter but i want to get a remap. As nooby as it sounds.. the more power the better :siffle: but i dont want to strain the engine as ive been told the 1.5 cannot be pushed to the same extent as for example the 1.9. What kind of gains realistically should i expect and would a tuning box do the job to the same extent?

Secondly i recently nabbed a spoiler off another megane and its being sprayed atm then fitted on friday. When talking to the bloke about it he was of the opinion that the spoiler, which is a standard renault sport one (off a vvt me thinks but not sure), doesnt replace the back roof panel but instead fits on top. Does this sound right as i was under the impression that it fully replaces the panel as it has the brake light and washer jets already fitted?

Lastly im finding putting new bulbs in the front headlamps an absolute nightmare to change. My fat hand does not quite make it the whole way through to the light. Any advice on how to remove the bulbs any other way short of taking it to a dealer?

Thanks for reading my lengthy first post and as said any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Grant
2006 Megane 1.5 DCi 106bhp. Pioneer DEH, Smoked rear lexus lights, Tinted rear windows, Climair wind deflectors, Remus sports cat, K&N panel filter.

joeishmather
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: 57 megane with roof, engine, wheels, doors... All the usual things.

Re: Noob modding advice appreciated

Postby joeishmather » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:15 am

Get a 1.9 lol, te spoiler does bolt onto the top of the original, a mate has removed his and has been left with holes where it used to be! And lastly with the bulbs don't take it to Renault they charge a fourtune, although halfords are generally crappy they will change your bulb for something like a fiver ontop of the price of the bulb, which is a he'll of alot less than Renault would charge!! Hope this helps

Clone
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: 2006 Megane 1.5 DCi 106bhp. 18" ACE alloys, Pioneer DEH, Smoked rear lexus lights, Tinted rear windows, Climair wind deflectors, Remus sports cat, K&N panel filter.

Postby Clone » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:24 am

Genius mate that helps a lot... cheers

I wanted a 1.9 but they are near impossible to find in northern ireland at a decent price and condition (i went to see a t least 10 of them). Also im only a wee 20years old and paying only £635 for tax and inurance on the 1.5, which would jump a good bit over a grand if i popped up to the 1.9. A friend owns a 1.9 and although the 1.9 revs out a bit longer and has a bit more pull i kept up fairly easily losing it upwards of 60mph. When remapped it should hopefully (i stress hopefully...) take on at least standard 1.9s. But we shall wait and sees.....

As for the spoiler your advice is priceless as im not sure the lad that was fitting was too sure either... and big holes in the roof is not quite what im aiming for :D

Thanks altho if anybody has their 106bhp remapped please let me know if its worth it.
2006 Megane 1.5 DCi 106bhp. Pioneer DEH, Smoked rear lexus lights, Tinted rear windows, Climair wind deflectors, Remus sports cat, K&N panel filter.

joeishmather
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: 57 megane with roof, engine, wheels, doors... All the usual things.

Postby joeishmather » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:03 am

the holes aren't huge, could be plugged if you were to remove it i guess..

i have the 1.5 love it, its so cheep to run all round, thats why i got it! im just 20 too.. have tried all sorts to increase performance but tbh i just feel its really not worth it, the gains are so small..

i did buy a tuning chip off ebay you just simply plug it in, it was less than £100 and you can take it off if there's an accident.. so you neednt tell ur insurance! that gave me the most noticeable gains for the money. it was a drake 2 tuning box from italy.

hope that helps ;-)

Clone
Just Passed

Postby Clone » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:28 pm

Once again mate cheers, is yours the 80bhp version?

Im still trying to decide between the tuning box or ecu... tuning box is cheaper over all but ive heard they are a huge hit and miss...

grosseberger
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: 3 door citrus green Megane II

Postby grosseberger » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:45 pm

ive just had my 80 bhp remapped by remap science in bradford they came to my house and charged me £200 its now at least 105 bhp now
54 1.5DCI Extreme remapped,JVC Head unit, Pioneer front Kenwood Rear Amp & 10" sub

Clone
Just Passed

Postby Clone » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:50 pm

Awesome dude, thats a 30% increase in bhp which is klas. Using that figure im hopefully lookng in and around 135bhp which will suit me down to a t.

I presume the difference before and after he remap is pretty noticeable? Do you know what kind of increase to your torque you had?

Cheers

stu sim
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: renault megane 2003 1.9 DCI

Postby stu sim » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:24 pm

about your headlight bulbs , dont take it to Halfords... They wont do meganes because they know how much of a nightmare job it is ! do what i done!!! jack your car up in their car park and remove your front wheels and do it yourself !! its still not easy but gives you a bit more room to position your arm and hand ! GOOD LUCK ! :banghead

joeishmather
F1 Driver

Postby joeishmather » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:33 am

halfords do do meganes, it where i go when i cba faffing about with mine.
i guess each halfords maybe different, but i dont see why they would be...

grosseberger
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: 3 door citrus green Megane II

Postby grosseberger » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:06 pm

Clone wrote:Awesome dude, thats a 30% increase in bhp which is klas. Using that figure im hopefully lookng in and around 135bhp which will suit me down to a t.

I presume the difference before and after he remap is pretty noticeable? Do you know what kind of increase to your torque you had?

Cheers

i think the torque went from 200 to 250 and yes its like driving a different car

the best bit is the pick up in fifth gear
54 1.5DCI Extreme remapped,JVC Head unit, Pioneer front Kenwood Rear Amp & 10" sub

MIstry_J
Currently Drives:: 2007 renault megane (1.5dci dynamique)

Postby MIstry_J » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:04 am

getting an ecu re-map was the best thing i did. it cost me around £300 with a dyno. test to check out the differnce before and after.

i have a 100bhp/106bhp 1.5dci (2007) megane the figures before were 175Nm of torque and 96bhp (on the dyno) and now it is at 225Nm of torque and 140bhp. it make huge differnce and the car pulls so mmuch better through the gears, especially cruising in 6th gear on the motor way, there is constant power :D

it's the best £300 i spent onthe car so far. also it has improved the mpg quite a bit as well even though i had it tunned for max power instead of an eco tune.

Jay

Clone
Just Passed

Postby Clone » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:35 pm

Thanks jay appreciate the reply.. thats pretty huge gains as far as im aware, youre talking a near 50% increase in bhp, but im defo not complaining esp if i come out the otherside of the remap with that sort of power. Remap is defo my next mod.

Have had the spoiler and the lights fitted, thanks for the help guys.

MIstry_J
Currently Drives:: 2007 renault megane (1.5dci dynamique)

Postby MIstry_J » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:14 pm

stu sim wrote:about your headlight bulbs , dont take it to Halfords... They wont do meganes because they know how much of a nightmare job it is ! do what i done!!! jack your car up in their car park and remove your front wheels and do it yourself !! its still not easy but gives you a bit more room to position your arm and hand ! GOOD LUCK ! :banghead

as far as headlight bulbs go. when i fitted my HID KIT i just removed the front bumper and took the head light modules out. it makes it so much easier LOL to be fair i was replacing the fog light bulbs too so you have to take the bumper off to do those.

hope that helps :D

Jay,

Return to “Modifications”