Suggestions 1.9dci 120 standard

For all stuff related to modifying your car

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

deebz
Currently Drives:: 54 MEGANE 1.9 DCI 120 - Standard

Suggestions 1.9dci 120 standard

Postby deebz » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:00 pm

so yeah my cars standard atm, i love it but im just getting a bit bored, i dno its just started to feel slower and slower its due for a service soon but i think i want to see if there are any options out there that i could gain some better performance any suggestions ?. and please dont tell me to get a new car lol would love a megane sport but insurance is funking stupid im 21 / 1 ncb / 1 claim just paid £950 for this year.

so yeah any suggestions people have let me know xD

Anthony
Rally Driver
Currently Drives:: 2005 Renault Megane 1.5 dci 100

Re: Suggestions 1.9dci 120 standard

Postby Anthony » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:19 pm

First of all get it serviced if it is due. Then your most cost effective options are either a remap or a tuning box. Have a search around the forum and google for more info on these.

Your insurance quote sounds pretty good from where I'm sitting. I'm 21, 1 years ncb, no claims and I pay around £1300 for a 1.5 dci. Car insurance for the OL9 postcode is a joke!
2005 1.5dci 100 Sport Hatch -Gone!

deebz

Postby deebz » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:22 pm

yeah mate that sucks, i put my sister on it (34 years old) and it dropped by like 2-£300. but they dont ask for no proof of who she is how to contact her etc so i mean i guess u dont really need a sister or someone to put on :)) i mean theres no chance my sister is driving my car!!! so i wouldnt even need to worry about her crashing.

also i did look at the tuning box things before i think roughly around 250 - £400 somewhere in the middle would be a safe guess ?? i'm really not a car person when it comes to the performance n stuff like that so any suggestions im based in the wolverhampton area if that makes any difference, i saw them tuning boxes on ebay but i'd rather pay for something quality and not some cheap rip off. believer in you get what you pay for (most of the time)

alllllsoooooo, does anyone know to a decent place to get some wheels i pretty much want matte / anthracite like the 225 but i believe they are 5 stud and the mine is 4 stud i have no idea why they are not all 5 / 4 stud but oh well

BlueMeganeII
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 03 Megane 3 door 2.0 VVT Dynamique - Sunroof, 17" Alloys, Keyless Entry and start
55 Grand Espace Initial, Xenons, Leather, Sunroof, Keyless, Sat Nav, Tyre Pressure sensors, 18" Alloys, Roof spoiler/bars.

Postby BlueMeganeII » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:51 am

At 21 I wouldn't be touching the engine. The insurance still goes up quite significantly for me at 28 with my wife on the car if I add any engine modifications. If you want the power get a 225 in a few years time, its cheaper than modifying your existing car.

R55VYS
Advanced Driver

Postby R55VYS » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:45 am

first off, ITG pannel filter, exhaust system, get the car breathing and releasing gases better, sports cat if you fancy spending that much, im running no backbox on my dci, exhaust place said it would be to loud and loose back pressure, i reakon its niether, but only a RR would prove any thing.

After you have all those bits sorted its onto remaps. theres is a place in leeds that is spot on for mapping megs RStuning, he write the programmes himself. you can go for the standard map which will take you to around 160ish, or if you want to get some more power your looking at putting a heavy duty clutch on and messing about with the injector sizings, i dont think that these massivly improve your BHP but Paul said he could tune the torque right up, so the car would be silly quick off the line. apparently eats clutches for breakfast with the standard setup, hence the heavy duty clutch. You could also look into a bigger turbo, or a reworked garret for some bigger gains also, but al that may involve messing about with the exhaust setup, ie larger dia bore exhaust pipe, not the tail pipe, the full exhaust system.

Better brakes and suspension would be a must with this setup also. some groved discs and fast road pads would do the job, drilled discs are a bit pap, suspension is a personal choice and totally depends on the roads you drive around, if you drive down kack b roads lots, id defos change your shocks at the same time as your springs, as they will get alot more wear as i have found out.

main thing you want to do is make sure the engine is kept running properly before you start upgrading.

renault say that you should change your oil every 10k or so, its more like 5k to prolong the life of your turbo, but its a very easy job as you will probs already know.

with all the mods stated above, i would of thought you would be looking at beating standard gt's and maybes keeping up with the RS DCIs

Anthony
Rally Driver

Postby Anthony » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:12 am

Ha what exhaust place did you go to? "Loose back pressure", like that's a bad thing! :lol: You want as little as possible.

deebz

Postby deebz » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:17 am

really helpful mate i just gotta find out what im doing now my mates a mechanic so i can get some help from him anyway but i just wanted advice from someone who actually owns one you know what i mean?. but yeah thats spot on and i will start having a look into things i dont want to do tooo much but some of the stuff you suggested sounds ideal. the exhaust + remap + clutch / lowered with upgraded brakes sounds ideal. ill have to start looking into it more now pricing n stuff. any suggestions on where to buy some of the stuff or is an ebay job for most of it (shocks,discs,pads) (exhaust/clutch i guess would be better from a proper performacnce / respected shop or something) and remap from where you said.

thanks for the help

R55VYS
Advanced Driver

Postby R55VYS » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:04 pm

Anthony wrote:Ha what exhaust place did you go to? "Loose back pressure", like that's a bad thing! :lol: You want as little as possible.

You do want back pressure, otherwise it will knack your engine and turbo as the gasses wont be exiting your car quick enough and just hanging in your exhaust, but my car didnt loose any i reakon, as it felt more responsive if anything, sits at 70mph doing less revs and more mpg. so im not complaining.

R55VYS
Advanced Driver

Postby R55VYS » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:24 pm

deebz wrote:any suggestions on where to buy some of the stuff or is an ebay job for most of it (shocks,discs,pads) (exhaust/clutch i guess would be better from a proper performacnce / respected shop or something) and remap from where you said.

thanks for the help

for most of the stuff id probably ask on here for reviews on stuff your after, ive got spax springs which i think arent bad, although you can tell its taken its toll on my standard shocks, ebaich are without a doubt better, but they only do -35mm springs where as spax are -45mm. go for coilover if your budget allows but they can be very ridgid, unless you get some decent ones that allow you to set the stiffness.

Searching Google is the best way ive found, discs i found some cheap ones on ebay, but beware your rear discs have brake sensors and wheel bearing built in, these are the ones i found for cheap on ebay for around 80sheets for grooved "brembo" ones.

the clutch i found alot harder to sorce when i was hunting years ago, i found a place in ireland "......... brothers" that sold one, they may be easier to find now as this was about 3-4yr ago when i was looking into doing this.

Exhaust i would go to a custom place, look on yell.com powerflow and exhaustsuk are the big names that will cost you more. still about 350 for a full system cat back, dependant on tail pipe style. a miltek stainless system for a 225 can be found cheap if you can get an exhaust place to make it fit your system, 1.9 2 bolts on cat, 225 has 3.

As i say google and forums are your friend when hunting for stuff.

deebz

Postby deebz » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:53 pm

ok mate cheers thanks for the help. ill start looking around and researching some stuff when im not at work. thanks for the help

Anthony
Rally Driver

Postby Anthony » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:59 pm

R55VYS wrote:
Anthony wrote:Ha what exhaust place did you go to? "Loose back pressure", like that's a bad thing! :lol: You want as little as possible.

You do want back pressure, otherwise it will knack your engine and turbo as the gasses wont be exiting your car quick enough and just hanging in your exhaust, but my car didnt loose any i reakon, as it felt more responsive if anything, sits at 70mph doing less revs and more mpg. so im not complaining.

Sorry but you don't want back pressure. The exhaust just has to be the correct diameter to stop the gasses slowing down/returning. Back pressure is created by tight bends, catalytic convertors, crappy silencers etc. It's all about gas flow, not the need for back pressure. Look at top fuel dragsters, do their exhausts have any back pressure at all?

R55VYS
Advanced Driver

Postby R55VYS » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:49 am

Anthony wrote:
R55VYS wrote:

Sorry but you don't want back pressure. The exhaust just has to be the correct diameter to stop the gasses slowing down/returning. Back pressure is created by tight bends, catalytic convertors, crappy silencers etc. It's all about gas flow, not the need for back pressure. Look at top fuel dragsters, do their exhausts have any back pressure at all?

Sorry but you DO want back pressure. To little back pressure causes your exhaust valves to burn out as more air will be drawn into the combustion chamber than before, and the engine will be running lean.

FACT

Im not saying that this is the case with my car, as i have only removed the back box which is mainly to reduce sound, and the full exhaust system has the same dia pipe as before. but all cars need back pressure, even something with a jet engine in.

Anthony
Rally Driver

Postby Anthony » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:02 am

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showth ... p?t=659727

Believe what you want but it is a myth. So long as the fuelling of the engine can be adjusted to suit the pipe there is no problem.

R55VYS
Advanced Driver

Postby R55VYS » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:15 am

Anthony wrote:https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=659727

Believe what you want but it is a myth. So long as the fuelling of the engine can be adjusted to suit the pipe there is no problem.

Totally different arguement that link, im not talking about back pressure relating to power, which is obviously apparent, it will knack your engine, fact, ive witnessed it on one of my old cars, do you really think that your chosen forum is 100% the law on exhaust emmisions, especially when its predominantly Yanks.

The internet is full of bollox, opinions and other shat that people believe to be true, its like the saying dont believe everything you read in the paper, same goes for the internet.

Anthony
Rally Driver

Postby Anthony » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:55 am

Whatever you say pal, you just carry on believing what you want. If you really want to learn about exhaust systems buy "Tuning the A-Series Engine" by David Vizard.

btw the topic is about power improvements, that is what we were chatting about.

Return to “Modifications”