Fridge

For all stuff related to modifying your car

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

joeishmather
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: 57 megane with roof, engine, wheels, doors... All the usual things.

Fridge

Postby joeishmather » Tue May 11, 2010 8:11 pm

anyone got fridge in their megane, im plannimg a holiday over to spain, poss italy and im anting a fridge for in my megane, its a 57 plate.... do renault do one especially??

cheers

downsyndromedhorse
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 3DR Black 1.9dci Megane 04 Plate 120 BHP

Re: Fridge

Postby downsyndromedhorse » Wed May 12, 2010 3:45 pm

Can't you just get a portable one and use the cigarette lighter for the power?
Never seen a genuine renault one?!
3DR Black 1.9dci Megane 04 Plate 160Bhp(ish) - K&N Panel Filter - Full HID Conversion - Pioneer TS-Q131C - Koni -35mm lowering Springs - JVC Head unit - EGR Blanked - Decat fitted

joeishmather
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: 57 megane with roof, engine, wheels, doors... All the usual things.

Postby joeishmather » Wed May 12, 2010 4:00 pm

yeah thats probably what im gona end up doing, was just wondering if there was one that would fit in place of the rmrest, something like that, something that could be left in all the time..

anyone know if this kind of thing exists, and if not anyone know a decent 12v portable??

Anthony
Rally Driver
Currently Drives:: 2005 Renault Megane 1.5 dci 100

Postby Anthony » Wed May 12, 2010 4:34 pm

Do you know that the glovebox is chilled?
2005 1.5dci 100 Sport Hatch -Gone!

BlueMeganeII
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 03 Megane 3 door 2.0 VVT Dynamique - Sunroof, 17" Alloys, Keyless Entry and start
55 Grand Espace Initial, Xenons, Leather, Sunroof, Keyless, Sat Nav, Tyre Pressure sensors, 18" Alloys, Roof spoiler/bars.

Postby BlueMeganeII » Wed May 12, 2010 4:44 pm

I've seen on that replaces the centre seat on the Scenic and one that sits on the centre seat. That may be your best option. Its an offical Renault one.

joeishmather
F1 Driver

Postby joeishmather » Wed May 12, 2010 4:46 pm

yeah, gets warm when its warmer weather tho, thinking of getting a cheap 12v fridge, thaking it appart and somehow fitting the cooling components into a megane armrest? dont suppose it'd fit all that much in tho!?

downsyndromedhorse
Pass Plus

Postby downsyndromedhorse » Fri May 14, 2010 8:24 am

I think you'd be doing a hell of a mod if you got that to work!

Just remember you'd need to insulate the armrest and create an air tight seal on the lid.
Not impossible, and i quite like the idea of this working!
3DR Black 1.9dci Megane 04 Plate 160Bhp(ish) - K&N Panel Filter - Full HID Conversion - Pioneer TS-Q131C - Koni -35mm lowering Springs - JVC Head unit - EGR Blanked - Decat fitted

joeishmather
F1 Driver

Postby joeishmather » Fri May 14, 2010 4:51 pm

im thinking it should be reasonably ok, i think the glove boxes are double skined anyway so maybe filling it with expanding foam or something. then i think the fan and cooling elements would be able to stuck in with it/ hole drilled to fit the fan ect. think i'll need the armrest and fridge components in front of me before im sure what im gona do..

someone offerd one up but havent heard back from them. hopefully getting that shortly tho, so i'll let you know how it goes!

downsyndromedhorse
Pass Plus

Postby downsyndromedhorse » Mon May 17, 2010 10:12 am

Do take some pics of this if you do, i think it would be awesome.
A fan on the back drilled through and the expanding foam should be fine.

You might want to find a way of insulating the actual lid of the arm rest, would let a fair amount of chilled air out of there and the cooling components would be working overtime.

You'll need to get the air tight seals like you get on Fridges and freezers around the edge of it. Thats not a big job at all.

Good luck :-).

joeishmather
F1 Driver

Postby joeishmather » Mon May 17, 2010 12:18 pm

im thinking seal most of it up with silicone, ie where the cooling components go in, then maybe some neoprene or maybe rubber, like round the car door seal, only smaler for the lid, think the lid maybe put some styrafoam for inslulation on the lid.. somehting like that, i think that would do the trick, dont want to encroach on any of the compartment space tho.

ive bought a centre console with armrest now, will be starting to do it on wednesday, when i finnish exams!lol

i'll keep you up to date,n let you know how i get on! :cool:

downsyndromedhorse
Pass Plus

Postby downsyndromedhorse » Mon May 17, 2010 12:41 pm

Ahh my bad i thought you had one already! lol.

There isn't a huge amount of space inside the armrest, so you'll need to get most of the insulation inside the parts. Ie the cavity space and i think you can remove the plastic under the lid, ram some in there and get that insulated.

Silicon sounds like a good idea as with the neoprene.

If the seal isn't great, its not the end of the world you can always insulate it more and find a better seal. You should try to get your materials in white, to make sure everything is reflected inwards, if you no what i mean.

You should probably line the insides with acrylic or something thin, would most likely be a better plastic to use than the armrest itself.

joeishmather
F1 Driver

Postby joeishmather » Mon May 17, 2010 1:04 pm

was thinking of painting all the inside compartment gloss white, leaving the rest black, shold work well, conducting where i want it to and reflecting where i dont!

im excited now, lol cant wait to do it, just want to get the exams over and out of the way!

dougieCC
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault megane CC 1.6

Postby dougieCC » Mon May 17, 2010 2:08 pm

Could you not just direct pipe from glovebox to the armrest, still insulate the armrest but a cold air feed redirected should suffice.

Alan
Megane CC 1.6vvt and 1.4 clio

joeishmather
F1 Driver

Postby joeishmather » Mon May 17, 2010 3:24 pm

dont know if all glove boxes are the same but mine doesnt really get all that cold, n thats in the uk where its fairly cold generally anyway,

plus the pipe would have to be insulated to stop the cool air warming up as it travelled to the armrest. good idea but dont really think it would be at all effiecint, dont think it would cool things all that much....

joeishmather
F1 Driver

Postby joeishmather » Mon May 17, 2010 6:47 pm

just been looking at alternatives to taking appart a small 12v fridge came across this which seems like it would work, not sure what to use as the heat sink but could use pc fan or similar with it? what do you think...
im thinking it might save me alot of time to just remove components of a bought unit??

Return to “Modifications”