Fridge

For all stuff related to modifying your car

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

joeishmather
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: 57 megane with roof, engine, wheels, doors... All the usual things.

Re: Fridge

Postby joeishmather » Mon May 17, 2010 6:48 pm

downsyndromedhorse
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 3DR Black 1.9dci Megane 04 Plate 120 BHP

Postby downsyndromedhorse » Tue May 18, 2010 8:51 am

That product in the link probably wouldn't be great, it would get very hot on one side.
The components from the fridge would be the best bet.

You could literaly just make the armrest work in the same way as the case would. However the issue your facing is how much space your left with.
You could try and get the cooling components inside the cavity in the arm rest, in between the double skin. That way you'll be saving space inside.

Dont think the Glove box thing would work, mine doesn't get that cold either and the pipe would need insulating all the way to the armrest.
3DR Black 1.9dci Megane 04 Plate 160Bhp(ish) - K&N Panel Filter - Full HID Conversion - Pioneer TS-Q131C - Koni -35mm lowering Springs - JVC Head unit - EGR Blanked - Decat fitted

joeishmather
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: 57 megane with roof, engine, wheels, doors... All the usual things.

Postby joeishmather » Wed May 19, 2010 8:58 pm

Got the armrest today, just got to get all the bits together and work out how to put it all together, I bought one if those things in the link, it's amazing how cold it gets in just a few seconds I'd frozen my finger to it! No joke, and used a heat sink from a pc to dissapate the heat, just got to work out how to fit it all together, thinking of attaching a metal plate to the cold bit to increase the cold surface area and therefor cooling mor air within the compartment... What do you think??

downsyndromedhorse
Pass Plus

Postby downsyndromedhorse » Fri May 21, 2010 9:39 am

How big is the area on the plate?
You could cut a piece to fit the bottom of the armrest, that would spread the cool area as much as you could.

How are you going to get rid of the heat?
I assume your going to mount this on the bottom of the arm rest?

Whats your plan for the 12v feed? Any idea where you can run it from to make sure its off when the engine is stopped?
You'll want to make sure that plate doesnt get too cold, it is going to be in a small space and will make it extremely cold inside.
3DR Black 1.9dci Megane 04 Plate 160Bhp(ish) - K&N Panel Filter - Full HID Conversion - Pioneer TS-Q131C - Koni -35mm lowering Springs - JVC Head unit - EGR Blanked - Decat fitted

joeishmather
F1 Driver

Postby joeishmather » Sat May 22, 2010 10:29 pm

got it ll fitted in the car now, its working ok, but the heat the thing produces is kinda counter acting the cool!lol so it will be needing some more insulating, tbh now all its got is silver foil, which will be doing f all!

i took the 12v from the cig lighter, i just split the original wires on their way to the socket, works well..

so far im happy with it, bar the fact its not so efficient, but that will hopefilly be put right when i add some more insulation.

i will pop some pics up if your interested, im amazed how nicely it all fits, just seems as tho its meant to be!!

oh, one thing i found was a fuse kept blowing as i put an inline switch in so i could put the fridge off,(it does go off with the ignition as it is but i wanted more control) and every time i switched it off it blew the fuse.... not too sure why, i even tried adding a diode, but that didint stop it. anyways i have now removed the switch and it just goes on and off with the car, which is good enough i guess! oh and no blowing fuses.. :-)

downsyndromedhorse
Pass Plus

Postby downsyndromedhorse » Mon May 24, 2010 7:55 am

Nice one, yeah definitely get the pics up.
Can you not squeeze a fan in to get the hot air out?

Well done, i'm impressed!

R55VYS
Advanced Driver

Postby R55VYS » Mon May 24, 2010 3:29 pm

not to put a downer on your project here but is all this not a bit of a waste of time? surely it will only worked when the car is switched on? and if not it will drain your battery.

joeishmather
F1 Driver

Postby joeishmather » Tue May 25, 2010 9:54 am

well, i guess, kinda.. but tbh im not exactly trying to put my house fridge out of buisness! just wanted to use it for long journeys, travelling to spain next month n really done it just for that!

R55VYS
Advanced Driver

Postby R55VYS » Tue May 25, 2010 4:03 pm

joeishmather wrote:well, i guess, kinda.. but tbh im not exactly trying to put my house fridge out of buisness! just wanted to use it for long journeys, travelling to spain next month n really done it just for that!

Ah i see, i should really have read all your posts. I just thought you'd been watching to much pimp my ride ha ha

joeishmather
F1 Driver

Postby joeishmather » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:11 am

fridge isnt working so well, i think the plate i made is too small, and the heat generated by hot side isnt really escaping anywhere, so the surrounding area gets rather warm which takes away from the cold.

im getting a larger plate cut to connect it to and this should help, i have also nicked some super insulation stuff which will hopefully stop the heat transferring!

i'll keep this updated as it progresses!lol

Return to “Modifications”