How To: Paint rear lights

For all stuff related to modifying your car

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Eightbitboy
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.9 dCi, Black, 3 door

Current Modifications: Sunstrip, Subwoofer and amp, DVD headunit.

How To: Paint rear lights

Postby Eightbitboy » Sat May 08, 2010 9:51 pm

Simple modification but i feel it finishes the car nicely.

Before Paint.

Begin by cleaning the lights to remove all trace of silicone.

Then mask off the fog lights, indicators, tail lights and reverse light (You will have to create your own shape for the tail light and brake light as there isnt a shape to follow here). I didnt mask off my reflector as i am going to be placing one in/on the bumper later.

Now paint the area using the colour of your choice and a heatgun (hairdryer for this...). Build up in thin layers so you can look at how dark it is and decide if another is needed.

If the paint is needed to be removed (this happened to us due to not masking out an area for the tail light) then Paint Away works great, I found this in B&Q in a small bottle.

Once the mask is complete remove the masking tape and apply a tinted lacquer over the top. Again use a heat gun while spraying if possible.

Allow to dry and replace on the car, look complete. Sorry for the lack of pictures, I forgot.

Megane 1.9 dCi, Black, 3 door

Current Modifications: Sunstrip, Subwoofer and amp, DVD headunit, Tinted windows.

R55VYS
Advanced Driver

Re: How To: Paint rear lights

Postby R55VYS » Thu May 13, 2010 12:46 pm

looks alright, think you could do with some gloss paint rather than matt though.

I will be flogging some black lexus lights for cheap soon, once iv pulled my finger out of my G-a

Return to “Modifications”